Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Korg MR-2 Anybody Using One?

(1/5) > >>

edtyre:
I just scored a used Korg MR-2 at a decent price. Used it for the first time last night,
so i'll give you my first impressions and compare it to the MR-1.

The MR-2's size is a little different, it's narrower and a slight bit taller than the MR-1.
Battery door on the back is similar to the Sony M-10. It uses (2) AA Batteries and SD cards.
The screen is a lot smaller on the MR-2, the size and metering of the MR-1 was just wonderful
but the screen on the MR-2 has all the info you need, and i had no problems seeing everything at
the show last night.

Korg got rid of the scroll wheel on the right side and added a menu button right under the screen.
Now there are separate buttons for increasing or decreasing the input level on the left side.

The battery life is still to be determined, i used the unit last night for 2.5 hours recording and 1.5 hours
of playback and there are still two bars (out of three) showing on the battery level. I am using Powerex 2700 AA's.
Different from the MR-1, this unit can be powered by the USB connection. I tryed this at home and it works fine,
as soon as you plug in the USB, the battery level changes to a USB logo. There is no connector for external battery.

Another big difference i noticed is adding a lot of gain with the MR-2, last night an acoustic player opened and i recorded a test track
using max gain and then lowering it every minute or so. After listening, there was no noise i could hear even at max gain. On the MR-1
loads of extra noise would be introduced by adding too much gain.

The headphone out sounds very good. I must admit i never used the MR-1's headphone out so i can't compare.
Every time i put the MR-2 in my pocket, the unit turned on. No problem, i know to use the hold switch.

The inputs are now unbalanced mini stereo for both line and mic. No more dual balanced inputs.
Can't comment on the internal mics, i won't use them. I noticed a wheel on the upper right side to rotate them.

How about the important part? Hows the sound? Well......after recording one show, it's hard to say if the MR-2 sounds better than the MR-1.
In my opinion it sounds just as good. With the changeable batteries and powering by USB, and the ability to record to SD cards Korg addressed
all the problems with the MR-1. The only thing wrong is the price. B&H Photo has reduced the price to $499.00

Samples here : http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=388908

beatkilla:
Does the hold button lock the record level as well?And is it a slider button or do you engage by holding for 5 seconds or something?

tim in jersey:
Hi Ed.

Could you snap a photo of the MR-2 next to the M-10 (I assume you still have the M-10).

edtyre:

--- Quote from: beatkilla on January 08, 2012, 08:24:40 PM ---Does the hold button lock the record level as well?And is it a slider button or do you engage by holding for 5 seconds or something?

--- End quote ---
Yep hold locks the record level and its a slider on the side that you slide up and it clicks in place.

edtyre:

--- Quote from: tim in jersey on January 08, 2012, 08:49:31 PM ---Hi Ed.

Could you snap a photo of the MR-2 next to the M-10 (I assume you still have the M-10).

--- End quote ---
The MR-2 is longer, narrower and thicker than the M-10.....but not by much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version