Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite (preferably free) VST EQ Plug-in?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Favorite (preferably free) VST EQ Plug-in?
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:27:07 AM »
My recordings with the new setup could use a little bass boost so am thinking of trying my hand in a touch of EQing.  I'm wondering what people like to use.

I'm not experienced in this at all, so am hoping to find something user friendly yet broad enough to actually get my hands a little dirty.

I would love an easy one with Audacity, but have stepped up to dabbling with Reaper so am planning on that for the more in depth stuff.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
Re: Favorite (preferably free) VST EQ Plug-in?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Not free, but this is my favorite:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/t-racks/moreinfo/moreinfo6.php

High precision, high definition Linear Phase Equalizer

What it is
The T-RackS 3 Linear Phase equalizer is a precision tool that allows for extremely detailed, clean and transparent tonal changes intervention on your audio material.

This equalizer is used for working on the tonal balance of the audio program with no additional color added providing total transparency and respect of the original sound. Linear Phase Equalization is a process that is only possible in the digital domain.

What it has
The T-RackS 3 Linear Phase EQ is comprised of six bands of fully parametric equalization, each band can be configured to work as a high pass, low shelving, peaking, high shelving or low pass, thus making the module extremely flexible.

Why You need one
This equalizer is perfect when you need to make eq adjustments on the audio program and have it not “appear” as equalized — This Linear Phase EQ allows you to make adjustments that sound as natural as possible, as if the audio was never touched.

When used in Linear Phase mode, no time and phase shifts are applied to the audio at the points where the program has been filtered. This allows for applying tonal enhancements as needed, but doesn’t add “colouring” to the sound, leaving it pristine and completely natural sounding unlike the operation of a conventional equalizer.

Linear phase equalization also allows for extremely delicate and critical operations on audio recordings, for example it will be possible to equalize your samples without creating clicks on the loop points, it will be possible to mix the original sound and the equalized one without having any phasing effect.

Also, if you recorded an instrument with multiple microphones, it will be very hard to maintain timing alignment by applying different equalizations to each microphone. Using Linear Phase equalization, instead, will make the EQ process to only apply tonal changes without any timing and mic-to-mic phase relationship alteration.

In critical mastering applications the T-RackS Linear Phase equalizer is the perfect choice when you want to either apply broad, gentle and crystal transparent tonal shaping or when you need to precisely intervene on a very narrow frequency spot in the most natural and undamaging possible way.

Listening to the musical program while toggling between the Linear or Minimum Phase modes clearly shows off the difference that a traditional phase-shifting analog-style EQ and a the Linear Phase process makes on music, Traditional EQs apply phase shift and thus “color” your sound inducing the character of the eq unit into the sound. The application of the Linear Phase EQ is less intrusive, less coloring and more respectful of the original tone and balance of the music.

All module processors and metering are also available as individual plug-ins for more convenient mixing within your DAW.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
I used t-racks in the early 2000s with CEP and it was amazing. I've no doubt the latest version is still quite good. Ozone is my current choice of software.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Definitely not free!  :o

Thanks for the reply though.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:32:50 PM »
The one in reaper is good enough for small adjustments, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll do more damage starting out while learning than the plugin will do in programatic shortcomings. If you want one that is linear phase based though, you may have to hunt more. The added advantage is that you can actually preview the audio in Reaper while Audacity only does a tweak, then render type preview which I think sucks.

Practice makes perfect, listen on lots of different systems, and best of luck.  :coolguy:
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
T-Racks 3 is available on a group buy right now. If you have another IKMultimedia product you can get the crossgrade for $99. It's $199 without the crossgrade pricing. And because the group buy objectives have been met they have now thrown in a 76 limiter and a 2A leveling amplifier for free. Both of those plugins are valued at $99 each. Killer deal if you could use the T-Racks processing. But only until March 31st !
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?deluxepromo/index.php

If you are looking for a free linear phase eq, Voxengo has one.

http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com