Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY single driver speakers/ speaker kits  (Read 3639 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DIY single driver speakers/ speaker kits
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »
anyone here make, making,want to make, or used DIY speaker kits or using a single driver set up now?    i use a small tube amp to power a set of Klipsch's with great results, but not the biggest fan of three way speakers on some music.   i loved my series 2 bose 901's ( had 2 sets rocking the old house! ) with there single drivers and no crossover design.   lots of music from one size driver, but there set up design wasnt efficient at lower volumes, and a smaller house led to there demise.   been really looking at the loaded horn design with fostex drivers.  tons of diff designs for the cabinets,  and a set of fostex speakers for every budget, large or small.    found a fostex single driver speaker kit for 315$$ plus like 45 bucks for shipping from Madison Sound put together from guys from Plant10 Hi-Fi.  great looking kit with all HQ parts.  dont think i can buy the stuff on my own for much less than that, plus no cutting mistakes that can cost more $$.  so, anyone else here into something like this or into single driver systems??    speak up TS'ers                ed
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:33:24 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: DIY single driver speakers/ speaker kits
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
I know a luthier who fiddled with the Fostex, Lowther, Tangband, and Pioneer drivers, built a few TQWT cabinets, and after a few months of tuning and fiddling had a pair of speakers which were not at all bad even when fed by my N0rh SE-9.

He ditched them for a pair of Audio Physics, which were a decided improvement.
Single Driver systems will almost always sacrifice frequency extension for phase coherence at some level.

The building and tuning of speakers is a hobby of its own.
He really wanted to prove that he could do it, but ultimately wanted to listen.

Here's a great site, if you haven't found it:
http://fullrangedriver.com/
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com