Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ATH-M50 Headphone Pads  (Read 16056 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
ATH-M50 Headphone Pads
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
I've owned a pair for maybe 2 years max and the ear pads are already rotted.  The naugahide vinyl surface has become very cracked (like shattered glass) and is flaking.  The headphones now are very uncomfortable and annoying to wear.  I'm really surprised and disappointed this happened so quickly on these phones, which I kinda still consider to be like new.  I'm seeing them recommended alot based on sound, but because of this experience, I can't recommend them.   

Anyway, two questions... 

Have other owners also experienced this?

Any recommended fixes or workarounds?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:44:20 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ATH-M50 Headphone Pads
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
I've owned a pair for maybe 2 years max and the ear pads are already rotted.  The naugahide vinyl surface has become very cracked (like shattered glass) and is flaking.  The headphones now are very uncomfortable and annoying to wear.  I'm really surprised and disappointed this happened so quickly on these phones, which I kinda still consider to be like new.  I'm seeing them recommended alot based on sound, but because of this experience, I can't recommend them.   

Anyway, two questions... 

I've been using mine on almost a daily basis for the past 3-4 years and they still look brand new.

Sorry, I'm of no help!

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »
^ It's a help to know that you haven't had the same experience. 

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
Have you contacted AT?

Based on my experience in getting replacement elastics for some 8410s I would expect they would take care of you by either sending free replacements or selling them at a greatly reduced cost considering the age of the phones.

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
^  I should do that. 

I looked and it looked to me like the pads can't be replaced, but sitting here typing at my computer at work, that doesn't make much sense.  They probably snap in or something.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »

Anyway, two questions... 

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/audio-technica-m50-cushion.php
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
I've had these for a few years and it's the headband pad that is disintegrating on me.  The covering is flaking off and is leaving exposed foam underneath.  The earpads are fine, if a bit hard.  I'm surprised as well that the headband is completely falling apart after just a few years and considering how well I take care of them.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

stevetoney

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
I've had these for a few years and it's the headband pad that is disintegrating on me.  The covering is flaking off and is leaving exposed foam underneath.  The earpads are fine, if a bit hard.  I'm surprised as well that the headband is completely falling apart after just a few years and considering how well I take care of them.

Strange...my headband is fine, but it sounds like the same material was used in both cases.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:42:10 AM »

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/audio-technica-m50-cushion.php

Saweet, thanks 1M!

No problem. I'm sure you noticed that you only get 1 pad for $9.99 + shipping, so you need to order 2. I didn't notice it until  now.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
I've had mine for a little over a year and the headband started looking like a leather couch that had been dumped in the woods a long time ago. Called AT here in Germany and their prices for replacement heandbands and ear cushions were so low that I ordered five of each. Took them about three months and a total of three shipments to mail them but I've got them eventually. They seem to have a central spares store somewhere in the UK since all parcels came from there.

Fitting the new headband is a little tricky since one has to remove and unsolder the entire right capsule although they're seeing little use lately since I got myself a beyerdynamic Headzone Pro which came with a DT 880 Pro. Now, that's altogether in a class of its own.

Still, really fine headphones.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
...and the headband started looking like a leather couch that had been dumped in the woods a long time ago.

Exactly...that is a good description.   :coolguy:

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
Upon a second (closer) look it does appear that my ear pads are breaking down slightly, right around where the temple pieces of my glasses rub against them.

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Upon a second (closer) look it does appear that my ear pads are breaking down slightly, right around where the temple pieces of my glasses rub against them.

Just for clarity in this thread, the degradation to my ear pads is significant and pronounced.  It all happened really quickly too.  It's like they were fine and then within a few months the material turned brittle, cracked, and flaking on 100% of the surface area of both ear pads. 

I'm not saying this to be a prima donna in this thead about what happened to my phones, but just for adequate description of what happened to me in case anyone else reads this thread down the road.  I'll be ordering replacement pads from the site in the link previously provided.  I'll report back about my experience on ease of replacement, comfort, etc.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on your experience, folks, and please keep us updated.  Wondering if it could be that certain batches of the material are wonky and why the degradation is affecting some but not all user's headphones?  For the record, I've had my set of ATH-M50's for nearly 3 years, use them several times a week for long sessions, don't take particularly good care of them, and they're still in great shape.  And now the earpads will fall apart on me in the next month. :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com