Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam/Teac VR-10 Digital Recorder  (Read 47998 times)

Offline UnknownVT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tascam/Teac VR-10 Digital Recorder
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
Slightly OT -
I don't monitor recordings with the Teac VR-10 (and/or my Tascam DR-07MkII)
- but usually during the break I like to hear what I've recorded -
for sometime I kept forgetting to bring along headphones......

Well those small IEM (In Ear Monitor) earphone are small and compact enough -
but a lot of the inexpensive are pretty poor -

However there are some pretty good sounding ones that are inexpensive -
a good reference is -
Multi-IEM Review - 271 IEMs compared at Head-Fi.org

One of the really outstanding ones is -
Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???

I now have multiple pairs of the Philips SHE3580 and they are astonishing and every bit as good as the numerous enthusiastic posts
- and at one time they could be found as low as <$6 shipped.

Unfortunately the Philips SHE3580 has recently been discontinued (for its replacement the SHE3590 - although it is said to be the same - feedback seems to suggest the original SHE 3580 may be "better")
there are some places that seem to be selling the SHE3580 at a premium -

I just found them at fleaBay for $6.95 shipped they claim to have more than 10+
and in black, blue, pink, and purple... ie: SHE3580, 3582, 3583, 3584 respectively

NOTE: from the item description -
New other (see details)
“OPEN BOX NEW, ITEM IS LIKE NEW! Original packaging was damaged and removed, item has been resealed in a poly bag. Show below. Item has been tested and sanitized if necessary.”

FWIW - I ordered a pair just before posting this - and according to eBay the item is already marked as shipped with a tracking number - now that is astonishingly fast!

Hope that helps.

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »
Back again with a couple more sample recordings from this cheapo Teac VR-10 using internal mics.

The first I think is quite extraordinary - considering the circumstances
venue was a museum atrium - not exactly known for good acoustics -
in fact it was pretty awful -

Recorder placement was on the table in front of the band - I moved the tip jar forward - so the VR-10 was pointing toward the band unhindered.

Original 24bit 48kHz LPCM converted to 44.1kHz MP3 vbr3 MP3Gain added:

Download 5.04MB

Can still hear the very echo-y room - but I think it does not detract too much.
Listening more carefully I can hear when the vocalist backs off the mic -
then her voice is not as reverb-y -
I think this was more a function of recording her voice more directly - rather than from the pa speakers.

I feel the recording was successful because of the close placement of the recorder/mics which recorded both the pa and a lot directly
so perhaps avoiding the very echo-y room acoustics.....

I am obviously not claiming this to be anywhere near great SQ - but it is extraordinary for the circumstances -
please let me know what you think?

Last night - different venue crowded club -

I think this is relatively successful  because I perched the VR-10 on top of the lighting control box which was just above head height -
notice the main pa speakers up just above that level in the picture.

I liked the performance especially the guitar playing -
but also notice the bass great tone and playing......

Same processing of the file as above:

Download 7.47MB

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:25 AM »
I know this is now an olde thread.... but I thought I'd share something I recorded -
any and all my recordings can only be regarded as casual and unattended -
this was the Teac VR-10 off the internal mics
set on a counter across the room from the band in the corner of the room....

Recorder was behind where this shot was taken:

Original 24bit 48kHz LPCM converted to 44.1kHz MP3 vbr3 MP3Gain added

Download (12.11MB)

Enjoy!

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
Sooooooooooo I bought one of this things (the Tascam, not the VR - so more expensive being the same device - the VR just seemed to be nowhere available in Spain) a few months ago and I am VEERRYYY happy with the results. it's smaller than my smartphone and works a treat. Both with internal mics and with any external mix i've thrown at it (CA14s+UBB, AT943's+SPSB3 bbox, CAFS+UBB, and all of those mics just with plug in power), it works a treat!!! Best piece of gear I've ever bought for 60€.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Sooooooooooo I bought one of this things (the Tascam, not the VR - so more expensive being the same device - the VR just seemed to be nowhere available in Spain) a few months ago and I am VEERRYYY happy with the results. it's smaller than my smartphone and works a treat. Both with internal mics and with any external mix i've thrown at it (CA14s+UBB, AT943's+SPSB3 bbox, CAFS+UBB, and all of those mics just with plug in power), it works a treat!!! Best piece of gear I've ever bought for 60€.

Cool!

Do you mean the Tascam PR-10?

Through your earlier encouragement I am using my Teac VR-10 at almost every gig -
more than my "better" Tascam DR-07 mkII
Just because of the tiny size and portability.

It's an amazing recorder for the size and price.

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
Nope, a Tascam DR-08:

I'm using it in less taper-friendly enviroments than you I'm afraid (aka bigger venues -arenas and even stadiums from far away- with less than optimal placement) but still I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. I've also used it as a backup recorder (the main rig being a pair of mics > bb > Roland R-05) and the recordings ended up being almost as good as the main one, so I can say I am happy, happy, happy with this purchase. I highly encourage everyone to get one, if only for the small price and size. You won't be disappointed!!
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »
Nope, a Tascam DR-08:

I'm using it in less taper-friendly enviroments than you I'm afraid (aka bigger venues -arenas and even stadiums from far away- with less than optimal placement) but still I'm very happy with the results I'm getting. I've also used it as a backup recorder (the main rig being a pair of mics > bb > Roland R-05) and the recordings ended up being almost as good as the main one, so I can say I am happy, happy, happy with this purchase. I highly encourage everyone to get one, if only for the small price and size. You won't be disappointed!!

Excellent - I considered the Teac VR-20

because I thought I liked the versatility of the rabbit ears microphone configuration
(which is BTW why I bought the Tascam DR-07mkII)

But as it was I am glad I got what I got because I have versatility of the mics on the DR-07mkII, and the smaller less fragile portability of the Teac VR-10.

Glad you like the Tascam DR-08

EDIT to ADD -

Only just noticed - the Tascam DR-08 can record at 96kHz vs. 48kHz of the Teac VR-10 or 20.
Is the 96kHz ability a real practical or just a theoretical advantage?

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
The "rabbit mics" has saved some of my recordings where I had to tie the recorder somewhere not stage-oriented. Then I swapped one of the mics so it was facing the PA and... vòila! A good recording. Of course the channel that didn't face the PA sounds a bit muffled, but some post proccessing took care of that no prob.

Regarding your last question......... Well, there's a looooot of discussion regarding 44/48/96 kHz and everyone seems to be right while telling that everyone else is wrong. I am not an audiophile and I convert my recordings to MP3 a lot of times (saving the originals of course) just for convenience - therefore I don't care. I use to record at 44 kHz and 16 bits (sometimes 24), but others will tell you that 48/24 is the way to go, others that 96/16, etc etc. Never ending debate. You can read further in some of this topics:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=94980.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=163073.msg2045130#msg2045130
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157049.msg1981989#msg1981989

(You can find plenty more with the search function. As I said it's a recurrent debate :P)
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Regarding your last question......... Well, there's a looooot of discussion regarding 44/48/96 kHz and everyone seems to be right while telling that everyone else is wrong. I am not an audiophile and I convert my recordings to MP3 a lot of times (saving the originals of course) just for convenience - therefore I don't care. I use to record at 44 kHz and 16 bits (sometimes 24), but others will tell you that 48/24 is the way to go, others that 96/16, etc etc. Never ending debate.

Thanks for the comments - I have recorded where the VR-10 was not in front facing the stage -
from the side (eg: Download 6.28MB)
and once when I found someone had moved my VR-10 and had it sideways to the stage - I tried to hear when that occurred, but could not find it.....
I think it might be because the mics on the VR-10 are omnidirectional? 
But I am (pleasantly) surprised by the sound stage.

I did a lot of (re)searching here on TapersSection before I bought my VR-10 and followed the advice to record at 24/48 -
I also convert them to flac8 (still 24/48) to archive -
but convert to MP3 vb3 (16/44.1) for home listening
(vbr6 for portable mp3 players)

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
1) I would be so PISSED if I found that someone had been messing with my recording gear, the gear I adore and I have fought and paid big money to get.

2) I'm surprised that you can't hear the difference in the recording, even with omnidirectional mics there's a noticeable difference if they're directly facing or not the PA. What distance from the spearkers was the recording at?
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
1) I would be so PISSED if I found that someone had been messing with my recording gear, the gear I adore and I have fought and paid big money to get.

2) I'm surprised that you can't hear the difference in the recording, even with omnidirectional mics there's a noticeable difference if they're directly facing or not the PA. What distance from the spearkers was the recording at?

I agree I was shocked and miffed when I found my VR-10 sideways -
it was the recording I posted in « Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:06 PM » (Download 7.47MB)
probably not the tune where the VR-10 was moved.

The position was about 4 ft behind where I took this shot:

at just about top of the head height - it was on the top of a light control box set on a wide pillar.

I may well have missed the turn or perhaps I was just lucky that it was moved only at the end....
and that it wasn't stolen.

Of course - I am at gigs mainly to photograph
that's why my recordings are "casual" and why they are unattended
but staying pissed doesn't help any or remedy anything......

Thanks

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »
Yeah, I would have been worried for it to get stolen - although it's such a cheap piece of gear that you can easily replace it :P The sound ain't bad at all, not the best recording made with this recorder, but still very nice for a casual recording.
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »
Yeah, I would have been worried for it to get stolen - although it's such a cheap piece of gear that you can easily replace it :P The sound ain't bad at all, not the best recording made with this recorder, but still very nice for a casual recording.
Being stolen is always a possibility, for the way I record unattended -
but the rewards far outweigh any anxiety -
and I learnt to just stop worrying about it -
of course, I still glance over at where I left my VR-10......

Anyway another recording from that same venue above from the same position - Saturday
the volume was loud enough, so record level "0" was almost perfect (almost 0 Replay Gain when converting with Flac FrontEnd)

Download (20.93MB)

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »
Recording from Saturday Sept/28/2013 turned out better than my already optimistic expectations
- it was an all acoustic set tribute to Dave Brubeck in a church.

can just see the Teac VR-10 through back gap on the third from left seat.

Download folder

VR-10 24bit 48kHz >Flac8 >vbr3 with resample to 44.1kHz +MP3Gain

Offline LikeASong

• Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
Holy shit, that sounds nifty  :o

Amazing Blue Rondo by the way, what an amazing piece it is.

EVERYONE should visit this thread and listen to some of that recordings, it would help a lot to change the general assumption that internal mics are always, invariably, shit.
-U2

-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com