Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4098H miniature supercardioid  (Read 17116 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA 4098H miniature supercardioid
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
I'll need them sooner than your's would get here.  I have the material to whip up a couple rats and likely will do so this weekend, but the foam of the existing screens is very thin, even for only playing the role of under-fur spacing.  It's wall thickness is only like 3/32".  I did one outside test recording of some music about a month ago with just the existing foam screens and just a rather-slight occassional breeze produced audible rumble.   I suspect I'll need some thicker foam for effective use of the rats.

Thanks for the heads up on the email, haven't been on-line that much over the past week.
I donno if you ad rats to the mix you will get a huge reduction is wind. Even if your mics windscreens are not "great" I have some long windscreens here. When I finish the other project up for you I will send you a pair to check out. If you like them I will order more.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »
Thanks.  I'll probably simply stitch up some rats for the existing thin foams to get me through the Bear Creek festival next week (an event I configure a special rig for which is a primary motivation for giving these mics a try).  Might cut up some other foams I have laying around to get additional airspace under the rats if I can find something appropriate and do it cleanly.

Checked the Windtech and Rycote sites and found a Rycote "mini-softie" foam/fur combo (listed as 4cm mini softie #033003) specifically for the 4098.  Checking a few vendors websites, none had that part listed, but the "mini-softies" for larger mics are all about $120 each or more.  Significantly more than I'm willing to invest for this.  They make quality stuff and I'm sure they fit and work well, but I was rather shocked to find mini foam/furs can command that kind of coin.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
I bet that one of the Audio-Technica windscreens made for their unipoint or slimline mics would work.

Something like this:
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=6&subID=48&prodID=3069

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 12:14:45 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
Ran out of time to order the appropriate real foam windscreens, but foam hair curler inserts repurposed as windscreens worked well last weekend on my first real use of these mics other than a couple test recordings.   Bought a pack of 8 for a buck at the dollar store across the street and stuffed a couple of them in my ears as a quick high frequency reduction check.  They seemed about as transparent as my other 'real' foam windscreens.  I sprayed them with some silicone water repellant I was treating other camp gear with as well.  The overall dimensions were perfect and the hole through the center of the foam cylinder fit snuggly over the small diameter mic and interference tube.  The breeze outside at the event was mild (the HVAC at an inside location I also recorded at actually blew harder and directly on them). So this was no heavy windstorm test and I didn't get around to cutting a small plug of foam from one of the extras to fill the hole exit out the front of the foam cylinder, but that didn't seem to matter.

The flexibility of the attached gooseneck was really nice for correctly orienting them and providing some impact protection.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:13:29 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »
That's an awesome rig you have thereā€¦
You must need to stake or sandbag the base of the stand?  Especially outside, I'd imagine it could take flight.

How did the recording come out?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »
It's designed to be super mobile rather than staked or bagged in place and must definitely remain attended and not left alone in a crowd. The small bag with preamps, recorder and batteries hangs between the stand legs directly below the vertical tube for a central and lowered center of gravity, which helps with stability.  That keeps it quite stable if not accidentally knocked or grabbed.  I can grab the stand with one hand with its telescopic arms fully deployed and move it searching for the sweet spot.. or if I need to move it away quickly.  If moving it very far (like to a different performance stage) I'll retract and fold the arms to make it more manageable navigating through a crowd.

The recordings sound quite promising on direct multi-channel playback of the raw files. I haven't had a chance to edit anything yet or do any 2-channel down-mixes, but I expect that to work well since it has previously using other cards or supercards in the same rig before trying the 4098s. 

That rig is spaced 4061 omnis > CA-UGLY > DR2d (line input) as Left / Right channels,
and the 4098 supercards > MMA6000 > DR2d (mic input) as center / back channels.

I'll work on getting some samples up for anyone interested when I get a chance.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »
Update on the search for appropriate outdoor windscreens for the 4098H-

The dual-layer Audix WS1281 foam windscreen was suggested as a possible fit, but it's bore was not deep enough to fit the length of this mic with it's miniature interference tube.  However, by removing the smaller foam insert and replacing that with the make-shift hair-culer foam screens, the screens fit the mics very well and and seem as if they will provide sufficient protection for reasonable outdoor conditions without too much wind.  I'd used the big dual-layer foam Shure screens with the hair-curler foams inside the same way, which provided good wind protection, but was too heavy for the microphone's integral flexible goose-neck to support without drooping.

Details and more photos can be found over in the oddball thread- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96009.msg2141441#msg2141441

Here's a few from there which sum it up-

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
I love the section...........Hair curler foam inserts...  we are an ingenious group of mofos.  LOL

peace ook
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »
Found this video on DPA's miniature microphone tech on their website-
DPA webinar: Miniature Microphone Technology https://youtu.be/SEtfvq1RhDw

Details on the miniature pressure omni series- 4060/61/62/63 as well as the miniature pressure gradient mics- 4080/98/99, including info on the miniature interference tubes these mics use, confirming much of what we speculated about earlier in this thread.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
Any good samples to be listen to from section of a Saenger sized theater?

I wonder what these could do in a typical noisey bar.    :hmmm:
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Not familiar with the Saenger.  Most of what I have with them in is my oddball 4 or 6 channel rig in combination with omnis, most of that outdoors.  I did do a couple straight near-spaced stereo config recordings with them early on that I'll try and dig up.  One was a comp with them in the same setup as a MG210 pair as I recall - Galactic at Revolution Live in Ft Lauderdale I think - which is sort of a medium sized club / larger bar, with typical bar noise and talking.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »
^ I'd love to hear that comp, if you can find it!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »
I'll take a look.  Unfortunately much of my storage is offline currently. 

I do remember my personal take away, which was this-
The reduced bass sensitivity of the 4098 at a distance actually worked better than I though it would in that particular room to tame overly active subs.  I was able to EQ things to where I was happy with the recording using just those two mics, which is always one of my primary litmus tests.  After bass EQ, these were still somewhat brighter overall than the MG210 pair, but not in a way which was shrill or out of control.  Again, being manageable to achieve the tonal balance I was happy with without EQ frustrations.  On the more subtle attributes, the Gefells remained unmatched for overall imaging smoothness and apparent depth perception (image depth, noticing front/back dimensional layering).  The Gefells remain my reference cards and supercards.  If I was using single stereo pairs, that difference would be more persuasive to me in many situations, but certainly not all.  The way I'm using them in my multi-channel arrays that difference becomes more or less mute, and I don't think at all about a reduction in quality substituting them for the Geffs in those multichannel arrays, only about the reduction in size, weight, cost, and a greatly reduced vulnerability to dampness and foul weather.

Hope that helps.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com