Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 107311 times)

Offline taperjeff

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA recordings:
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
gutbucket, I was in stereo mode and switched to 6 channel.  The channels returned  ;D  Very wierd.  I'm gonna initialize the unit as a precaution to prevent reoccurence. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »
Good idea to also check and confirm the firmware is up to date.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline taperjeff

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA recordings:
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »
I checked and I have version 1.2.  Glad I still have a warranty though.  :o

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »
just reportin' in! Thought I had in previous threads however I wasn't getting any alerts 
 ???

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »
just reportin' in! Thought I had in previous threads however I wasn't getting any alerts 
 ???

FYI, you don't need to post to get alerts. Just click the "Notify" button.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
hmm, well it shows as being notified as that button says unnotify now

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
I've owned my DR-680 for over a year and am only now playing with it for the first time and considering using it tomorrow night at a show.  I've been playing around with it for an hour or so, connected my mics to channels 1/2 and connected the outputs of my HD-P2 to channels 3/4 to play the role of my SBD feed.  I think I've got most of it figured out, but there are a couple things I can't figure out, and I'm short on time for navigating all of the threads.  Apologies in advance if my questions are discussed elsewhere.

1.  I'm using a 16 GB card.  During my tests, all the tracks were armed for recording (by default), and I hit the "display" button to check the available recording time.  It reported 2:04:09.  That's not enough time, so I assumed I just needed to tell it not to record channels 5/6 and the mix.  I unarmed those tracks, started recording again, hit "display", and, again, it reported 2:04:09.  My calculations suggest I should be getting much more time than that, so what's going on?  The card is formatted.

2.  To adjust the record levels, it makes me adjust each channel of each stereo pair individually.  I seem to recall discussion of these being able to be linked somehow, but a quick search turned up nothing, presumably because I'm not recalling the name of the function and am not searching correctly.

These are the only problems I can find right now.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »
1.  I'm using a 16 GB card.  During my tests, all the tracks were armed for recording (by default), and I hit the "display" button to check the available recording time.  It reported 2:04:09.  That's not enough time, so I assumed I just needed to tell it not to record channels 5/6 and the mix.  I unarmed those tracks, started recording again, hit "display", and, again, it reported 2:04:09.  My calculations suggest I should be getting much more time than that, so what's going on?  The card is formatted.

2.  To adjust the record levels, it makes me adjust each channel of each stereo pair individually.  I seem to recall discussion of these being able to be linked somehow, but a quick search turned up nothing, presumably because I'm not recalling the name of the function and am not searching correctly.

These are the only problems I can find right now.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1) Remaining time is for that file, not the card.

2) Press and hold the button for one channel, then press the button for the next channel. In trim mode.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »

2) Press and hold the button for one channel, then press the button for the next channel. In trim mode.

Thanks! 

Follow-up questions, since I've had to break everything down and get it packed up for tomorrow (to take to work with me).

1.  So is there no visible measure of the remaining time on the card, anywhere?
2.  Can I link those channels in advance, before the show, and have them still be linked when I go to make adjustments after the show starts?  Or are they only linked until I exit the Rec Trim menu?  Do they stay linked through a power off/on sequence and have to be manually unlinked?

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »
1) Not that I'm aware of.

2) IIRC the linking stays through power cycles. I think.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
1) Not that I'm aware of.

2) IIRC the linking stays through power cycles. I think.

Okay -- I'll just have faith that there will be enough record time.  I'm sure the show will be less than 4 hours, and maybe less than 3 hours.  So 16 GB should be enough to not even have to worry about it.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
Track linking doesn't remain through power cycles on mine. Also, you can gang/ungang track linking in trim, pan or mix level screens.

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »

Thanks! 

Follow-up questions, since I've had to break everything down and get it packed up for tomorrow (to take to work with me).

1.  So is there no visible measure of the remaining time on the card, anywhere?
2.  Can I link those channels in advance, before the show, and have them still be linked when I go to make adjustments after the show starts?  Or are they only linked until I exit the Rec Trim menu?  Do they stay linked through a power off/on sequence and have to be manually unlinked?

If you go into the menu and look at the card it will tell you how much space you have. It doesn't count down on the display window while recording however.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »
I see the levels go from -32 to +32.  I'm used to pulling SBD feeds on an M10, and I know if I have to set the M10 below 3 (or so) then the signal is probably too hot.  What's the equivalent on this deck?

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
I see the levels go from -32 to +32.  I'm used to pulling SBD feeds on an M10, and I know if I have to set the M10 below 3 (or so) then the signal is probably too hot.  What's the equivalent on this deck?

I want to say I generally run from somewhere between 0 to +5 from soundboards. As long as the signal itself isn't overloaded, I would think the 680 would be able to handle hotter levels fine (with the trim in the negative range), although I haven't run into a situation like that yet.

FWIW, I've mentioned this before, but if you are recording something with mics that is quiet, it's probably better to set the mic gain to HIGH and turn the trim down than to set the gain to LOW and turn the trim up. That is, if you have the trim set to 20 or 25 with the gain set to LOW, change the gain to HIGH and set the trim at -5 or 0. There will be a lot less noise that way. I'm not sure why the instruction manual says the opposite.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com