Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deleting encore crowd noise and cross-fading  (Read 8230 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: Deleting encore crowd noise and cross-fading
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
It is surprisingly simple and results in a show that flows better - who needs the crowd noise?

I hear Neil Young's next Archives project is going to be a 4-disc set of nothing but crowd noise.

It's not a montage, it's all one song..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
Personally I always track the crowd encore call as a separate track, and I always leave it because otherwise (IMO anyhow) without it you don't have the full concert experience.

Agreed, I just leave it intact to the whole concert is included start to finish. In the encore breaks I have captured some hilarious crowd banter which often brings a smile to my face and reminds me of the shows I was attending.

It is easy enough to skip over if people don't want to listen to it.

^^my vote^^

^^ me too ^^ ...but it depends on the show.  sometimes the crowd noise during the encore break is not good listening (i.e. extremely loud whistling and/or clapping that is just abrassive on the ear) so i chop it out altogether and just fade from the last song of the set into the encore.  i've also tracked the encore break separately, but more often just leave whatever portion of the encore break that sounds good and keep it attached to the last track of the main set.  i think it just comes down to preference.  there's no wrong answer in my opinion.  as long as all the music is there that's all i really care about. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 02:14:31 PM »
Well, I'll try the montage next time.  Easier is better for me.  ;D

Okay, so I guess someone needs to explain how I get the track saved out of the montage.  It works as described (crossfading after the deleted portion removed), but now the montage sees it as three clips and I can't see how to get a new version of the WAV file saved.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »
Great point. Plus if it's tracked separately, you can make a montage of various crowd noises from all kinds of shows and have a trivia game: match the crowd to the band.

You're a genius.

This is the sort of madness I come here for  :D

:clapping:
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, Jon.  I'll give it a shot on the next show I master.  I used my original technique on today's show.

It seems to me that I still have to figure out how best to utilize montage for editing.  It didn't make much sense to me today and I ended up editing (fades, levels) the show in Wavelab as I normally do.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 05:18:57 AM »
I'm not in front of a PC with Wavelab on it at the moment but I think all you need to do is click "render as" or "export as" from (I think) the File menu.

I never had to put any track or CD markers in, unless I was actually preparing an audio CD/DVD.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
The markers are created by Wavelab when I delete the encore crowd noise.  If I do a render as, I doesn't do all the clips, just one of them.  As Jon said, I think I need to delete the markers.

Link to LMA Recordings

ilduclo

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
thanks for the method, I'll try it a little more, myself. There's a recent show on LMA of Acid Mother Temple that has major crowd noise issues. I might try to do it to that one, since the band was playing really well, but the taper did like no edits at all ???

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
The markers are created by Wavelab when I delete the encore crowd noise.  If I do a render as, I doesn't do all the clips, just one of them.  As Jon said, I think I need to delete the markers.

Weird, I don't remember having to do that but perhaps things differ in different versions of WL. Or maybe there are some preferences I changed at some point. I'll have to dig out my old laptop and revisit my workflow.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
Personally I always track the crowd encore call as a separate track, and I always leave it because otherwise (IMO anyhow) without it you don't have the full concert experience.

Agreed, I just leave it intact to the whole concert is included start to finish. In the encore breaks I have captured some hilarious crowd banter which often brings a smile to my face and reminds me of the shows I was attending.

It is easy enough to skip over if people don't want to listen to it.

^^my vote^^

I was thinking about this comment recently and not sure I agree with the "you don't have the full concert experience" comment.  If you really believe this, you should leave the recording running during the 30-45 min. set break and include that, too.  Sorry, but it doesn't hold water that the 5 minute encore break is essential to the "full concert experience."   I don't recall seeing a single recording where someone included the set break.

Link to LMA Recordings

Marshall7

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
Why would you think set break was part of the concert?  If you're going to think that you might as well start recording the minute you leave home.  Or maybe the minute you buy the ticket.  ;D

I don't think anyone (well, maybe other than you) would disagree that the encore break was part of the concert.

Offline badronald

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »
I always keep the encore break.  I also keep the after show "walk to the car" part for my own OCD reasons.    You catch a lot of comments from people about the show or just random stuff.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com