Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode M5  (Read 19075 times)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rode M5
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Haven't heard of many problems with the Avantones.  Nice thing is that they have a five-year transferable warranty.

Rode extends their standard 1-year warranty to 10 years when you register your microphones with them.

The Line Audio CM3s that were mentioned are also nice mics and, as OOK pointed out, have a flatter frequency response and are quieter, but you can get a pair of the M5s for what a single CM3 will cost.  Also, for the far-field recordings that we generally do, the mid/upper frequency bump that the M5 has isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Congrats on your new mics, harmon712.  Looking forward to hearing recordings with them!

Offline cjc1103

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • So much music, so little time!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
The M5 is a cheap mic, nothing in common with NT5 (which is not too good either), higher self noise, and it has an electret non removable capsule. Yes electret caps can sound just fine, but generally the more expensive mics have true condensor caps. If it works for you, great, but there are lots of better mics out there.
Chris
Chattanooga, TN

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
The M5 is a cheap mic, nothing in common with NT5 (which is not too good either), higher self noise, and it has an electret non removable capsule. Yes electret caps can sound just fine, but generally the more expensive mics have true condensor caps. If it works for you, great, but there are lots of better mics out there.
I got it to check out for now, other than that I've been using Zoom H4n built in mic or SBD.  I'll see how it works for me 'til I get something else, thinking about Busman BSC1.
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »

So you've heard/used it?

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
I'm going to be testing the mics out with my friends band Afternoon Moon tomorrow and next week The Ragbirds and Old Shoe at Castle Theatre in Bloomington, IL.  If anyone wants to hear how they sound I can put a link in the Kickdown Central section after it's on LMA.  I will also be going M5 > Zoom H4n no preamp, will be saving for one and maybe another recorder sometime.
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
I picked up a pair today. The first pair was a no-go: one was significantly louder than the other. Exchanged those and the second pair sounds nice.

I'm going to have to investigate one issue, however. The body of the mic isn't grounded to pin 1, and while that isn't a problem with my Mackie mixer for some reason, it's causing hum with my DR-680, unless I ground the mic body somehow. I'm going to contact Rode, but presumably I'll need to make sure I use cables where the XLR shell is grounded.

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
Here is my recording of The Ragbirds with the M5's.  Rode M5 straight into Zoom H4n, no preamp.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167475.0

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:21:39 PM »
Here is my recording of The Ragbirds with the M5's.  Rode M5 straight into Zoom H4n, no preamp.

any chance we could hear the Neumann KM140 Cardiods track
from this one?  V

https://archive.org/details/TRB2014-03-29.CastleTheatreFLAC

Then we could make a informed opinion.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »

any chance we could hear the Neumann KM140 Cardiods track
from this one?  V

https://archive.org/details/TRB2014-03-29.CastleTheatreFLAC

Then we could make a informed opinion.
I will send Don a email and see if I can get that.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 12:55:03 AM »
I picked up a pair today. The first pair was a no-go: one was significantly louder than the other. Exchanged those and the second pair sounds nice.

I'm going to have to investigate one issue, however. The body of the mic isn't grounded to pin 1, and while that isn't a problem with my Mackie mixer for some reason, it's causing hum with my DR-680, unless I ground the mic body somehow. I'm going to contact Rode, but presumably I'll need to make sure I use cables where the XLR shell is grounded.

Ok, Rode said to send the mics back, and they exchanged them for a new pair. These *are* properly grounded and don't exhibit any hum with my 680, except initially one of the two had issues when I touched the mesh in front of the capsule. It appeared that wasn't getting grounded properly. A few taps later and things are fine.

So, they seem to sound nice, and Rode was helpful to work with, but it seems like they might have some QC issues to work through.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
So, they seem to sound nice, and Rode was helpful to work with, but it seems like they might have some QC issues to work through.

They seem to have more QC probs than what one should expect with all the fuzz they make about how much better they are than the Chinese.

I've just sent yet another NT5 in for repair because after a few minutes it produces a loud pop and then drops in sensitivy by some 20 dB until it is switched off and on again. Already had the same trouble wth the other mic of this stereo pair.

My NT2As have lots of fine scratches in the finish of the body. None of that on a pair of B*hring*r B2 which are older and get treated exactly the same way the Rodes do.

Ralf
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:20:30 PM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline sic_tune

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 04:41:35 AM »
I just listened to the samples on the Rode website.
To me, the choir recording sounds absolutely noisy, making the microphones unusable for this application (at least for me).
Am I the only one having this impression? I'd really be interested in a second opinion on this sample.

Offline harmon712

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »
Here's 2 recordings both by me from NYE using both Rode M5 & Busman BSC1

Rode M5 > Zoom H4n: https://archive.org/details/cf2015-12-31.rodem5.flac16

Busman BSC1 > Naiant Tinybox > Marantz PMD620 MKII: https://archive.org/details/cf2015-12-31.bsc1.flac16 

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
I would say the line audio's are of slightly better quality.  I know they are hand tuned and matched to very tight tolerances.  They are also ruler flat compared to the bump with the Rodes.  Also the line audios are wide cards verses m5 cards.  The line audio's are also 3db quieter.

I owned a pair of line audio om1. Punched above their weight even for omnis, but beware.....you cannot phantom power them with a Marantz 661, e p48 isn't compatible. I'd take a wild Guess that the cm3 has the same issue.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com