Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm Officially Retired...  (Read 21364 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I'm Officially Retired...
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2014, 07:53:53 AM »
I think I bought and sold 2 or 3 Church Audio sets before I just said "fuck it, I'm not going to do this again" and kept my non-stealth gear. I can see why others do it, but short of one or two bands, the cost/benefit analysis just isn't in my favor.

That's so funny cause I did exactly the same thing.  Now I've got 2 gigs coming this summer that I have tix for that need to be  >:D and the thought crosses my mind to do it all over again even though I declared myself retired at the start of this thread.  LOL.  Terry said it earlier I guess...you can take the >:D gear from a taper, but once a >:D always a >:D deep down in the heart. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:57:47 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
You need a nice AT853 set! ;D
<ducks>

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
I think I bought and sold 2 or 3 Church Audio sets before I just said "fuck it, I'm not going to do this again" and kept my non-stealth gear. I can see why others do it, but short of one or two bands, the cost/benefit analysis just isn't in my favor.

That's so funny cause I did exactly the same thing.  Now I've got 2 gigs coming this summer that I have tix for that need to be  >:D and the thought crosses my mind to do it all over again even though I declared myself retired at the start of this thread.  LOL.  Terry said it earlier I guess...you can take the >:D gear from a taper, but once a >:D always a >:D deep down in the heart.

You can always borrow my AT943 hypers rig, Steve.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

stevetoney

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

Oooh yeah man.  Thanks Gil.  Thats an attractive option!  The shows I'm hittin' are Jack White and Jurrasic 5, both the same week in July I think.

adrianf74

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »

Oooh yeah man.  Thanks Gil.  Thats an attractive option!  The shows I'm hittin' are Jack White and Jurrasic 5, both the same week in July I think.

Exactly.  There's always somebody nearby with some small mics to be loaned out for those times where you need to.

Really, I don't see it truly being that much more involved whether I wear actives or small mics -- it's more or less the same pain in the ass pretending to be a mic stand for 2+ hours.  :D

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
I still have an open rig, just in case...  I recently sold my TLs and picked up some AKGs, I'm itching to try them... 

If you get desperate to tape, you could always use your new mics to record your wife bitching at you about having mics.  ;D

I'd have to borrow a  >:D rig, or else I'd get bitch-slapped...

Terry

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't she want you to tape or own mics anymore?  What would she rather you do with that money/time?  (since it always seems to come down to $ & time with the ladies).

DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't she want you to tape or own mics anymore?  What would she rather you do with that money/time?  (since it always seems to come down to $ & time with the ladies).

Its not that she doesn't want me to tape...  Its that she works 4 nights out of the week and I have our 2yo and 4yo kids those nights...  So that limits my taping severely...  Heather actually told me several years ago NOT to sell my mics, since then I've used them a total of ZERO times...

I think she would let me out on a friday or sat night, but honestly there hasn't been anything I've wanted to tape in a long time...  Well, there have been a few things, but I'm less and less motivated these days... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »

Its not that she doesn't want me to tape...  Its that she works 4 nights out of the week and I have our 2yo and 4yo kids those nights...  So that limits my taping severely...  Heather actually told me several years ago NOT to sell my mics, since then I've used them a total of ZERO times...

I think she would let me out on a friday or sat night, but honestly there hasn't been anything I've wanted to tape in a long time...  Well, there have been a few things, but I'm less and less motivated these days... 

Gotcha.  Totally understand - I completely took a step away from the scene once my kiddos were born.  Now that they are 6 & 8, I can venture back into the water!   Here's hoping you find your way back sooner rather than later!
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »

Gotcha.  Totally understand - I completely took a step away from the scene once my kiddos were born.  Now that they are 6 & 8, I can venture back into the water!   Here's hoping you find your way back sooner rather than later!

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to it... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »
Here in Europe the kind of music I like is non-open 99% of the time. There is no other choice than to stealth.

This is not my experience - I have open taped in Holland, Spain (several times), and at 30+ venues in London - it just takes more work/persuasion. Yes, it's more difficult / impossible for the larger venues, but the small-medium venues are generally OK with it, providing the band say yes. About 50% of my recordings are open, and I am out on average once or twice a week.

I use exactly the same rig whether I am open, or stealthing, just add a mic stand or clamp.

Like I said. All the depends on the music you like.
Music I like is almost never open taping in Europe.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »
Part of it depends on how you define "open." Not much of what I've recorded over the last 2 or 3 years is open in terms of I can just walk in and setup, but all of it was done with prior approval that I negotiated well in advance. You'd be surprised what you can get approval for if you are willing to put in a serious amount of effort and negotiation beforehand. Doesn't always work, but it's better than I expected.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
I think there's a certain degree of humility involved in knowing who to ask and how to ask and then showing appreciation for being allowed to record.  I got to put my mic stand in just the right spot and the sound board guy GAVE me a usb recording off the board without me even asking this weekend.  These guys were super nice, and I came away with a recording that made all the effort worthwhile.   

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »
I hated stealth/non-open gigs at first, but the way my tastes have been running lately, I dig the .007 gigs the most. Jazz/non-rock gigs in quiet rooms/respectful crowds.

Heh. I have some frickin' outstanding choral recordings along that line. And a few that were not outstanding only because someone was rattling her program right next to me. That being said, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of releasing them, even on $ROIO_TORRENT_TRACKER.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »
And a few that were not outstanding only because someone was rattling her program right next to me.

iZotope Rx3 Advanced.  Declick and Attenuate.   Comes out clean and fresh smelling, better than bleach in your laundry.

Jeff

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
Steve, I am the EXACT same way as you are buddy ;) I havent steal&hed in 15 years and I will NEVER do it again either. TOTAL buzzkill for me too. I mean, yeah its cool to have a show like that and all, but I make WAY too many noises and cant stand still for ONE SECOND, let alone hours at a time. I dont have the energy to do it and its simply ZERO fun for me. So if I cant openly tape it, I'm not going. Period.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com