Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: We've Come A Long Way...  (Read 2569 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
We've Come A Long Way...
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »
I have nothing specific to say other than I think back to hissy Maxell XLII cassette tapes, which back in the day were the shit, and I think about what a long way we've come in a relatively short time with DAWs.  Some of the technology we have on our computers now were either a pipe dream 20 years ago or cost thousands to have the pros do. 

Amazing.

adrianf74

Re: We've Come A Long Way...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »
Indeed.  I'll think back to what you could do as far as mastering back in the mid-to-late 90's and it wasn't much (or it took a long time).   Not only that, all transfers had to be done in realtime and you had to listen for flaws during the transfer.

I think back to my TCD-D7 running me a grand and CSB's costing what they did -- for that money, in today's dollars, I could have a set of AKG Actives with one to two sets of caps, a TinyBox and an M10 or DR-2D.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
It's been one of the more reasonable self-justifications for my chronic procrastination in processing my recordings!  Can't procrastinate on making them of course, that moment is transient, but the tools to manipulate them the way I'd like to in order to be personally satisfied with the results constantly become better, more advanced, less costly and easier to use.   This trend makes my foot-dragging actually somewhat justified.  It will follow a bell-curve I'm sure, and before too long I'll need to find other justifications.  :P
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »
It's been one of the more reasonable self-justifications for my chronic procrastination in processing my recordings!  Can't procrastinate on making them of course, that moment is transient, but the tools to manipulate them the way I'd like to in order to be personally satisfied with the results constantly become better, more advanced, less costly and easier to use.   This trend makes my foot-dragging actually somewhat justified.  It will follow a bell-curve I'm sure, and before too long I'll need to find other justifications.  :P

When I wrote the OP, I was thinking about the de-verb plug in that somone recently linked to.  I mean, at $350 or whatever, that's more than I want to spend but I figure it's only a matter of time before that is written into all of the standard packages, assuming it works well.  Who would have ever thought that you could perhaps un-reverb a recording?

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:42:58 PM »
I fondly remember how elated I was to have pitch control on my Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck so I could get those certain tapes to not sound like an Alvin and the Chipmunks recording.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »
I fondly remember how elated I was to have pitch control on my Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck so I could get those certain tapes to not sound like an Alvin and the Chipmunks recording.

Oh yeah right, I hear that.  WOOP WOOP NEWS FLASH...stop the presses.  Cassette decks have pitch control!!  Woo WOOOO!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com