Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony M10 Help, Please?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
Sony M10 Help, Please?
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
Hi guys/girls,

I recorded a bunch of sets at a festival over the weekend.  We were listening to the sets in the car on the way home.  One of those sets is completely missing on the m10 when I plug it in to extract the files, though.  On the car ride home it said there were 5 files in the folder that had been created, now for some reason it only says 4.  Does anyone know where this file could have gone/how I can access it?

I know the music recorded, we listened to the set.

So weird.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony M10 Help, Please?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
If you used an sd card it may be on the sd card or the m10 internal memory, so try checking both. If not let me know
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
Checked both. But I'm not overly familiar with the device as it is not mine, so I am a little confused.  Now it says there are 3 tracks in that folder.... where are all of my files going? :(

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
That's very odd, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sorry I can't help... But good luck.

When not in the computer are they all there
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
I hope this isn't the case but...there is a Delete button right next to Menu, above the Pause button. Make sure you are not pressing it by accident. The Pause button is below it.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »
That is very strange. Ghost in the machine?

The manual is available here. The section starting on page 83 covers file management.

It does say that if you disconnect the USB cable or remove the card while its still transferring that file corruption can occur. Do you know if that happened?

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:14:22 AM »
That is very strange. Ghost in the machine?

The manual is available here. The section starting on page 83 covers file management.

It does say that if you disconnect the USB cable or remove the card while its still transferring that file corruption can occur. Do you know if that happened?

I'm confident this is not the case.  And I would hope that I didn't hit 'delete,' twice on accident.  So strange.  I paid for a service to recover deleted files from a Sony M10 and could see all of the sets, but the program failed to recover them properly.  I can't find anything in the manual about being able to access deleted files.

=(  Thanks for your help, though, guys.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
The Sony formats the memory using FAT32, so you could try one of the many recovery tools out there yourself. I haven't had to do this (thankfully), so I don't have any specific recommendations, but I know that there are free and shareware programs out there.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
If the set was one of the "middle" sets you recorded, odds are it's been overwritten.  If it was the last one (and you've recorded nothing else), you might be able to scan the SD card and "find" the missing file.  I had this happen once and made the mistake of recording again before attempting to recover the file and could only recover 10 seconds or so of it.   

This can sometimes happen if you're powering down the M10 too quickly -- i.e., taking the deck of out of HOLD and manage to switch it off while still in record mode. 

Best of luck.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:32:16 AM »
I once did stupidly hit the Delete button and then used the free Recuva   -- http://www.piriform.com/recuva -- to try and get it back. It found the filename, but although I hadn't recorded after the Delete, the resulting file only started and ended with the deleted music, while a different, earlier concert was substituted for the middle of the file.  So yeah, the PCM-M10 resists file recovery software. 

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »
A taper friend always has this problem with his Zoom H2, caused by him simply switching it off before allowing the device to write the table of contents.  I've tried about a dozen different utilities over the last few years but the one that ALWAYS works is "Card Recovery", which does what it says. 

http://www.cardrecovery.com/ 

I have v4.10 which is quite old, but it still works.  Worth a try. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com