Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Windows 10
« on: October 01, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
About to install it in VMware.

Hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as Windows 8. I'll report back with my observations.

I am amused that they decided to skip over Windows 9. I wonder how the thought process at MS works. Damn they are dumb.

Anyone else going to give it a go?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
Good luck.

I don't find W8 sucks though it was far from user friendly out of the box; esp that disaster called "metro" interface - which may have been fine if one had a touch screen but for the consumer used to a "normal" desktop, it was a rude experience.

Skipping 9; why try to emulate Apple and it's osX? MS, why not go for 11?

Not going to try it at this point and probably won't in the future. I've finally gotten 8 where I like it though I did have to load a backup after last month's update screwed up enough things I just decided to roll back to what worked for me rather than attempt to correct all the things that got changed. Combine that experience with me loading 8's Developers Preview and liking it only to see it become less user-friendly and more bloated with each pre-beta, beta, alpha, and RC that MS rolled out and I'll avoid the disappointment this time.

Awaiting new parts so I can build a replacement box for one that had an electrical problem, then I'll slimdown this box, take it offline and use it as a DAW only. I'll load a newer flavor of Linux on the new box and use it for my everyday/online box.

Incidentally, I do look forward to your impressions of 9/10.

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
I refuse to use 8, not likely to give 10 a try

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:22:11 AM »
Well, I'm not really going to go all out and install all of my programs on Win10, but so far it's pretty good. WAY better than Windows 8. Slightly better than Windows 7.

Things should mostly be familiar to a Windows 7 user. A few minor changes. And  a few improvements.

I really like the multiple desktops. I've used those with Ubuntu and it's nice to keep different tasks on different desktops. I'll have one that I use for just web browsing and another for audio editing.

Also I really like the way you can snap windows to more than just the left and right side or top/bottom of the desktop. You can now snap them to corners so you can have 3 or 4.

When Windows 7 came out (after the Vista debacle) I thought...wow, this will be popular. I pretty much think the same about Windows 10 so far.

Worth a try for sure. I wouldn't run this as my main OS, but in a VM it's worth checking out.

Looking forward to building a new computer when the full version is released.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
put it on a virtualbox last night and like it so far.

Folks that hate on win 8/8.1 need to try it with start 8 or classic shell.  once you tweak it 8.1 is a great os.  and it only takes very minor tweaking.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
When Windows 7 came out (after the Vista debacle) I thought...wow, this will be popular. I pretty much think the same about Windows 10 so far.

I've begun to think that MS purposely releases crapola OSs every other one so that when they release the follow up OS anything will look better in comparison.  ;)

In all seriousness, I'm happy with Window 7 after the lackluster experiences I've had with 8.  And yes, I've tried Classic Shell and a few other enhancements for Win8 and I still didn't care for that OS.  Compounded by the fact that I had several perfectly-working programs that would not run on 8, Win7 has everything I need for the time being. 

That said, I am interested in what the new OS brings to the table but I'm not ready to be a tester.  Please keep us posted on your experience with Windows 10, Mike.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
If you're happy with Windows 7 I don't think Windows 10 is worth upgrading to if you're not going to upgrade your computer.

I thought Windows 7 was a huge upgrade over XP/Vista. Windows 10 is a slight upgrade. Just a few features that Windows 7 doesn't have. I suspect you could probably add most of those features to Windows 7 with aftermarket programs.

Since I was planning on upgrading my desktop anyway, I'll be using Windows 10. I'm hoping I can hold out on the desktop upgrade until mid 2015 though. The new Haswell-E processors look pretty nice and I've been editing more video lately so it will be nice to upgrade to a nice fast 6 core machine.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
I LOVE the ribboned explorer introduced in 8.  It's way faster all around as well.  I like 10 in the virtual box and think it will be very nice once they are done.  hopefully cheap upgrades like they did with 8.  rumored to be free but I can't see them doing that.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Marshall7

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
once you tweak it 8.1 is a great os.  and it only takes very minor tweaking.

Why should you need to tweak it at all?  At this point I would expect MS should be able to provide a product that doesn't need tweaking, especially when they pretty much forced retailers to stop selling machines with Windows 7 in favor of 8.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
it takes all of 3 minutes to add a start menu, disable "hot corners" and set it to boot to desktop.  There's also a way to disable the lock screen that take one second or less.  It really is a great os once you forget about the "metro" gui which I spend zero time in.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »
put it on a virtualbox last night and like it so far.

Folks that hate on win 8/8.1 need to try it with start 8 or classic shell.  once you tweak it 8.1 is a great os.  and it only takes very minor tweaking.

This ^^^

I've run W8 for the last year and a half.  No problems what so ever.  Great OS.  My machine boots up to the W7 GUI and I have the Classic Start button installed.

That said, if folks hate W8, they'll hate W10.  There's no going backwards. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:54:15 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
Well, there had to be something to gripe about:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/10/05/1222201/test-version-windows-10-includes-keylogger

I don't think that necessarily means that MS is collecting EVERY keystroke, but have to include that because some function collects some keystrokes.

I know things like Skype say they have access to your webcam...but that is because it's a function of the program. I suspect this is similar. MS collecting EVERY keystroke would be idiotic on their part, especially if it's for the purpose of data mining. If word got out that they were doing that they'd put themselves out of business. There would be a mass exodus to OS X and Linux.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »
http://bgr.com/2014/10/03/windows-10-privacy-policy/
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2373838/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-permission-to-watch-your-every-move

To further improve its upcoming desktop operating system, Microsoft says it may collect even more data about users. “Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks,” the Windows 10 preview terms state. “Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."

"We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing."

In other words, Windows can collect your voice and anything you say, which is quite intrusive.

But we're only just getting started. The killer statement says, "If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features."

In other words, in effect, you are giving permission for Microsoft to screen your files, and in effect keylog your keyboard input. Renowned Windows blogger Mary Jo Foley recently said, "I've heard Microsoft built a new real-time telemetry system codenamed 'Asimov' (yes, another Halo-influenced codename) that lets the OS team see in near real-time what's happening on users' machines."

Sounds a little unscrupulous to me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:55:00 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Well, there had to be something to gripe about:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/10/05/1222201/test-version-windows-10-includes-keylogger

I don't think that necessarily means that MS is collecting EVERY keystroke, but have to include that because some function collects some keystrokes.

I know things like Skype say they have access to your webcam...but that is because it's a function of the program. I suspect this is similar. MS collecting EVERY keystroke would be idiotic on their part, especially if it's for the purpose of data mining. If word got out that they were doing that they'd put themselves out of business. There would be a mass exodus to OS X and Linux.

Ever wonder what MS does with all of those error reports from system crashes, etc.?      :hmmm:
They must have gotten billions and billions of them.

We used to say in the 60s, never trust the Man.
My story and I'm sticking to it.

Let's see if EFF has comment in a week or two.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
it takes all of 3 minutes to add a start menu, disable "hot corners" and set it to boot to desktop.  There's also a way to disable the lock screen that take one second or less.  It really is a great os once you forget about the "metro" gui which I spend zero time in.

currently have 8.1 on a laptop at home, but will have to look into these said tweaks......

Offline Bruce Watson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Sounds a little unscrupulous to me.

Only a little? It sounds a lot unscrupulous to me, and highly unethical. It should be illegal; at least it should be illegal to force this privacy invasion on customers who do not want it.

I guess this means the end of MS in most government offices around the world, eh? I wonder how the NSA / CIA / FBI feel about being spied on my MS?   :o

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
My understanding is that data collection is from members of the Windows Insider Program, and only for the Technical Preview. I imagine it would be removed before the real release.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 11:11:05 PM »
You are correct.  Anybody who signed up for the Windows 10 preview was plainly told that Microsoft would collect data.  I take that as anything you do.  I do not know why anybody would use this operating system as their primary system.  I have it set up as a Virtual Machine and testing it out with different software to see if I can get it to crash.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
I'm up and running.  Initially, download kept failing.  Found a work around on the 'net.  The rest went smoothly.  Had to remove the Class StartUp Shell app after the upgrade. 

Nice to see manufacturers like Asus and Nvidia ready to rock with their W10 drivers by launch.

So far, so good.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »
I must admit I'm very impressed.  I upgraded from W7 I had 2 minor problems.  Soundforge needed uninstalling and re-installing.  No big deal.  I found some features, like "Channel Converter" were no longer available, but ok after re-install.  The other is my dual-band wireless dongle now defaults to 2G.  Can't get 5G.  That'll hopefully get resolved if TP-Link decide to issue a new driver.  Well done Microsoft.  Not often I've said that!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Bump to follow thread. i am in charge of about 60 PCs. Most are WIN7, 3 are WIN8; haven't yet decided what I am going to do as a company policy. I'll keep reading on forums such as this and other non IT forums so I can see how most users feel.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gene Poole

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
Although I'm not totally disgusted by Windows 10, I'm very disgusted that they still have no native support for USB Audio 2.0.  Come on M$, it's been like 8 years since the USB consortium standardized on that.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
If I may just qualify what I said earlier.  Not since XP have Microsoft included WinHelp.  They did issue updates for W7 & 8, but made clear their corporate policy was not to provide help for legacy software.  Assuming customer pressure made them issue updates, it's strange they didn't just include it in W10. 

Anyway, for our purposes, this means Soundforge and (mostly non-Sony/Sonic Foundry) plug-ins don't behave properly if you do a clean W10 install.  But works ok if you upgrade from W7 to W10. 

So, I decided to do a clean install of W7 and wait for an update.  I withdraw my "well done"!!   

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Haven't jumped on this yet, but are they sending out a license key or anything to you? Thinking in terms of the Win 7 folks who choose the upgrade option......

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
Of everythng I've read about W10 the primary reason I won't "upgrade" is the end-user has no control over updates. Can't deny them, can't delay them, can't select which they want to install, etc, and with MS's history of severely impacting some systems with their patches and updates, even bricking some boxes, I won't "upgrade" until absolutely forced to. I'm going to keep using some variation of Linux/BSD for my everyday online box. Sticking with 8 for my windows box which only went online once to register and get a few updates for Samplitude and now is used strictly offline as a DAW.

In the meantime I'll read your impressions of the latest OSAS (operating system as a service) from MS.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
10 is working with classic shell on my computer!! 

I'm up and running.  Initially, download kept failing.  Found a work around on the 'net.  The rest went smoothly.  Had to remove the Class StartUp Shell app after the upgrade. 

Nice to see manufacturers like Asus and Nvidia ready to rock with their W10 drivers by launch.

So far, so good.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
disable classic shell and check out the new start. not bad at all.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
disable classic shell and check out the new start. not bad at all.

This ^^

ilduclo

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
Can't find a way to disable login screen.....not password log in, but login itself. Why, mr gates?

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
I've had a problem with shut down and sleep since upgrading to 10 a couple of weeks ago.

90% of the time my computer won't shut down, it goes into sleep mode.

Normally this wouldn't be so bad, but my larger and more aggravating issue is that my computer doesn't wake back up from sleep mode.

I have to press and hold the power button for about 3 or 4 seconds to completely shut it down, then I'm able to power it up it normally,

Anybody have any ideas for me?

Thanks!

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 10:45:41 PM »
Only issue I'm having is that videos in Facebook start very dark (pretty much solid black with a few lighter spots) until something syncs up and then they clear up. Started right after I upgraded. Hopefully a update fixes that. Not a huge deal though.

Otherwise pretty good. Coming from Windows 7, I thought it was pretty easy to find everything.

Still need to go through and mess with some settings, like what Microsoft tracks.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:07 PM »
I got this e-mail at work since I am a MSCA and use some enterprise software.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise?cr_cc=200665642&wt.mc_id=usdx_evan_properties-newsletters_technet-newsflash_0_20150805

The gist of it is if you are a registered MS professional you can download the enterprise version for 90 day trial.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows10.aspx

So, when I go to their explanations to learn if it is "free" as they are saying the standard version is. I can't exactly figure that out, however, it says
For the first year of availability, many customers who currently use Windows will qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10. 
It isn't straight forward (surprise!) but implies there will be a few volume licensing capabilities available; but when it uses the word "cost" I can't figure out if it conforms to your current licensing or requires you to go through a new license process. it is confusing, but I have only read it twice. I am going to do some more research. In the meantime here is a quote from this section: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows10.aspx#tab=2

Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise
Volume Licensing is the most cost-effective way for commercial customers to upgrade PCs to Windows 10 Enterprise. You can purchase upgrade licenses through a Volume Licensing program to gain access to Windows 10 Enterprise, and you can attach Software Assurance to your Windows 10 Enterprise Upgrade licenses.

I'll be back with any more information if I can find some.  8)
music IS love

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
^ I'm an IT guy and we also run Enterprise versions of Windows and Office where we use KMS servers. Now I don't manage that end of it, but your post was quite helpful (not that my particular department has any plans on moving to W10 any time soon...)!

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
My system, wich had windows 7, has Windows 10 for two days now and so far I like it a lot.
All software seems to work like it used to do. I only need to do a recalibration for the monitor since Windows 10 doesn't recognize the calibration data profile.

So far so good!
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
My system, wich had windows 7, has Windows 10 for two days now and so far I like it a lot.
All software seems to work like it used to do. I only need to do a recalibration for the monitor since Windows 10 doesn't recognize the calibration data profile.

So far so good!
Any issues with hardware/peripherals?
music IS love

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
I had a brief install snag before I realized I'd forgotten to disconnect my USB3 hard drive dock; the install wouldn't move past a certain point. Removed it and the installation proceeded fine.

The only issue I've had is that the port forwarding I had setup in Win7 went away, and I had to reconfigure all that under Win10. Makes sense that it would, just didn't think of it ahead of time. Smooth sailing for me otherwise.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »

So far so good!
Any issues with hardware/peripherals?

No problems. All hardware works fine.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »
Bump to follow thread. i am in charge of about 60 PCs. Most are WIN7, 3 are WIN8; haven't yet decided what I am going to do as a company policy. I'll keep reading on forums such as this and other non IT forums so I can see how most users feel.

Corporate prudence says wait at least one year after any O/S release.
Win10 is really W8.1 with better GUI, as far as I can tell.
UI includes Cortana, which I see as a security problem right out of the gate.

Win7 has years of extended support, so you probably can move slowly:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Your company does have extended support, no?

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »

Corporate prudence says wait at least one year after any O/S release.
Win10 is really W8.1 with better GUI, as far as I can tell.
UI includes Cortana, which I see as a security problem right out of the gate.

Win7 has years of extended support, so you probably can move slowly:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Your company does have extended support, no?
Tango,
Yes to extended and quality support. I am mostly interested in how others find the OS in terms of usability and function. I am loading it on an unused workstation this week and going to play around with it a bit.
Another reason to keep tabs on what people are saying is that at my work, all the employees ask me about personal stuff they might wish to buy for their kids, wives, etc, and I liek to have some knowledge.
OTH, man do I agree with you after just a couple of weeks of reading. I am going to keep teh company with WIN7 as long as I can unless someones needs or job requires WIN10.

Thanks for the info about Cortana, Do you know if this on every version of the OS and/or can it reliably be kept disabled through GPO?
music IS love

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 12:23:47 PM »
A word of CAUTION about W10 and transferring audio files from external media/media readers.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174321.0

I highly recommend reading the thread from answers.microsoft.com linked in the above ts thread.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »
I had been toying with cloning my W8 drive then upgrading to 10 just to see what it's like. Might still do that but doubt I'll ever use it for more than having it available on a backup drive, esp. after reading this http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/microsoft-windows-10/1001360/microsoft-can-disable-your-pirated-games-and-illegal-hardware . Seems MS really is looking to make W10 an OSaaS. I wonder how long before MS starts charging a monthly fee to use their OS?

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
I wonder how long before MS starts charging a monthly fee to use their OS?

They can't really do that unless Apple does it as well.

I think they are planning on making their money the way everyone else does (Android/Apple). Charge a little bit for basic apps, Ads based on your habits, etc. They already do the monthly thing for Office. Adobe is moving that way for their apps too. I think they all will go to the monthly subscription for the big apps in order to reduce/eliminate piracy.

I would guess OS's will become free for something with basics apps only and if you want to do anything worthwhile you will have to pay a monthly subscription.

Ideally they scrap the whole Windows 10, 11, 12 and just make it Windows and upgrade it with new features when they are ready to go.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »

I think they are planning on making their money the way everyone else does (Android/Apple). Charge a little bit for basic apps, Ads based on your habits, etc. They already do the monthly thing for Office. Adobe is moving that way for their apps too. I think they all will go to the monthly subscription for the big apps in order to reduce/eliminate piracy.

I would guess OS's will become free for something with basics apps only and if you want to do anything worthwhile you will have to pay a monthly subscription.

Ideally they scrap the whole Windows 10, 11, 12 and just make it Windows and upgrade it with new features when they are ready to go.
Funny reading mis comprehension just happened for me: I read the bold above, and probably because I feel M$ is so BS, I read it as "reduce/eliminate" PRIVACY. After 20 years I currently feel the internet was allowed to advance to the public arena specifically because of its' future ability of mass surveillance. To top it all off, they had thousands of people (developers) create apps and other tools which are most helpful in keeping track of people.  >:D
music IS love

stevetoney

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

Funny reading mis comprehension just happened for me: I read the bold above, and probably because I feel M$ is so BS, I read it as "reduce/eliminate" PRIVACY. After 20 years I currently feel the internet was allowed to advance to the public arena specifically because of its' future ability of mass surveillance. To top it all off, they had thousands of people (developers) create apps and other tools which are most helpful in keeping track of people.  >:D

So Al Gore DID invent the internet after all! ;)

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »

So Al Gore DID invent the internet after all! ;)
Ha HA LOL. NOOOOOOOOOO, that is one of the stupidest misinterpretations of his speech ever.
I know you are "joking", but to my point,  the internet is derived from an earlier iteration named the DARPAnet, which was a Dep't of Defense method of communication which was also allowed to be used by research organizations (such As IBM PARC, Bell Labs, MIT, JPL, etc) by the early 1980's communication traffic was increasing to the point they needed another method to carry the signals- thus tcp/ip (Ethernet) was invented. Partially invented by my hero and co-founder of 3COM, Bob Metcalfe. His story is highlighted in this WIRED article from several years ago.
http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/6.11/metcalfe_pr.html
Long story VERY short- I tried to start a company that would use the internet as a business tool in 1997. By the time 1998 rolled around, we were told by the VP of Marketing at SONY US, that the "internet is a fad". I had found Metcalfe's work in the early 1990's and followed his rise to fame, then fall from grace at 3COM. I/we utilized his futuristic thinking to advance our ideas of community and travel information which ultimately failed as a business (Rocksuitcase)  He is now one of the founders of the TED talks and is one of the most influential people in the tech world. (and tonedeaf, he lives near you, on a 4,000 acre sheep farm near Kennebunkport).
In the end, I have realized the internet and data based communications have been evolved and furthered probably solely with the intent of spying on those of us who have enough money to purchase their devices. (And yes, I realize this is CT type of stuff, but after 20 years of using the internet, I am truly coming to this realization, including that I was an unwitting part of it!)
music IS love

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
In regards to Windows 10 and audio software.  Has anyone had any problems with CDWave, Traders Little Helper (TLH) and EAC- Exact Audio Copy working as expected with W-10?  I would be upgrading from Windows 7 -> Windows 10.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:04:48 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 10:09:55 AM »
In regards to Windows 10 and audio software.  Has anyone had any problems with CDWave, Traders Little Helper (TLH) and EAC- Exact Audio Copy working as expected with W-10?  I would be upgrading from Windows 7 -> Windows 10.

No. TLH and CD wave work fine...

Havent used EAC recently - but it appears to be still maintained...think I've heard it works...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »

No. TLH and CD wave work fine...

Havent used EAC recently - but it appears to be still maintained...think I've heard it works...

Thank you!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 11:40:42 AM »
Anyone running Samplitude with Windows 10?  I am running Samplitude 11.2 on Windows 7 currently.  Also, I use a USB dongle for activation.

TIA for any advice.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.233 seconds with 75 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com