Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 95671 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #300 on: December 27, 2023, 12:45:05 PM »
..the "File Max Size" is still 2GB and it's not polywav or something, all mono tracks.

First thought was that it's writing a single polywav rather than individial mono WAVs, but even then it shouldn't start a new file until the 2GB point.  Funky file format on the card? Maybe try reformatting it in the F8, and make a test recording to see what happens.  Maybe try a different card.

I've never recorded polywavs on the F8.  I started out recording stereo WAVs with it, which I prefer, but switched to mono WAVs early on to increase time between splits, as it allows for entire sets or shows without splits most of the time.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #301 on: December 27, 2023, 12:47:22 PM »
Can’t remember if I mentioned doing this previously- anyone else occasionally record the built in slate mic when there’s a spare track?  I can’t even recall if I’ve ever used it in a mix.

Played around with the slate mic early on just to check it out, but never actually used it or recorded with it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #302 on: January 02, 2024, 01:33:47 PM »
Funky file format on the card? Maybe try reformatting it in the F8, and make a test recording to see what happens.  Maybe try a different card.

Yeah, that did the trick, thanks for the suggestion. I thought I had been continuing to use the same card from before the change occurred, but I hadn't. I've never had any problems with cards on any recorders audio or video just pop in card and go, but in the last 6 months this issue popped up and two of my Zoom Q2n (video) got picky as well. So I've committed to identifying which cards go with which recorders and labeling them.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #303 on: January 02, 2024, 02:30:51 PM »
Good to hear you figured it out.

I've not found the F8 to be picky about SD cards.  Still, Since it's quick and easy I always run the F8's SD card quick-test whenever I put a new card in, reformat, or delete files off a card without reformatting it.  Not sure if that would have caught your issue or not though.  Did you try the quick-test prior to reformatting?

In contrast to that, mostly because I've never had a problem with SD cards in the F8 and never wanted to wait for it to complete a full read/write-cycle for the entire card, I've never run the F8's SD card full-test.  Presumably that may have caught the problem.  Might be a good practice with new cards you aren't sure about.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com