Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131628 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2015, 04:05:26 PM »
for solely using as the input for mics, with a powered amp (CA), is this the best option?  I'm also looking at the R-05.  I have an R-09HR but I used it last week and it seems something has hit it hard enough to make the screen have lines in it and there is something rattling inside.... sigh.  Sucks.

So I'm looking for a possible replacement.  I wasn't sure if the R-05 was better than the R-09HR, and/or if the M10 was better than R-05 in some way (other than mics, which I won't be using).

Thanks!

I had an R-05.  I liked it but there seems to be a design issue with the circuit board where the inputs will eventually short out even with gentle use (and it's on the board, not in any wiring). 

I replaced that R-05 with an M-10.

The R-05 is very compact and seems to have good specs especially through the line-in.  It is definitely more cheaply made and less rugged feeling than the M-10 though.  The M-10 recording level control (the wheel) is way, way better than the R-05 push button.  Worth the upgrade for that alone IMO.  The test specs are better (I think it is a little quieter, cleaner though that may not matter with loud shows).  The M-10 limiter is much better.  The battery life is better.

I have two R-05's and they both get used at least every week, mostly in low pro situations. They are both from when the model was first introduced and I  have never had any issues. I also had one I sold, the hold switch had stopped working, but in all other ways it functioned as nicely as if brand new. I have not heard of any design issues and the deck is still sold. I guess it's apples and oranges, because I think the M-10 is more poorly made, with issues of the 2 channels not being balanced and the micro card being very touchy, as well as the battery door.  I think the Marantz PMD 620 MKII, not the original one, is better than both, as well as the DR-2d, which is a bit bigger than I prefer, but I still like to use the R-05 as my low pro go to  I think it probably is a matter of taste and personal preference.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
thanks!
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
Since I just transfer the files from the M10 to my computer and move them to my external HD.I dont even touch the MicroSD card.The card been in the M10 since I got it.
I had no issues with the volume knob.Luckily its still stiff to turn and gets taped for just in case it gets hit.
My only gripe and rant  with the M10 is the small print on the screen.The  R-09HR is readable with the black and white screen.

I hope Sony  dont kill the M10 off yet because I like to get another M10 for a backup and retire the R-09HR   because its getting old and just use it for simple tasks.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Since I just transfer the files from the M10 to my computer and move them to my external HD.I dont even touch the MicroSD card.The card been in the M10 since I got it.

Same here. And while the lock does *not* lock the gain, I never have any problems with the gain wheel turning unintentionally either. (The switches on the back do occasionally, but that's immediately apparent on the display, and a couple pieces of tape will take care of that regardless.)

The battery life is truly ridiculous. I never remember to turn the damn thing off, and the batteries still last for months.

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2015, 11:43:42 PM »

Same here. And while the lock does *not* lock the gain, I never have any problems with the gain wheel turning unintentionally either. (The switches on the back do occasionally, but that's immediately apparent on the display, and a couple pieces of tape will take care of that regardless.)

The battery life is truly ridiculous. I never remember to turn the damn thing off, and the batteries still last for months.

Yea .I tape the  backside switches up too.I agree 110 percent on the battery life.Running and on standby .I just swop the rechargeable Duracell batteries every month just to keep it happy.I'm happier with the old fashion rotary  gain knob then the digital gain control  on the  R-09HR.

Sony did a nice job of coming up the this recorder.I wonder what they will come up next .

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »
those who use the gain knob, are you not using an external amp?  I don't even mess with gain on my recorder, just use my 9100's analog.

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
those who use the gain knob, are you not using an external amp?  I don't even mess with gain on my recorder, just use my 9100's analog.

Tinybox...  though I'd rather fine adjust on the recorder anyway. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

No external amp here, just battery box.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
In. :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »

nBoxPremium has nothing but on/off, the m10 is volume control

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:23 PM »
interesting.  I guess I do it backwards.  I love my 9100 but it's pretty big.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 10:48:28 PM »

what's an "nBoxPremium"?

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 03:33:05 AM »

I have the CA-9100 preamp and I use the level adjustment on that AND the wheel on the Sony PCM m10. It is very nice to have both for fine tuning. Micro SD are not too expensive. I use a 32gb and get 15 hours of recording time at 24/96
After every show I copy to my computer, but leave the original wav file on the micro SD. I like to keep to keep the cards as a backup, and its also nice to keep the music on there so I can use the M10 for playback on headphones or plugged into the AUX jack on my car stereo, so that's another reason I don't clear the card and reuse.
When the card fills up I just put it away in a little box. All my original recordings are in there. It's comforting to know that they are all there safe in case my computer crashes, is stolen, or whatever…

Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 06:39:29 AM »
If I am using the preamp to adjust the gain, the gain wheel on the M10 is at 4.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2015, 09:30:38 AM »

what's an "nBoxPremium"?
nbox/nbox platinum
It's is a box made by a ts member to power schoeps mics (and now some others like nbob akg actives)
Runs on 4 9v batteries. Platinum one runs for days while regular not so much
It may have built in gain but one way or the other you must use the m10 to adjust overall gain/volume with this set up.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com