Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 131675 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
^, ^^, ^^^:

When my first M10 needed service, I was instructed to send it to the Teaneck, NJ service center.  I'm on the east coast, so it may be based on your region.  My internal mics had about a 3dB imbalance, and they promptly determined it was a manufacturing defect and sent out a new unit.

The microSD slot is a weak point.  I used only the internal memory for a long time, but the first time I tried to use a card, I kept trying to put it in backwards.  It's also easy to put it in the correct way, but slightly misaligned.  You have to be very careful with it.

Because of this, I never take the card out and transfer through the recorder.  The slow transfer speed is worth it to not have to deal with the card.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
^, ^^, ^^^:

When my first M10 needed service, I was instructed to send it to the Teaneck, NJ service center.  I'm on the east coast, so it may be based on your region.  My internal mics had about a 3dB imbalance, and they promptly determined it was a manufacturing defect and sent out a new unit.

The microSD slot is a weak point.  I used only the internal memory for a long time, but the first time I tried to use a card, I kept trying to put it in backwards.  It's also easy to put it in the correct way, but slightly misaligned.  You have to be very careful with it.

Because of this, I never take the card out and transfer through the recorder.  The slow transfer speed is worth it to not have to deal with the card.

I always take the card out and it is sloppy going back in. I sometimes get an error message after loading. Once its loaded properly it should be good to go. Teaneck it is. I really can't trust it at this point.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2015, 02:43:33 PM »

It took me a few "duh" moments to realize that the micro card only works in the position of the graphic on the back of the unit, and you should only put the card "that way"

Also, I take my card out after every show for a faster transfer via a full SD card, into the slot in my laptop... and no issues with that, I am just easy with the card removal and replacement.

I can tell you from experience, it it best for the card to be formatted after ever few shows, it just seems to run "cleaner"

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2015, 03:42:01 AM »
My 64gb microSD card comes out every time I record something to transfer the files to my laptop. I also use my M10 as my portable music player, so frequently take the card out to swap music files around. When the card is nearly full I take the card out to delete all my recordings. The only time the card was formatted was the day it arrived from Amazon. I've had no problems so far.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
I've been recording all week to the memory card and no issues. I have it set to card first and cross is on. So I'm guessing I got it to mount proprerly and from now on I'll leave it in and transfer via M10 instead of removing the card. Either that or request a repair.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:20:46 PM by ts »

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2015, 10:58:33 PM »
Any guesses as to what the LCF Low Cut Filter rolls off at?

I looked through the manual and did not find anything. I also searched the forums and came up empty so apoligies in advance if this has already been covered

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »
Any guesses as to what the LCF Low Cut Filter rolls off at?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148448.0

"Lo cut filter frequency starts at 200Hz, 24dB/Octave filter, effects both Mic and Line input"
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline EWizard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Finally finished reading this entire thread.  Some great info in here.
I bought an M10 a few weeks ago and have been digitizing my vinyl collection with it.
Haven't gotten to record any shows yet with it, but I did go ahead and order a CA-9200, a pair of CA-14 Cards, and a pair of CA-14 Omnis.
I can already tell this player is waaay better than the Sony DAT player I used to record with in the 90's.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »
Checking in.  just got one yesterday.  although the 32gb card that came with it doesn't seem to be recognized.  any card suggestions?

i don't have the time to backread the entire thread...

what are the best settings for what we do?  what should i turn on/off?

thanks!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
This is the card I use; it works like a charm! :)

# SanDisk Ultra 16GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0LK
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Checking in.  just got one yesterday.  although the 32gb card that came with it doesn't seem to be recognized.  any card suggestions?

thanks!
flip the card over, willing to bet its in backwards - common user error
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2015, 11:29:36 PM »
About settings...they're in a PCM-M10 thread here somewhere.

Just go through the Menu and Detail Menu sub-menu and mostly use common sense. REC mode .wav or at least 320, Memory internal or external card (your choice).  In the Detail Menu enable Cross-Memory Recording so if you run out on the card it switches to internal (or vice versa).  Choose your battery type (NiMH are rechargeables) and how long you want the backlight to stay on. 

PRE REC....when you hit Record it's paused (and blinking) so you can find a level. You have to then hit  Pause to start recording.  Pre Rec On means that it will grab 5 seconds before you started (un-paused) if you're a little slow. 

Limiter is contentious here but I always have it on.  If there's a HUGE LOUD PEAK the limiter will drop your record level. Otherwise it does nothing whatsoever. It's not like the compressors (sometimes called limiters) used at radio stations or studios that keep all the music within a narrow dynamic range. I think of it as the airbag--just there for emergencies. 

Don't forget the switches on the back! They make a big difference. Use Manual Level (Take a look at how the display reverses when it's on Auto). DPC off. Probably Low sensitivity, though that only affects internal mics and mic recording and you're going to be going Line-in with the preamp.

You'll have to figure out the record level you are most comfortable with, with your preferred  combo of settings on the preamp and the level knob. I like to keep it so the green lights flash at the peaks of the music; other people live a little more dangerously and like to stay in the green-light zone more consistently.  If the red light flashes...you'll want the limiter on.

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
The limiter is fine for fast peaks such as hand claps from people around you.
Longer peaks (especially in the bass region) are not suitable for the limiter.

I've ruined recordings that peaked at -5.7 dBFS with the limiter on an
otherwise known-good setup: DPA 4061 > 9VBB > M10 @ line-in @ 6.5
The 9VBB was: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=80917.0

I'm pretty sure all my early bad experiences with the DPA 4063 > M10 PiP mic-in @ ~2.0 were also from leaving the limiter on.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »

thanks!
flip the card over, willing to bet its in backwards - common user error

nope.  tried that a few times before posting.

edit:  apparently it's tricky to get it in JUST right... i've flipped it a dozen times but it just now finally found the slot and was readable... weird.  32 gb gives 31 hours of record time at 24/48 though!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:24:49 AM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:49 AM »
nope.  tried that a few times before posting.
edit:  apparently it's tricky to get it in JUST right... i've flipped it a dozen times but it just now finally found the slot and was readable... weird.  32 gb gives 31 hours of record time at 24/48 though!

Best trick I use, is to insert it exactly the way the card image is shown on the back of the unit... push it in until it is firm, then "click" it in the rest of the way (a 2 step process)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com