Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best entry level multitrack setup for digital output?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best entry level multitrack setup for digital output?
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
Here in Portland, we keep running into soundboards with digital-only outputs for multitrack recording (mostly firewire, I believe). Anyone have a good suggestion for an entry-level rig for this? Ideally, it would be able to handle the traditional 1/4" direct outs as well, but I know next to nothing about the options out there, so if having both options means twice as much gear/$, I would probably just go with the firewire setup. I do have a decent Windows 8 laptop if that helps. In addition to recording all channels off the board, I would want to add 1 or 2 sets of mics, so phantom power would be nice, but not necessary.

Apologies for the noobness on this, of if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Edit: Should I be posting in Ask a taper? Team Multitrack?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:14:58 PM by yltfan »
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best entry level multitrack setup for digital output?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »
Here in Portland, we keep running into soundboards with digital-only outputs for multitrack recording (mostly firewire, I believe). Anyone have a good suggestion for an entry-level rig for this? Ideally, it would be able to handle the traditional 1/4" direct outs as well, but I know next to nothing about the options out there, so if having both options means twice as much gear/$, I would probably just go with the firewire setup. I do have a decent Windows 8 laptop if that helps. In addition to recording all channels off the board, I would want to add 1 or 2 sets of mics, so phantom power would be nice, but not necessary.

Apologies for the noobness on this, of if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Edit: Should I be posting in Ask a taper? Team Multitrack?

laptop?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Best entry level multitrack setup for digital output?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »
The simple answer is a laptop with Reaper installed - and a USB/Firewire cable.

Find out what consoles you are working with and install the proper USB/Firewire drivers. (this is problematic as some want you to be connected to the mixer to install)

If you want to add a set of room mics - you'll have to have 2 extra channels available on the board (that aren't sent to the house mix)
Helps if you have own preamp for the room mics so you can control the levels a bit without having to be at the board.

Multitracking is not an ideal situation for "walk up" tapers...you really have to hope your soundperson has things configured a certain way.
So - some relationship building helps here too. Being in house for soundcheck is almost a must.

Since you mentioned Phantom power - it sounds like you are envisioning a stand-alone recorder or USB interface.
Stand-alone recorders are 8 channels max - (and chances are you need more channels than that.)
Then you'd be looking at at multichannel USB/FireWire interface and a laptop...and a lot of cables!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com