Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good Headphones for what we do?  (Read 10491 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Good Headphones for what we do?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »
I got a pair of the aforementioned Sonys for my birthday last month - only just getting my ears around them, as it were, but finding them very neutral so far and that good-sounding results through them are reliably good on other systems. Comfortable too.

I like 7506's but I need a pair that will give great isolation at shows.

These are on my Christmas list.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283347-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_HN_7506_High_Noise_Isolating.html

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
For remote recording, isolation is needed.  For listening/mixing, accurate reproduction.  Could be a set of buds (under ear muffs in some cases) for the former.   

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:27 PM »
For work at shows where you need isolation, absolutely nothing beats good in ears.  I have a pair of these and the isolation is 200x better than any over ears I've used (which is a lot). I use them for checking levels a lot and actually sub them in for the headphones thing at UM shows now because the isolation is so much better than the over ears.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/search?N=10758635&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »
Among Sound Engineers, the go to headphone is the Sony MDR-7506. 

I say that because at two of my local sound companies, I asked the repair techs what is the most popular headphone, and that was their answer.  Now granted, if its being repaired 3x more than any other model or brand that means two things--(1) They break; and (2) Its worth for the user to actually spend the bread to repair the unit, rather than toss it. 

I have two pairs by the way, and love it.

...which might be a good reason why you see so many ATH-M50 at the soundboard...they're rugged and hold up in the field.  I know some have praised their sound.  I personally don't care for them much for anything but casual field monitoring, but I have a pair that I've used in my bag and they've they've been rock solid after four years of moderate use...averaging between once and twice weekly over the course of the year. 

So refining my earlier response, I'd say that if your general needs are a rugged, well respected headphone that has a record of field durability and your needs are like mine...which is to have something basic for checking levels and making sure your signal is clean, then these would be a great option.  They fold up quite nicely as well.  If you want something that you can listen to and monitor the detailed EQ of the show, where sound isolation is an important factor, then look elsewhere.

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
For remote recording, isolation is needed.  For listening/mixing, accurate reproduction.  Could be a set of buds (under ear muffs in some cases) for the former.   

Expanding on this a bit...I mean, don't buy open back headphones and take them in the field, but all I can control is level and balance on my rig anyway.  Unless I'm a sound engineer that needs to EQ a show, I really don't need much sound isolation to know that my recording is clean and my levels are well balanced. 

The point is that buying headphones can be, and usually is, a process of balancing features to need.  That's why I have separate phones for my field rig, my home/max enjoyment rig, and my work rig.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:26:40 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »

Expanding on this a bit...I mean, don't buy open back headphones and take them in the field, but all I can control is level and balance on my rig anyway.  Unless I'm a sound engineer that needs to EQ a show, I really don't need much sound isolation to know that my recording is clean and my levels are well balanced. 

The point is that buying headphones can be, and usually is, a process of balancing features to need.  That's why I have separate phones for my field rig, my home/max enjoyment rig, and my work rig.

FWIW I'm generally in this camp, and for field monitoring, I use earbuds. For me personally, all I want to generally know is whether there's distortion or something "wrong". Unless the thing is being live-streamed or something, I rarely ever even get headphones out at all. I have separate pairs for home listening (Denon ADH7000), nicer portable listening, and other portable listening. It's not that I'm collecting them so much as I don't break headphones very often :)

But yeah, no headphone is "perfect". I really love the Audeze LCD series, which are $$$ and very neutral, almost like the DPA mics of headphones. But they are also huge and open-back and so neutral that they might 'bother' you for music listening. It all really depends.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
I mix regularly and use AT-40/AT-50's.  I also have a set of custom ears that I use for the super loud shows(95db+).  From where I am sitting in the Aud I get enough isolation using the AT's when the db's are 85-95 range.  Anything above that and I am using in-ears.  Just my .02

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 03:49:47 AM »
Sennheiser HD800 - the most 'monitor-like' cans around. Very flat frequency response, ultra-low bass extension, excellent dynamics/transients, widest/deepest soundstage, imaging, the list goes on. Trouble is you really need to spend another 2x - 3x - 4x on a DAC and amp to get the best out of them.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 06:13:40 AM »
Sennheiser HD800 - the most 'monitor-like' cans around. Very flat frequency response, ultra-low bass extension, excellent dynamics/transients, widest/deepest soundstage, imaging, the list goes on. Trouble is you really need to spend another 2x - 3x - 4x on a DAC and amp to get the best out of them.

For $1500, they better come with dinner and a happy ending.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline sperho

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • AudioVisual
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
Another very popular headphone for recordists and broadcasters (you seem them on TV announcers at live events all of the time, usually with a boom mic attached) is the Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs.  I own the following headphones/earbuds and my 2 cents on each:

Sony M7506 - very good, mostly neutral sound at less than $100 - not great isolation; I mostly use these at my desk for file review and editing

Sennheiser HD-25-1 II:  comparable to the Sony's sound, but perhaps a little less low end.  They are smaller and isolate better than the Sony's - I use these primarily for recording

HiFiMan HE500 - open back, huge, heavy, great sound when properly driven - I use them only for music listening in my comfy "music chair"

Westone W30 buds - very good sound, great isolation (~-25 dB), I use in loud situations during recording and general music listening when traveling, especially on planes

ATH-M50 - decent sound, not as neutral as the Sonys and Senns, not very comfortable after the pads start to stiffen.  I don't use them any more - my wife likes them when she is walking on the treadmill, however.  They isolate somewhere between the 7506 and the Senns

I think the HD-25-1 IIs are the most versatile in my collection from a recording standpoint.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:39:29 AM by sperho »

Offline elan_vital

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 12:03:28 AM »
Near field flat response monitor speakers are the best for putting final touches on a mix, but if you need to use headphones, make sure they are comfortable, are of the open design variety and produce as neutral sound as possible.
Start here for a good selection at any price
http://www.acqurate.com/55920df27ec4866a694f60e5

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
Been using Shure SRH440's and they have been working out nicely for myself especially when I don't have the oppurtunity to listen with my speakers (KRK's)
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
I'm not comfortable making low bass and treble EQ mix decisions without speaker listening. 
I'm not comfortable making decisions on the audibility of details and without headphone listening.

Senn HD650 is the best for me so far.

Like to try the HD700 and HD800 sometime, and the Audeze LCDs
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
..with Focusrite VRM Box to check virtual mix compatibility..

Can you tell me more about this device?
How well it works, how you use it, what you do and don't like about it, etc.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com