Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good Headphones for what we do?  (Read 10594 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Good Headphones for what we do?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
..with Focusrite VRM Box to check virtual mix compatibility..

Can you tell me more about this device?
How well it works, how you use it, what you do and don't like about it, etc.

More here >> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144941.msg1865867#msg1865867

Basically I only use it to check mixes "virtually" thru modeling of different types of playback systems and rooms.  I wouldn't recommend it to replace traditional reference standard DAC's and powered near field monitors.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »
Ha, forgot about that thread, thanks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 01:16:59 AM »
A few people have mentioned earbuds but seriously, why not IEMs? Sound isolation, small size and clarity if you get good ones.  Just make sure you try all the eartips to get the right fit.

Shure made some of the first IEMs and while the field is crowded now I have never been disappointed in the Shures. (Unlike Etymotics which to me are sterile.)

I am partial to the Shure SE line--I have the SE 535 for home listening, which are fantastic,  and SE 315 for portable, which make planes and trains a lot more fun.  I'd guess the SE215 are good enough to tell you what you need while you're recording.

But other IEMs are also probably good in the field, and lots of companies make them now. Decide on your budget and Google around to places like head-fi.org.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
I have bought from here before - really great resource just to do research:
http://www.headphone.com/

+1 on the IEM recommendation.  The dealer I linked has a lot to choose from in that category.  I have a relatively inexpensive set of Etymotics, and the isolation is outstanding.  Been using them with live recording for years.  I used them for the first time on a long plane ride a couple weeks back, and I'll never fly without them again.  I don't agree that they're "sterile", but they do have un-hyped bass so that may take some getting used to.
http://www.headphone.com/collections/in-ear/products/etymotic-mc5
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
I like and trust my old but gold Etymotic ER4S IEMs.  I do make my own foam plugs for them by leather-punching a hole through my preferred high-isolation foam earplugs, which makes all the difference with them for me- better fit, more solid bass response, maximal isolation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
The sonys have been and still are the field recording industry standard. They are also ridiculously popular in the studio. They are relatively flat, cheap, easy to drive and very revealing...  They don't isolate like an iem, but they do the job.  The AT's are more fun to listen to, but that's not the purpose of this discussion...  If you are not going to use a headpohne amp, you'll have a hard time driving any of these headphones at a loud concert with just the headphone output of your digital recorder...  These are more expensive than the aforementioned Sony's but they were designed specifically for the ohm of phones and mp3 players.  Your digital recorder will drive these loud!   Plus I think they sound as good as many of the audiophile headphones like the Beyer dt880 or the sennheisers....http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00NBMHYGM/s=sd/ref=cm_cr_dp_aw_see_rcnt
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
Agreed with IEM rec (I think I posted about them earlier in the thread).  There really is no  reason not to use in ears IMO, especially when comparing to on or over ear headphones in a rock show environment. Waaaaay better isolation apwhich alows for lower listening levels and better, more accurate reproduction. I use Shures too and they're great

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
I use AKG K271 MK II

Very neutral sound.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
One potential deal-breaker is speed/ease of use.  Closed-back over-ear phones are easiest to quickly don or toss-off as necessary.   Putting in IEM's is less quick and easy.

For maximum isolation, nothing will exceed the isolation a pair of IEMs using expanding foam plugs plus a set of "noise muff" style hearing protectors over them (like the kind used by airport workers or at a shooting range).  Although it looks kind of funny.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com