Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens. Go big or go small?  (Read 15401 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Windscreens. Go big or go small?
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
Are there any 'rules of thumb' when it comes to windscreens?

I am running CK6x's and currently have WindTech 1212 windscreens.
But I always see people with much larger windscreens than mine.

What do most people run for these or similar sized mics and why?

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Windscreens. Go big or go small?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:34:58 PM »
outside I only use the big ass shures.  I use the dpa's inside. I've gotten wind noise with the dpa's even when it wasn't very windy so they shures are all I use now. dead rats/muppets over dpa's should be enough most of the time but I don't have any. big screens do cut some frequencies. I've wondered if the dpa's with rats is as effective as the shures without cutting frequencies. I asked in tims "dead muppets" thread but never got an answer.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
Run the Shures outdoors always, mostly with rats. Small windtechs indoors. I'm with Gordan.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:45:58 PM »
Size of the microphone doesn't matter.
Wind strength does (obviously) and polar pattern does- the more directional the mic is, the more susceptible it will be to wind noise.

Big foam works better than small.  Fur works better than no fur.
You can often get away with smaller foam screens combined with fur, or bigger foam screens like the big ass Shures without fur.
For recording hurricanes, tornados or at high speed, better use both, or a serious fur covered blimp housing!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
outside I only use the big ass shures.  I use the dpa's inside. I've gotten wind noise with the dpa's even when it wasn't very windy so they shures are all I use now. dead rats/muppets over dpa's should be enough most of the time but I don't have any. big screens do cut some frequencies. I've wondered if the dpa's with rats is as effective as the shures without cutting frequencies. I asked in tims "dead muppets" thread but never got an answer.

I can answer this from experience, NO adding dead muppets to the DPA's is not as effective as BAS's. I'll only use DPA's indoors after getting hit with wind noise using them outdoors with muppets.

BAS's with muppets are what I run now, you never know when a breeze can sneak up on you and good luck trying to remove wind noise once it's recorded. A pair of them with muppets fits nicely in the portabrace zip pouch with clear window so taking them along for outdoor use is just a matter of attaching the pouch to an equipment strap before leaving.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:46:52 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:56:13 PM »
Big screens and fur supposedly effect the polar pattern, but not significantly enough to matter in my experience.  The high-frequency cut from using bigger windscreens and/or fur does matter however and is easily noticeable, but is more or less completely reversible with the appropriate EQ correction.  Wind noise is not.  Wind noise sucks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:38:36 AM »
The high-frequency cut from using bigger windscreens and/or fur does matter however and is easily noticeable, but is more or less completely reversible with the appropriate EQ correction.

This is one of the reasons I think people that don't EQ because 'it's not what we heard at the show' are a little bit off with their logic. 

There are two other reasons I like bigger screens with fur that don't have to do with wind protection;

1) They offer some protection/shock absorption of the mic ends/capsules in case your stand tumbles.  If you tape enough, your stand will tumble no matter how well you stake it or tape it down.  A taped stand is no match for an overly drunk patron.

2) They act as a slight moisture buffer in case it starts to drizzle.  I don't rely on this, but sometimes when I'm outside and I'm lazy about putting my umbrella on a my stand, the rain catches me off guard before I can get my umbrella up.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 08:28:27 AM »
I use TBrown's muppets over the small stock foam screens with my CM3s.  That combination has worked great for me, even at some very windy marching band shows.  My only problem is that these mics are so small (77mm) that it's hard to push even the stock foam all the way on when they're mounted.  The BAS screens are totally out of the question for these.  This is one of the reasons I built my DIY mounts using Rycote lyres - I needed them to be even shorter than the INV-6.  On occasion, I've had the screens blow off in a stiff wind - I'm thinking of just putting an elastic hair band around them to keep them in place in the future.

The other option I'm considering is to trim about a half inch or so off of the bottom of of the stock foam screens so they aren't interfered with by the mounts, and then have Tim make me an equally shorter set of muppets.  As it is right now, the screens extend quite far back from the side vents on the mics - far more than they need to, I think.  I also plan to switch to using omnis for my marching band recordings this year, so that will be even less of a concern.  The stock screens are almost exactly like these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/850366-REG/auray_whf_2040_hh_foam_20mm_1_dia_40mm_1_6.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
As long as you have enough length to push it on, you can use a BAS over a small foam.  I've done that with even smaller mics.  The small foam fills the gap so the BAS stays on snugly enough.

Few more tips-

Make sure the screens are covering both the front and side vents equally, with about the same amount of foam/fur over each.

I saturate mine with silicone water repellent once or twice a year (let them dry out thoroughly before using them), which doesn't substitute for an umbrella, but provides some degree of water repellency, keeps them cleaner, and also prevents them from becoming saturated if they get splashed, fall in a puddle or whatever.

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »

Make sure the screens are covering both the front and side vents equally, with about the same amount of foam/fur over each.

I still have a pair of DPAs with fur covering them that I haven't used in a long time, but the fur doesn't close down tightly onto the back of the DPA screens.  I don't use them now that I have better screens because I had some wind noise seepage one day at a festival a few years back where there were pretty good gusts coming from the rear.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
The only real rule of thumb is to use a windscreen that has sufficient wind taming capabilities to prevent wind rumble on your recordings. The windtechs are usually fine for indoors - unless you are under a ceiling fan or near a HVAC duct.  DPA-0896s maybe fine outdoors in a light-moderate breeze but they would be better with some fur over them. Bare DPAs are no match for the Shure A81WSs in a strong breeze or with gusts over 25. Had four identical mics, one set with DPAs and the other set with the BASs and the DPA set suffered from rumbling when the gusts were over 25 whereas the BASs were good to over 35 (note wind speeds are my guestimated velocity). I then retired the DPAs for indoor use in venues where I know the HVAC is problematic (read unavoidable).

Big screens and fur supposedly effect the polar pattern, but not significantly enough to matter in my experience.  The high-frequency cut from using bigger windscreens and/or fur does matter however and is easily noticeable, but is more or less completely reversible with the appropriate EQ correction.  Wind noise is not.  Wind noise sucks.

Somewhat tangential, has anyone compared the BAShures to the Rycote softies?

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »
Somewhat tangential, has anyone compared the BAShures to the Rycote softies?

I have both...I'll do a test and post the results.

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »
Thanks everyone.

So am I hearing DPA indoors (or small windtechs).
BAS with deadrats outdoors?

Can someone recommend a model of both the DPAs and BASs?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:14:24 AM »
See flipp's post above:

DPA-0896
Shure-A81WS

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
See flipp's post above:

DPA-0896
Shure-A81WS

^^ Yes these, however, alternatively Rycote "Softies" are also an excellent solution if you are starting from nothing.  I use a "Classic Softie" on my Ikegami MC-11 short shotgun for video, there were issues with some of the Super Softies at the time so I passed on them per thread link below.  I'd like to pick up Rycote "Windjammers" to replace the muppets for my BAS's but haven't determined which size is best for these.  I've got one of the Rycote Windjammers on the windscreen for my VP-88 and like it better than the muppets.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=171449.0
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com