Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Model C 426 B (or equivalent) for MS  (Read 3613 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
AKG Model C 426 B (or equivalent) for MS
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:10 PM »
Reading up on MS techniques and saw this mic, which has been discontinued and from what I see, $$$.

Is there an equivalent to this out there?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG Model C 426 B (or equivalent) for MS
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
Not really equivalent at all, but if you mean "all in one M/S" mic there are lots of options. DigiGal has run the Shure VP88 with great results. The Studio Projects LSD2 aka Busman BSC4 can also make nice tapes
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:51:45 AM »
There's also the small diaphragm AKG C34. It was available with a selector box like the C426 or without in an MS model only which is a card & figure of eight. I have one of the MS models that needs new caps, someday I'll get around to fixing it but I'm pretty much over coincident recordings now a days.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 06:53:17 AM by carlbeck »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
There's the Avantone CK-40, which is a large (35 mm) diaphragm stereo mic which operates similarly and has omni, card and fig 8 caps.  Quiet, large, well constructed and good bang for the buck.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »
Another similar LD stereo mic (switchable omni/card/8 caps) which is one step up from the LSD2 and BSC4 is the Peluso P-Stereo.  Caps only rotate to a max of 90 degrees apart however.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
Makes me mildly nuts that mics like the Avantone  CK-40 offer useless configs like coincident dual omni but don't offer useful settings like wide cardioid and hypercardioid.

Fran

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Makes me mildly nuts that mics like the Avantone  CK-40 offer useless configs like coincident dual omni but don't offer useful settings like wide cardioid and hypercardioid.

Fran

I have put the electronics and capsules of two CAD179s in a single case with a rotating capsule head. The patterns of both capsules are remotely variable (via a 20 foot 12-conductor cable), from Omni through Fig 8, so you can have Blumlein, M-S (with any pattern for the M), Cardioid X-Y, etc. Also the capsules can rotate to any polar position, from 0 to 180 degrees relative to each other. It works very well, though is not cheap to build. But PM me if you're interested (and have tons of money to spend!)  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:45:10 PM by groovon »

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »

Fran

I have put the electronics and capsules of two CAD179s in a single case with a rotating capsule head. The patterns of both capsules are remotely variable (via a 20 foot 12-conductor cable), from Omni through Fig 8, so you can have Blumlein, M-S (with any pattern for the M), Cardioid X-Y, etc. Also the capsules can rotate to any polar position, from 0 to 180 degrees relative to each other. It works very well, though is not cheap to build. But PM me if you're interested (and have tons of money to spend!)  ;D

Dave

Dave, your system sounds intriguing. Mind PMing me with a cost estimate? Or publish it if you prefer. I don't have a need for the remote config capability, but the rest sounds intriguing.

Fran

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »

Fran

Agreed, but what it does (XY and M/S), it does well.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »

Fran

Agreed, but what it does (XY and M/S), it does well.

So I was kind of curious about this as well, why would you ever run one omni above another omni?  I assume you would point both omni capsules directly at the sound source, no?

Would this ever be worthwhile?  Is it even a "legitimate" config?  I'm familiar with A/B spaced omnis, but not coincident omnis.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
For stereo use, mostly M/S with an omni mid.  I suppose two coincident omnis may be useful for some close-mic'ing applications, but not for what we are doing.  Angled apart (probably 90 to 180 degrees) doing so may be useful as a way to introduce a touch of stereo "air" and interest into an otherwise predominantly monophonic track.  Could be useful for a vocals or a solo instrument.

For single channel use the omni position is of course useful as a single omni, or one could record both omni and 8 with both caps pointed in the same direction and combine them later in varying degrees and polarities to produce any 1st order pattern.  You only get one channel output by doing that, but gain the advantage of dialing in any pattern with the ability to change it while listening later.  Likewise one can cut that full range of adjustment in half by recording cardioid and 8, or cardioid and omni, to matrix later and dial in patterns between the two.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Cool, thanks for the detailed explanation.  I pretty much figured it would not be a configuration we'd run.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com