Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: super clamp handle threading?  (Read 6585 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
super clamp handle threading?
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
Does anyone know what the threading is for the bolt coming out of the super clamp handle?  I need to purchase a temporary bolt to take its place from the hardware store for a gig tomorrow night, and can't find this info anywhere.  I figured I'd ask the great hive mind before I went through everything in the store to see what fits.

If there's any confusion, I'm talking about this piece.

Long story short, I bought a second clamp on eBay, but the clamp that came had the T-handle instead of the "ratchet" handle as pictured in the sale.  I strongly prefer the ratchet-style, so I convinced the seller to simply swap handles with me instead of the entire clamp, as they are interchangeable.  I sent mine back right away, but I don't have his and he isn't getting back to me with a request for a tracking number.  So right now I have one complete clamp, and one missing its handle.  If I can find a 3 inch bolt with the correct threading, I can use the second one right now, and won't have to resort to a gaff-tape rigging.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: super clamp handle threading?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:31:22 PM »
Most home center/hardware stores will have pitch and sizing guages by their nut and bolt bins so you won't have to try every bolt in the store. It's smaller than 3/8" and I'm guessing it is a metric bolt. Eyeballing it it looks like a 8mm x 20 thread pitch - at least the 1/4x20 standard camera mount screws I have are the same thread pitch as the bolt you are looking for.

If no one else gets the measurements for you tonight I can head to the shed in the morning and dig out my tap and dies and get the exact size for you.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:15 PM »
Not a big fan of the T-Handle either. I prefer the lever style.

Volt- when you say "ratchet" style handle I don't believe any of the Manfrotto handles are truly ratchet style handles. The lever is permanently affixed. To see the difference between what I call a lever handle and a true ratchet handle see below video. The umbrella swivel has a ratchet handle and the Manfrotto clamp has the fixed lever handle.

I don't know if that is something important to you, but to me it is. I have a local venue that I tape in fairly often where running a stand just isn't an option, but I can clamp to a vertical steel I-beam dead center and right in the sweet spot. However, there is not enough room for the handle to make a full rotation because it hits the opposite side of the I-beam. That's where having the ratchet handle becomes crucial. There's also a few venues where I clamp in a balcony on to the toeboard instead of the handrail and it is not possible to get 360* rotation because the handle hits the floor. Ratchet handle to the rescue again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or67cqIVsow

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:46:10 AM »

Volt- when you say "ratchet" style handle I don't believe any of the Manfrotto handles are truly ratchet style handles. The lever is permanently affixed. To see the difference between what I call a lever handle and a true ratchet handle see below video. The umbrella swivel has a ratchet handle and the Manfrotto clamp has the fixed lever handle.

I don't know if that is something important to you, but to me it is. I have a local venue that I tape in fairly often where running a stand just isn't an option, but I can clamp to a vertical steel I-beam dead center and right in the sweet spot. However, there is not enough room for the handle to make a full rotation because it hits the opposite side of the I-beam. That's where having the ratchet handle becomes crucial. There's also a few venues where I clamp in a balcony on to the toeboard instead of the handrail and it is not possible to get 360* rotation because the handle hits the floor. Ratchet handle to the rescue again.

I know it doesn't ratchet - I own a second clamp with this style handle, and I've never been sure why they call it that when that's not what it does! ???  I wish they made one that actually does ratchet - that would be pretty handy.

The nice thing about the T-handle is that the handle itself appears to be aluminum, but for the me the "ratchet" handle is so much faster to open and close, and gives you way more torque when cranking down, and that's why I wanted my second one to have that.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:48:29 AM »
Most home center/hardware stores will have pitch and sizing guages by their nut and bolt bins so you won't have to try every bolt in the store. It's smaller than 3/8" and I'm guessing it is a metric bolt. Eyeballing it it looks like a 8mm x 20 thread pitch - at least the 1/4x20 standard camera mount screws I have are the same thread pitch as the bolt you are looking for.

If no one else gets the measurements for you tonight I can head to the shed in the morning and dig out my tap and dies and get the exact size for you.

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be metric.  I have to head out to the gig by 3pm today, so I'll probably swing by the home center today and check their gauges.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »
Thread guage shows the bolt to be 20 threads per inch (1.25 mm between threads)  and the bolt is 8mm in diameter (die that fits is an 8 x 1.25) so just find the length you need and remember to take a socket or small adjustable wrench with you so you can apply enough torque to tighten the clamp enough to get a secure grip.

Hope the ratcheting/indexing lever handle is in today's mail so you don't have to purchase a bolt.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
Thread guage shows the bolt to be 20 threads per inch (1.25 mm between threads)  and the bolt is 8mm in diameter (die that fits is an 8 x 1.25) so just find the length you need and remember to take a socket or small adjustable wrench with you so you can apply enough torque to tighten the clamp enough to get a secure grip.

Hope the ratcheting/indexing lever handle is in today's mail so you don't have to purchase a bolt.

Thanks so much for checking that for me - saves me a lot of time.  Yes, I planned to take a small socket with me.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:18 PM »

I know it doesn't ratchet - I own a second clamp with this style handle, and I've never been sure why they call it that when that's not what it does! ???  I wish they made one that actually does ratchet - that would be pretty handy.

The nice thing about the T-handle is that the handle itself appears to be aluminum, but for the me the "ratchet" handle is so much faster to open and close, and gives you way more torque when cranking down, and that's why I wanted my second one to have that.

I'll have to do some research, but I did eventually find a Manfrotto Superclamp knock-off that has a ratchet handle that actually ratchets. If you'd like me to do some digging to find it let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »

I'll have to do some research, but I did eventually find a Manfrotto Superclamp knock-off that has a ratchet handle that actually ratchets. If you'd like me to do some digging to find it let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction...

Don't knock yourself out.  It's highly doubtful that I'd replace my clamps entirely.  I would be interested if there were a way to modify / replace the existing handle with a ratcheting mechanism.  It seems like you'd need such a mechanism that would be the size of the existing hex bolt, which might be hard to do.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 03:12:02 PM »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=824360&gclid=CjwKEAjwpaqvBRCxzIGoxs6v2TkSJADel-MI57C0mBRntPxb1AVMQuOmvb2_BKQ9OkGUP8PgOjNPIRoCF4Xw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
^ Does that Impact actually ratchet?  Or is it just called that like the Manfrotto?  I see no mention of ratcheting mechanism in the reviews, and in all the pics I can find online looks like it's exactly like the Manfrotto with a simple bolt-and-nut tightening mechanism.

In any case, like I said I'm not buying new clamps and am perfectly happy with the non-ratcheting "ratchet" handle.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »
The tight quarters is the reason I have a T handle on one my Super Clamps. In a tight spice, the T handle has no problem rotating. Not sure why you are enamored with the non-ratcheting rachet handle. I don't have a problem tightening it enough for my needs with the T handle.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
The tight quarters is the reason I have a T handle on one my Super Clamps. In a tight spice, the T handle has no problem rotating. Not sure why you are enamored with the non-ratcheting rachet handle. I don't have a problem tightening it enough for my needs with the T handle.

I also like the speed that I can open and close the "ratchet" handle, and in this case the seller didn't send what he had pictured so I'm trying to get him to make it right.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
I'm fairly certain that the Impact clamp Scoobie posted has the ratcheting handle...

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »
I think its good to carry both the 'lever' and the 't' handle type (I keep all this kind of stuff in an extra gear bag in the car.) There are times when the quick and strong tightening of the 'ratchet' stlye is impractical, as vanark mentions.
They must call it a 'ratchet' handle to designate that it can be tightened down with better pressure than the t handle.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com