Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USB Audio Interface help (suggestions) needed.  (Read 3411 times)

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
USB Audio Interface help (suggestions) needed.
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:33:15 PM »
I am using a Behringer UCA-202 for transferring cassettes via USB.  My main issue is the the USB out seams to be mono, I don't know why or how as USB is just DATA but it's all coming in as mono.  Let me be clear, it's a two channel transfer but both channels are identical (see screen cap).  When I transfer direct from cassette deck to a recorder via 1/8 mini jack there stereo seperation is as it should be.  So my question is, am I doing something wrong?  More importantly, is there a better USB audio interface out there that I should be looking at?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: USB Audio Interface help (suggestions) needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:40:25 PM »
First check the cable, make sure it's plugged all the way in and is a 3-conductor cable on both ends (i know, you're probably not an idiot, but I gotta ask!).

Then, can you make a test signal that is just left and then just right channel and see if you're getting both channels summed, or just one channel duplicated? That might be instructive.

the thing says it's stereo... is there a software / system control panel for it?

What recording software are you using? (oh, adobe audition - I know nothing about that one - check the control panels?)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:33:31 AM »
  More importantly, is there a better USB audio interface out there that I should be looking at?

I'm not a fan of most things Behringer especially at the low end of their price range except for their cable tester.

I have been using and highly recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

It's cheap, it sounds great and has been rock solid for me so far. I have even used the onboard preamps for some quick and dirty recording into Adobe Audition and it sounded fine.

One thing to consider is if the cassette you are transferring is actually mixed in stereo or is it dual mono? Try multiple tapes.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
On the Audition side - you may have to assign the correct channels to your tracks...otherwise you'll get all channel 1. (or all L)

Not familiar enough with Audition to help more...

backwhereubelong

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:49:38 PM »
  More importantly, is there a better USB audio interface out there that I should be looking at?

I'm not a fan of most things Behringer especially at the low end of their price range except for their cable tester.

I have been using and highly recommend the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

It's cheap, it sounds great and has been rock solid for me so far. I have even used the onboard preamps for some quick and dirty recording into Adobe Audition and it sounded fine.

One thing to consider is if the cassette you are transferring is actually mixed in stereo or is it dual mono? Try multiple tapes.

Awesome recommendation!  Thank you.  I see it doesn't have RCA inputs, so do you use RCA to XLR adaptors and flip the switch from "mic" to "line" for the inputs?  Do you use the RCA to dual XLR or just one?  Sorry for all the questions.  LOL.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:09:08 PM by backwhereubelong »

backwhereubelong

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »
On the Audition side - you may have to assign the correct channels to your tracks...otherwise, you'll get all channel 1. (or all L)

Not familiar enough with Audition to help more...

That was the first thing I checked ... I thought that as well but it's somehow combining by left and right channels and you basically get a double mono (if that makes any sense).  Kind of strange.

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:10 PM »

I use RCA to TRS 1/4 inch cables. The input jacks are combination XLR/TRS Neutriks.

Yes, Line level on the input switch. If you need to add any gain it's available and nice and clean.

To me the main plus of this unit has been the rock solid compatibility with hardware and software. The last two interfaces I had were a little quirky (Tascam US800 and it's associated control panel) or had become outdated and drivers were no longer updated for use with newer operating systems (Presonus Firebox).
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

backwhereubelong

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »

I use RCA to TRS 1/4 inch cables. The input jacks are combination XLR/TRS Neutrik.

Yes, Line level on the input switch. If you need to add any gain it's available and nice and clean.

To me, the main plus of this unit has been the rock-solid compatibility with hardware and software. The last two interfaces I had were a little quirky (Tascam US800 and it's associated control panel) or had become outdated and drivers were no longer updated for use with newer operating systems (Presonus Firebox).

DONE!  Amazon just got some of my money.  Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com