Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic stand and tbar  (Read 6497 times)

Offline cherise64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic stand and tbar
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:37:58 AM »
Looking for a mic stand and tbar ideas.. want to run a 3 mic setup. Anyone have ideas on what to do for a tbar? Also need a new mic stand, good size please.
Thank you !

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic stand and tbar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
Best stand I've ever used is the Manfrotto 1004BAC.

Mic bar for a 3-mic setup might be tricky if you need your middle mic dead center.  I have one of followinbob's 24 inch bars though, and think that would work.  The center mount is 3/8" through-drilled.  You could get a 3/8" rapid adapter and maybe the thread would stick out through enough to mount your middle mic.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 08:56:27 AM »
Or if you need a more portable stand, the Manfrotto Nano.  Works great for smaller venues and stows in a pack or bag.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »

Online voltronic

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »
^ That one looks like the ticket for a 3-mic array.

Sebastian: do the mic brackets allow you to tighten down to support mics at different vertical angles?

I imagine Gutbucket may chime in here, as he is a big proponent of this kind of setup.  If not, it may be worth sending a PM.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »
Sebastian: do the mic brackets allow you to tighten down to support mics at different vertical angles?

Yes, all three brackes are freely movable to any position on the bar. You can even adjust their tilt (although I've never done that).

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline cherise64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
Thanks ... will the nak mic holders go on that tbar you think ?

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »

Yes, all three brackes are freely movable to any position on the bar. You can even adjust their tilt (although I've never done that).

That really comes in handy sometimes when clamping. Another nice thing is that you can get ~ 66 cm spread for omnis on the two outer posts. Easy to mount three pairs, too. The only drawback is that it is bulky and heavy...

Online voltronic

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »

The tilt is what I was referring to, thanks.  I was wondering if the clamping system holds securely to mount mics with a significant tilt angle.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline cherise64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Any links for stands ? Also anymore tbars?

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
The tilt is what I was referring to, thanks.  I was wondering if the clamping system holds securely to mount mics with a significant tilt angle.

Yes, this thing is rock solid.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
+1 for the Manfrotto 1004BAC

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 12:20:15 AM »
Any links for stands ?

I have a couple of these. At least I think that is the brand, they are all pretty much the same in the $50-$60 range. The only problem in over 10 years is the air cushion does not work right in some sections and I have to help it down sometimes. I am not sure that is not from something other than storing them next to the wood though.

The main thing is to get one that is taller than you plan to run (I only ever go 7'-8'). Extending the sections completely means that it will wobble easily.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »

That really comes in handy sometimes when clamping. Another nice thing is that you can get ~ 66 cm spread for omnis on the two outer posts. Easy to mount three pairs, too. The only drawback is that it is bulky and heavy...

If you need a more portable option: You could use the Manfrotto Dado adapter (or one of its Chinese knock-offs) and 2 small extension poles.  Like this.

These extension poles would have the added advantage that you could have a spread of approx. 1m between the outer mics (if necessary).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:36:34 AM by if_then_else »

Offline robtweed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:31 AM »
Any links for stands ? Also anymore tbars?

Having read various reviews I got one of these - ridiculously good value for money.  Weighs a ton, and is quite long even when folded right down, but solid as a rock.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_ms_200.htm

I created my own tbar with a 1m length of L section aluminium from a hardware store - only cost a couple of UK pounds if that!  I've pre-drilled it and marked it out for correct angling of the mics I use (for any combination of 67cm, 47cm and ORTF).  Maybe not very pretty but it does the job :-)

Must take some close-up photos, but here's the rig in use:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14645984@N05/23453048670/in/album-72157661820194240/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14645984@N05/23666392971/in/album-72157661820194240/

Mics: DPA 2011C, Line Audio OM1 & CM3, Calrec CM652D, Behringer C-4
Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H4n, Sound Devices USBPre2 + MacBook Air
Mixdown: Audacity, Cubase LE on Mac OS X
Playback: Beresford Caiman II DAC, Naim NAP 100 amp, PMC TB2i speakers

Online voltronic

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »

If you need a more portable option: You could use the Manfrotto Dado adapter (or one of its Chinese knock-offs) and 2 small extension poles.  Like this.

These extension poles would have the added advantage that you could have a spread of approx. 1m between the outer mics (if necessary).

Where did you find your black version of the Dado knock-off?  I have only found it here or here.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
Two more t-bars for ultra-low prices.  These won't allow for center-mic mounting, but are possibly the cheapest way to mount a stereo pair.  Don't let the seller scare you off - I've bought a bunch of things from them and they are reliable.

30cm width with 5/8" thread knobs (I own two of this one)
20cm width with 3/8" threaded knobs
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline robtweed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
One of the things I found most difficult to find for a DIY tbar was mounting screws for the microphone clips/holders.  Till now I've been using them from other basic stereo bars that I had, but yesterday finally found that you can get these 3/8 inch K&M ones as separate accessories and ordered 4:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_raendelschraube.htm

They fit the holders that come with Line Audio mics perfectly (I already had 2 from a K&M stereo bar)

Mind you I had to pay more in postage than the screws cost!
Mics: DPA 2011C, Line Audio OM1 & CM3, Calrec CM652D, Behringer C-4
Recorders: Zoom F8, Zoom H4n, Sound Devices USBPre2 + MacBook Air
Mixdown: Audacity, Cubase LE on Mac OS X
Playback: Beresford Caiman II DAC, Naim NAP 100 amp, PMC TB2i speakers

Online voltronic

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
One of the things I found most difficult to find for a DIY tbar was mounting screws for the microphone clips/holders.  Till now I've been using them from other basic stereo bars that I had, but yesterday finally found that you can get these 3/8 inch K&M ones as separate accessories and ordered 4:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_raendelschraube.htm

They fit the holders that come with Line Audio mics perfectly (I already had 2 from a K&M stereo bar)

Mind you I had to pay more in postage than the screws cost!

Again, a high quality alternative can be found within the TS community.  I mentioned followinbob earlier in this thread for his wide mic bars.  He also makes very nice 3/8" thumbscrews for said bars and will sell them separately, but they could be used on other mic bars as well.  You may need to use a washer or spacer if your bar is thin. 

(Note for those interested in his products - he checks email far more often than PMs or posts here.)
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »

Where did you find your black version of the Dado knock-off?  I have only found it here or here.

On aliexpress.

Online voltronic

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 11:56:52 AM »
^ Thanks.  It looks like the same exact one as the two I found.  I haven't bought one yet, but I was wondering if you could speak to the quality of the machining?  The product photo shows some rough spots, which I would expect at this price.

I wonder if all of these different Dado clones are all made in the same factory in China.  (And if you put your tinfoil hat on, maybe the Manfrotto version also?)
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 12:20:03 PM »
^ Thanks.  It looks like the same exact one as the two I found.  I haven't bought one yet, but I was wondering if you could speak to the quality of the machining?  The product photo shows some rough spots, which I would expect at this price.

I wonder if all of these different Dado clones are all made in the same factory in China.  (And if you put your tinfoil hat on, maybe the Manfrotto version also?)

Quality-wise, I can spot no real difference to the original (red) Manfrotto Dado that I use as a part of my video rig. I'd suspect that they might have been made by one of Manfrotto's OEMs. Designed in Italy - probably. Where exactly they're made: now I'm not so sure. ;)

With both versions you have to be careful as far as the powder coating is concerned. I use some thin plastic washers to protect the coating from scratches.

Online voltronic

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »

Quality-wise, I can spot no real difference to the original (red) Manfrotto Dado that I use as a part of my video rig. I'd suspect that they might have been made by one of Manfrotto's OEMs. Designed in Italy - probably. Where exactly they're made: now I'm not so sure. ;)

With both versions you have to be careful as far as the powder coating is concerned. I use some thin plastic washers to protect the coating from scratches.

Good to know.  And I have neoprene washers on all of my 3/8" mounting hardware.  Not only does it help prevent scuffing finishes, but helps keep things tightened securely.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline cherise64

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
Thank you everyone! !!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.189 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com