Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor Festival Windscreens  (Read 16630 times)

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Outdoor Festival Windscreens
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Trying to decide on the BA Shures or a pair of Rycote Softies for outdoor festival use. I will be running them on the MK41 > KCY setup. Rycote's seems  little more versitle, not interested in the Movo or other light colored fur or slip-on options.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Outdoor Festival Windscreens
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
The Rode WS8 works great for me, and much cheaper than the Rycote option.

I can understand not wanting the white / gray Movo clone of the Softie, but Movo also makes a Super Softie clone that is all black:
http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline caymanreview

• shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
I really like the looks of those ws8's. Im gonna order a pair

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:15:47 PM »
Do the BA Shures provide more protection than the rycote/rode fur options?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »
Do the BA Shures provide more protection than the rycote/rode fur options?
We use the Shure A81WS for our AKg 460 mics, I have not used the Rycote/rode's but I can say the Shures do a wonderful job. 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68646-REG/Shure_A81WS_A81WS_Windscreen_for.html/SHA81WS
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
I've used the Rycote Softies (and DPA's UA0896 with dead rats) and the Softies did a nice job in a pretty windy environment with MK41's.  I'm the BA Shure's will do the trick as well.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
I have both the BAShures and Softies.  I haven't had an issue with either of them as far as the wind goes, so if price is your primary factor I'd probably go with the Shures because they're cheaper.  That said, I definitely prefer the softies.  The rear rubber seal is superior for ensuring the screen stays in place, which admittedly isn't much of an issue on the BAShures either but could be if you're using short mics, such as in the case of active setups.  I also like how I can throw them in my bag and even if they're packed in there, they spring right back to original shape immediately.  The Softies also excel when exposed to rain IMHO because the foam and fur material doesn't retain water.  After rain, just give it a squeeze and a shake to get any moisture out, then comb or fluff the fur and they're pretty much back to original again.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »

I can understand not wanting the white / gray Movo clone of the Softie, but Movo also makes a Super Softie clone that is all black:
http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM

I like the looks of both of those options.  If you purchased the black Movo clone of the Super Softie would you recommend the 3m or 6cm version for Nbob actives of the Gefell/Schoeps variety and would you recommend the 3m or 6cm versionfor Milab VM-44 Links?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »

I like the looks of both of those options.  If you purchased the black Movo clone of the Super Softie would you recommend the 3m or 6cm version for Nbob actives of the Gefell/Schoeps variety and would you recommend the 3m or 6cm versionfor Milab VM-44 Links?

Well, I'd go with something no bigger than the WS8, as that is just the right size for my CM3s and X-Qs, and they are about the size of actives.  It's listed as compatible with the NT6 remote capsule mic.  The WS8 lists its dimensions as 100 x 100 x 100 mm, which I can tell you is just the outer furriness, but it also says:
The WS8 supports microphones of 20mm diameter and 27mm capsule depth.

Unfortunately, Movo has no documentation that the WS or WSTT screens even exist on their website - you only see them on Amazon.  From the 6cm version of the WS80 (white Softie clone) description:
The Movo WS80 fits microphones 18-24mm diameter and up to 6cm long

So transferring that to the WSTT (Super Softie clones), I would say go for the 6cm.  You want some air space in front of the capsule anyway, and if the 3cm turns out to be pretty short you may have to really shove it on there, resulting in worse performance and/or only being able to use it with omni capsules.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
^
Thanks voltronic!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
I tried a pair of those Movo WS80 a couple of weekends ago in Miami, with 10-15 mph steady wind (20 mph gusts) coming off Biscayne Bay.

No wind in any of my recordings...I ran CM-300 NAK omni's spread 16' in a small outdoor pavilion.

Great product for the price.  They have earned their place in my gear bag;  I especially like the rubber base seals.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
Do the Rode WS9 Deluxe fit the Schoeps caps with actives? I like the price! Also do they pack well into a bag?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:07:06 PM by nolamule »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
Do the Rode WS9 Deluxe fit the Schoeps caps with actives? I like the price! Also do they pack well into a bag?

The WS9 is made for mics that are 21mm diameter.  The WS8 (what I'm using) is for 20mm mics.  I doubt that 1mm is going to make much of a difference.  The WS8 is fur around open-cell foam with a rubber ring at the opening that grips against the mic body.  It doesn't "seal" like the Rycote Softie and the Movo clones, but I have had zero problems with wind noise leaking in.  The WS8s could be squished a bit, but I prefer to keep them un-squished in a vinyl banker's bag.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
I tried a pair of those Movo WS80 a couple of weekends ago in Miami, with 10-15 mph steady wind (20 mph gusts) coming off Biscayne Bay.

No wind in any of my recordings...I ran CM-300 NAK omni's spread 16' in a small outdoor pavilion.

Great product for the price.  They have earned their place in my gear bag;  I especially like the rubber base seals.

I also run screens on my omni setups, but only for the odd, direct, strong gust that might ordinarily be inaudible (more or less) with an omni.

Believe me, there were gusts.....but none in my tapes all weekend.  Omnis are optimal in those conditions, of course.  I'm no dummy..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 06:55:08 AM »

But be aware that Rycote really *do*know the science behind wind protection and the hairy fabric that Rycote use is a very special design and used only by them.

I do know more about it's construction, but I'm not going to go into details on a public forum with details that have been given to me in confidence.  But the construction of Rycote's Windjammer fabric is designed to maximise the supression of wind noise while, at the same time, minimising high frequency loss and colouration.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com