Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 27988 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Saint Paul, MN
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
You don't need an IPA, you need a Y cable, ideally with a resistor to match the output impedance of the Nbox (which I don't know).

Thank you.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
Bean, I wanted the IPA the way it is.  The XLR is 3 pin into the RA stereo mini. 

I asked Jon about a mini only output from where the XLR output is.  The PFA is part of the XLR jack so that has to be the way it is. 

I suppose one could do like you suggested and run out of the mini output and not use the XLR out.  Maybe--need to check with Jon first on that.
Zoom H4nPro Internals!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (122)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05:03 AM »
Bean, I wanted the IPA the way it is.  The XLR is 3 pin into the RA stereo mini. 

I asked Jon about a mini only output from where the XLR output is.  The PFA is part of the XLR jack so that has to be the way it is. 

I suppose one could do like you suggested and run out of the mini output and not use the XLR out.  Maybe--need to check with Jon first on that.

Just wondered buddy 8) I just saw the option to have the extended case for the ability to have an XLR AND Mini output, and was curious why you went with one over the other! Since you're the first person I've seen with one of these, I'm obviously very curious about it, so sorry for all of the questions Gormenghast ;) I think its a beautiful design overall and I really want one now ;D I love that its a stereo PFA/Amp, yet housed in such a TINY package! I can't wait to hear your first shows with it! I'm very glad that Jon is still providing HQ products tailored to OUR needs, and at amazing prices too IMO! Like I said, I can't wait to hear some shows this these ;D
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »

Just wondered buddy 8) I just saw the option to have the extended case for the ability to have an XLR AND Mini output, and was curious why you went with one over the other! Since you're the first person I've seen with one of these, I'm obviously very curious about it, so sorry for all of the questions Gormenghast ;) I think its a beautiful design overall and I really want one now ;D I love that its a stereo PFA/Amp, yet housed in such a TINY package! I can't wait to hear your first shows with it! I'm very glad that Jon is still providing HQ products tailored to OUR needs, and at amazing prices too IMO! Like I said, I can't wait to hear some shows this these ;D

All's good bean  :D

Ask any question you like and I'll do the best to answer. 

As for recordings--it'll be a while until I can get away for something to tape.  My kids keep me busy with sports and when it's not sports, it's always something else.  But we have a big run with SCI.  Journey, Doobie Bro's, Foreigner, and a few bluegrass stuff planned this summer.  We'll see what happens.  I took my son and daughter to SCI last January and ditched the rig and hung out with them for their first big concert experience.  Such a  great hit with my son that he wants to do more but this time around I might roll tape and see if he's interested in that sort of thing. 
Zoom H4nPro Internals!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (122)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 03:47:47 PM »

All's good bean  :D

Ask any question you like and I'll do the best to answer. 

As for recordings--it'll be a while until I can get away for something to tape.  My kids keep me busy with sports and when it's not sports, it's always something else.  But we have a big run with SCI.  Journey, Doobie Bro's, Foreigner, and a few bluegrass stuff planned this summer.  We'll see what happens.  I took my son and daughter to SCI last January and ditched the rig and hung out with them for their first big concert experience.  Such a  great hit with my son that he wants to do more but this time around I might roll tape and see if he's interested in that sort of thing. 

Sounds like a good summer to me! You never know, you're son could be a tapir waiting to blossom lol ;D But its really cool that he was into SCI and wants to continue seeing shows with you 8) I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some of your IPA tapes! And thanks again for answering all of my questions! I'm very intrigued now!!!
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
Bean, read the above webpage:

POWER OPTIONS

The IPA has a flexible power supply scheme that can support:

+9V to +52V phantom power
an internal A23 battery (optional; not included)
external battery or AC adaptor via DC power port (+5V to +15V; +12V recommended)

You could use Capsules> KCY> IPA> Recorder. The IPA's internal battery would provide the 60v to the caps, and the IPA could provide basic gain. As Jon's said in the thread, this is a replacement for the tinybox.
I read the webpage but what you just wrote above was not clear to me from reading it. "Can support" is the not the same notion as "can deliver" in terms of power supply. The above (especially the picture) did clarify it for me...

Likewise, someone please indulge yet another question I can't figure out from the website:

I have some NBob cables with the standard NBox connectors (I believe those are EN3s -- the things that screw together). If anyone has adapted those to a tinybox or IPA, how did you do it? I feel like I asked folks about adapters and it's maybe not possible, but want to throw that question out there again.... (currently they have an attachment cable that terminates in two PFAs)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:06:10 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
It is possible to add the new PFA polarization voltage circuit to v1 tinyboxes internally, so that v1 tinyboxes can also support actives.
Is it a TB version 1? Above is a quote from a closed topic in the Retail Section. I know Jon made many Nbox supported Tinyboxes...and if you now have the PFA internal I guess it's just a matter of a new pigtail with the correct Nbox Binder connectors.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »
IPA does not support Nbox format because the supply for the FET is 8-10V.  Any tinybox can be modified to support Nbox, I would recommend via 6-pin mini-XLR adaptor.

Offline spybo

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
Hi Jon,
I'm just after an IPA with stereo minijacks in/out and a 3 way gain switch- 0/10/15....got plenty of 23A batteries.
All possible?
Cheers mate

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (47)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 04:25:16 PM »
It could be done but there still has to be something at the far end of the case; a minijack is too small for that hole (it starts like as an RCA D-panel).  So the minijacks would both have to be on top of the case next to each other, or maybe on the side with the LED.  Then I could use a blank panel on the end, but that would have to be plastic.

I recommend using a 3-pin mini-XLR as a PIP input, although I know few mics are wired that way.  It's a worthwhile change to get a latching connector that won't wear out.

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »
Here is my IPA setup

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline spybo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 06:49:35 AM »
Hey Jon,
Thanks for the reply on the board.
I would like to order a pair of IPA's with the stereo mini-jack in/out and 3 way gain switch....can the minijacks be placed either end..one for-in the other-out ??...I don't mind a plastic end if that is what you will use...it makes for a neat "inline" small pre which is what I want.
In any case please reply and tell me how to describe this on your website when ordering....or PM me.
( am happy to have a very short stereo minijack>>minixlr cable made as a go-between if it is possible for the reason you mention.)
Thanks

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »
Jon doesn't use the PM system on the Board.  Better to e-mail him:

music@naiant.com

He is very responsive.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, pueblo pending
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, dr70d, zoom f8, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job!

Offline spybo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
Thanks!....will do

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
Looks very interesting.  Marking thread.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com