Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 115047 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
Soon they'll be blaming the weather on Brexit.

After Brexit the value of the pound sterling declined against other currencies. This means that all goods coming into the UK will now be more expensive. The price of portable recorders, none of which are made in the UK, will all go up. However, some dealers will still have stock purchased before the currency devaluation. Some dealers will sell them as before, while others might hike the price for extra profit. This is why prices will be different at different dealers. (Besides all the other factors.)

I wouldn't think I'd have to explain such basic matters here. Brexit does indeed negatively effect the UK economy and the price of good. Sorry, but it has nothing to do with the weather.

Sorry but your objections to Brexit don't apply in this case. The Brexit vote was on June 23, 2016. Its effect on the pound had already occurred by the time the Tascam DR-100MKIII was available for sale in the UK in October. UK retailers would have paid for their units in the already devalued currency.

So Brexit is not an explanation for the differences in UK prices of the Tascam DR-100MKIII. And in fact the average UK price is about £349.99. That translates to about $435.00 in US dollars and is very close to the US street price of $399.99. Nothing to complain about.

The jury is still out on Brexit. It's true that a devalued currency can increase the cost of imported goods, but it also helps exporters, making their products more competitive, and with their increased sales, it can actually work to stimulate the UK economy.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »
^ That doesn't appear to be the case thus far, and, in the longer term, probably assumes that the particulars of the exit allow unfettered access to the European market (which accounts for about 50% of UK exports).  And that's something I wouldn't bet on...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:19:09 AM by aaronji »

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »
Sorry but your objections to Brexit don't apply in this case.

You seem to be turning this into a political discussion that is out of place here. I have given no objections to Brexit but would be happy to elsewhere.

I have only stated facts about the currency changes, which can be substantiated by looking on any currency trader site. That the market reacted to the political turmoil before the actual vote is quite normal. The fact that Brexit was being taken seriously at all was enough to spook people who rely on the exchange of goods and services. Not very hard to understand.

The jury is still out on Brexit.

Not if you talk to a banker or economist it isn't. Random people in the street might be another thing.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2016, 01:36:43 PM »
I actually came back here not to talk politics or economics but simply to post a link to my article on the Tascam recorder, largely derived from my readings of the manual and not in any way from personal use.

Thanks to those on this board who have provided useful information.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »

You seem to be turning this into a political discussion that is out of place here. I have given no objections to Brexit but would be happy to elsewhere.

It was the other way around. You were the one that first brought Brexit into the discussion in reply to a member's observation on the price of the DR100mkiii. You said:

"Perhaps you can thank your Brexit for that." No one else had mentioned Brexit.

I did a little research and found that your statement was untrue.

And not all economists share your point of view:

http://www.economistsforbrexit.co.uk/

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
^ That doesn't appear to be the case thus far, and, in the longer term, probably assumes that the particulars of the exit allow unfettered access to the European market (which accounts for about 50% of UK exports).  And that's something I wouldn't bet on...

"Many economists prior to the referendum had been predicting an immediate and significant impact on the UK economy and consumer confidence should the country vote to leave the EU. But so far these predictions have not come to pass."--  http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36956418

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
What happened to meaningful dialog about this wonderful recorder?

Offline Kamen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
Aaaah, take iteasy, relax, format your media, recharge your batteries, make good tapes, people. 

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/relieved-britain-no-longer-biggest-fk-up-of-2016-20161109116771

To get back on topic, can anyone with hands-on experience with the Mk3 chime in about the built-in mics' performance wrt the external mics pres? The Transom review finds them built-ins a bit noisier, but I guess you really need to check for yourself. Any impressions?

Otherwise, the Mk3 is shaping up as great piece of kit. Almost a D100-killer. I wouldn't expect better mics and pres from it, but it seems to have all other features down pat -two pres per mic for the limiter circuit, similar noise floor, 192 kBs, plus XLRs with phantom. Now cut the price in half, make sure you don't mess up QC again, and you've got a winner.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adJqz3eZ-xM

---------

Moving on......

Further to the matter of the internal battery which is in fact removable, albeit not too easily, I contacted TASCAM for the specs of that battery and received this information:

Model: CP-1S1P-3950JM
Manufacturer: Welltech Energy Inc
3.6 Volts, 3950 mAh, 14.22 Whr
4.2VDC

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:43:30 AM by dogmusic »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »
I'm not finding much on that battery except for a korean manufacturer website.  Not sure we could get that battery anywhere but from Tascam practically speaking.  Any word from Tascam on the cost?

Depending on the size and connectors, maybe some other battery could be substituted?  I'm not a fan of proprietary internal batteries that may be hard to come by at a reasonable price in a few years.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
I'm not finding much on that battery except for a korean manufacturer website.  Not sure we could get that battery anywhere but from Tascam practically speaking.  Any word from Tascam on the cost?

Depending on the size and connectors, maybe some other battery could be substituted?  I'm not a fan of proprietary internal batteries that may be hard to come by at a reasonable price in a few years.

I agree completely, and I didn't have any more luck than you in tracking down that battery.

I emailed who I think was the manufacturer (or distributor) about where to buy it. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

I'll also email Tascam customer service again and ask if they will be selling it.

Offline chaperoni

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
I've seen a review mention that this can be powered by USB battery pack, but the manual only lists the official tascam AA powered external battery pack. Would this work with a regular rechargeable USB power pack as well? That would mitigate some issues with the internal battery in the future.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2016, 01:42:26 PM »
I've seen a review mention that this can be powered by USB battery pack, but the manual only lists the official tascam AA powered external battery pack. Would this work with a regular rechargeable USB power pack as well? That would mitigate some issues with the internal battery in the future.

Yes it does. I just this morning tested out my new DR100MKIII with an ebay USB battery pack and it worked fine. I plugged in the fully charged pack first, and then turned on the DR100MKIII. It immediately powered from the pack and ran for about 4 hours in playback while simultaneously recharging the internal battery. Later I'll test it in record mode.

This is the pack I was using (no affiliation):

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/20000mAh-Ultrathin-Portable-External-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-for-Phone-JL-/162230898178?var=&hash=item25c5b70e02:m:mmpwnYVZ_iw899ar2-oHZ6A

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
I have grave news for those who thought that there wasn't a ghost of a chance that they would buy the DR100MKIII and that the matter was dead and buried.

There can't be a better recommendation for any digital recorder than this review from the B&H product page:

" Love the DR-100MKIII
By Gavin

Hello, my name is Gavin Kelly. Host and Lead Investigator for Amazon's new original series called "The Paranormal Journey:Into the Unknown." We've been using the DR-100MKIII to capture audio from the Unseen. There are digital recorders other teams use to record voices of the dead. But we choose the DR-100MKIII. The On Board Mics are superb. It can record footsteps from the next floor up when no one is even in the building. We've captured substantial EVP's using this digital recorder. Upon evaluating the audio files, it's nice to have two files of the same recording. One is recorded just in case for our sake there is someone shouting or there was a loud noise during the recording which could cancel out the EVP. Thankfully with this technology we don't have to worry. We just place it and leave the building. Let the DR-100MKIII capture the voices of the un-dead for us. "

Take that you signal-to-noise fanatics! This thing records The Great Beyond!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »
calling Dr. Venkman...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com