Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Movo windscreens (outdoor)  (Read 10209 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Movo windscreens (outdoor)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »
Here we go, these are a little better. Just to add also, if these have been shedding fur, I haven't noticed. Hell, at this price point just get a fresh pair for the new taping season :headphones:

Great pics!  Nice location too!

Thanks. That's the sound company's small rig too. They run a bigger array for festies and such. And it's always free :headphones: Hard to pull a bad tape here......

http://usnwc.org/relax/festivals/

Better pic
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »
1) Quality of construction

The "fur" sheds very badly when new.  Less fur means less effective.  I've had mine for about a year and they still shed a little when handled.  The fur itself is shorter than other similar options.  Otherwise, construction is decent.  The rubber cap on the rear helps keep the screen firmly attached to the mic.

2) Effectiveness

More effective than DPA ua896 alone (without fur cover).  Less effective than Shure a81ws (alone or with fur cover) and DPA ua896 with fur cover.  For that reason, I'm back to using the Shure a81ws.  I wouldn't even think of using the Movo in any significant wind.

3) Comparison to competitors (DPA & Shure)

See above.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »
Ran 6cm Movos all 3 days at Red Rocks for Panic this summer with no wind noise issues!  This is with my Microtech Gefell M20 active setup.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
Well,  I just bought a pair of the 3cm black.  I ordered them 2 days ago and they arrived this afternoon.  Incredibly fast shipping.   :o 

Any hoot, the 3cm black fit my AKG 460's perfectly.  I run the ck22 omni caps outside, which are longer than most traditional omnis. 
6cm doesn't seem necessary for my needs.   I'll order a pair of 3cm horse-hair next and see if the fit is the same as the blacks.  Just read Craig's post above.  I ordered another pair of DPA UA0896's in order to compare these WST50's to.

Someone asked if they are permeable, it looks like they are.  See 2nd picture of the inside.  Honeycomb style.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:37:46 PM by spyder9 »

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 08:09:55 PM »
Well,  I just bought a pair of the 3cm black.  I ordered them 2 days ago and they arrived this afternoon.  Incredibly fast shipping.   :o 

Any hoot, the 3cm black fit my AKG 460's perfectly.  I run the ck22 omni caps outside, which are longer than most traditional omni caps. 
6cm doesn't seem necessary for my needs.   I'll order a pair of 3cm horse-hair next and see if the fit is the same as the blacks.

Someone asked if they are permeable, it looks like they are.  See 2nd picture of the inside.  Honeycomb style.

:coolguy:  Good choice.  You'll enjoy them.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
Dan, you must really have some windy conditions to notice it that bad with your omnis

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:04 PM »
VERY interested in the WSTT50s for my CM3s.  All my outdoor recording is in football stadiums in Sept / Oct / Nov, and this year we had some especially windy days where my current wind protection wasn't enough.  I'm wondering if the furry "WS" version might be better for strong gusts, but I like the lower visual profile and black color of the WSTT - anyone try both and could comment?

I also just noticed that Movo sells a third version of these Softie / Super Softie clones I haven't seen before: the WS-G.  These seem to only be in Movo's Amazon store, but not their eBay store.  They also look most similar to the Rode WS8 I'm using now.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:10 PM »
Dan, you must really have some windy conditions to notice it that bad with your omnis

Mike, I live close to the Atlantic Ocean.  I have Derek & Susan's Sunshine Music Festival in a couple of weeks in Boca Raton. 
It's at an outdoor amphitheater where the winds swirls around....

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 11:42:17 PM »

Mike, I live close to the Atlantic Ocean.  I have Derek & Susan's Sunshine Music Festival in a couple of weeks in Boca Raton. 
It's at an outdoor amphitheater where the winds swirls around....

In a coupla weeks I'll probably be shoveling snow... have fun  :D

Offline graywolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »
I also just noticed that Movo sells a third version of these Softie / Super Softie clones I haven't seen before: the WS-G.  These seem to only be in Movo's Amazon store, but not their eBay store.  They also look most similar to the Rode WS8 I'm using now.

While I have not used those WS-G, I understand that they have a dual length fur, that is supposed to be more effective in breaking up wind noise. I do have a WS on my camcorder mic, a super sensitive AT4073A, that works well.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:11 PM »

While I have not used those WS-G, I understand that they have a dual length fur, that is supposed to be more effective in breaking up wind noise. I do have a WS on my camcorder mic, a super sensitive AT4073A, that works well.

Thanks for that detail.  Hopefully there isn't too much of a tradeoff with reduced highs.  Currently I'm on the fence between the WSTT and WS-G.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »

I have used the WST50 (3cm black no fur version) on my AKG cardioid actives and haven't had a problem with pretty gusty wind conditions when using them outdoors this summer.

No appreciable attenuation of high frequencies and no change in sound from the large plastic rear back plate (which was a concern when I first got them).
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voltronic

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 09:53:19 PM »

I have used the WST50 (3cm black no fur version) on my AKG cardioid actives and haven't had a problem with pretty gusty wind conditions when using them outdoors this summer.

No appreciable attenuation of high frequencies and no change in sound from the large plastic rear back plate (which was a concern when I first got them).

I think you may have just sold me on them.  I like the way they look better anyway (more low-profile), and they're much cheaper than the WS-G.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline cjc1103

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • So much music, so little time!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
@lsd2525 - Can I ask why you have two different cardoid mic pairs positioned with the caps about 6 inches apart? Are doing some A/B comparisons? There are some good reasons to throw up multiple mic pairs, spaced omnis with a center X/Y pair come to mind (ask gutbucket), but if you are mixing cardoid mics together in this configuration, you will most likely end up smearing the sound, although they may be close enough that it doesn't matter much. How did your recording sound? (I'm assuming the A51s and the AT4041s are both your mics, since they are listed in your sig, and they aren't two separate rigs.)
Chris
Chattanooga, TN

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
@lsd2525 - Can I ask why you have two different cardoid mic pairs positioned with the caps about 6 inches apart? Are doing some A/B comparisons? There are some good reasons to throw up multiple mic pairs, spaced omnis with a center X/Y pair come to mind (ask gutbucket), but if you are mixing cardoid mics together in this configuration, you will most likely end up smearing the sound, although they may be close enough that it doesn't matter much. How did your recording sound? (I'm assuming the A51s and the AT4041s are both your mics, since they are listed in your sig, and they aren't two separate rigs.)

Yeah, those are both mine. I wasn't (and haven't) going to mix them. Since I've been running the DR70, I usually run these two sets of mics and take a SBD feed to my M10. The 4041's (should be) a more or less ORTF config. I just run the 51's that wide, frankly, because I really don't know what else to do. The are aimed to the outsides of the stacks.

Sometimes the AT4041's come out on top, sometimes the 51's. Although the 51's usually win out because of the bass response
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com