Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05 vs. Tascam DR-22WL  (Read 11034 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tascam DR-05 vs. Tascam DR-22WL
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
Hey, I'm in a market for a new recorder, and I was pretty set on the DR-05 til now, but recently, the 22WL got a price cut to about $140 vs DR-05 at $90. So I wanted to ask which one would you go for? My regular setup is CSB > Batt box > recorder, but I would also like to have the option to stealth tape with just the recorder for venues that are kind of uptight. Secondary use will be for some field recordings, but those don't need to be crystal clear, as they will be post-processed thru a lot of filters. Do you think the 22WL's mic is drastically better to justify the occasional use for the extra $50, or is it more of a diminishing returns situation, especially for a person who doesn't yet know most venues' sweet spots? I'm honestly only interested in the mic and the basic recorder functions, don't really care about the WiFi support and other extra features.

I've listened to some tapes made by the internal mics of both, and they do seem similar, accounting for the venue sound variabilities. But I'm sure there are people here with more knowledge than me. :)

Thanks.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Tascam DR-05 vs. Tascam DR-22WL
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
I have the Tascam DR22WL, and I am still on the fence about its value. I will confess that I almost always forget I have it, and use a different configuration, but I still hold out hope that it has a place of value, and as you mention I think that place is using it as a remote deck with the internal mics. I do think those internal mics do as good a job as any I have heard (and I have a lot of decks...  ::)), and the advantage is all about placement, sliding that deck into a sweet spot somewhere and controlling it form my phone. The few times I have done that, the result has been pretty good too, and worth the effort. (Location, location, location)

But I still am really unsure about the value, especially if dollars are tight. Used like the DR-05, I am sure it is every bit as good. Used are a remote deck, yes you have the potentially big advantage of finding the sweet spot or a sweet spot (because there will always be great differences of opinion as to what the or a sweet spot is), and I guess my biggest concern is that the deck's Wi-Fi to me is still quite unreliable.

I have the latest firmware and I have the latest app, and I have an android Samsung GalaxyS7 phone running nougat software. That just changed so maybe it helps, but in running the software with marshmallow, the app always froze, every time I used it. The good news is I always had ample time to start recording and tweak levels, but at some point the controls become locked and my Wi-Fi connection while still complete, unusable. The deck always continues to record, so no real harm, but if It is a multi set or multi group show, I'd be unable to make any changes without getting the deck and rebooting. This is very disappointing and perhaps the apple app is better, but at this point for me the Wi-Fi is just a gimmick, and one with potential, but not one I would feel comfortable relying on. If you have a Wi-Fi deack, it'd be nice if the Wi-Fi were rock solid in linking to and staying linked to the app.

So this may or may not help you decide, but this is my impression and experience. Hopefully other purchasers of the deck will chime in. I should mention I paid $110.00 for mine quite a while ago and often see it for even less than that, so you may want to hunt around. I seem to recall you could find it for $140. when it was first released, and it has steadily dropped in price.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »
I have the 05 and the 22wl.   Unless you really have a need for the wireless control of the 22wl and are willing to pay more for that feature, I'd go with the 05 which is a pretty nice unit with good battery life.   

From time to time, they put both of these on sale.  I have seen the 05 for $79 and the 22wl for $99 at Adorama from time to time best I can recall.   

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
I just bought a DR-05 off Amazon for $50 to use as a recorder behind an IPA or preamp. I have read the following about this recorder:

1. I should remove the plug in power from the mini-jack in the settings
2. set the digital gain to zero/flat
3. try not to run levels higher than -12db on the Tascam meter for fear of overload the input

Are there any additional settings or advice I should keep in mind when going Line In via the mini-jack? Thanks for your feedback.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com