Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 107017 times)

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but the Mixpre-6 only shows a two channel display. How do you monitor the other two channels if you're all four inputs?

Or is that something you would have to do on your phone through the bluetooth?

jnorman34

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
I have a 702 which I love.  I would like to hear how the new mp6 compares.  Do the new Machines have the same solid build quality?  What features does my 702 have that are not included in the new recorders?   Is there any reason why a 702 might make a better recording than the new units?  Why are the new units so inexpensive compared to what I paid for my 702?  Thanks.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-6

Maybe I missed something, but the Mixpre-6 only shows a two channel display. How do you monitor the other two channels if you're all four inputs?

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:24 PM »
would really like all of this but with 8 xlr/trs inputs. 

tempted for the mixpre6 but don't want to jump the gun if they have an 8 coming...

Same here, but if that's coming at all, I bet it will be a full-on replacement for the 788 and priced accordingly.

Honestly when I saw the $250 price difference between the MixPre-3 and the -6, I figured the -6 must have 6 combo inputs / pres.  I was very disappointed when I saw it only has ONE more, and the only other added functionality seems to be enabling options in software, unless the 3 and the 6 really do use different chips and typologies.  In other words, are these recorders sort of like the AETA 4Minx in the sense that the different versions have the same core hardware and software, and you pay more for the added hardware pieces and to enable the software to use them?  Maybe Paul can shed some light on this.

With the MixPre-6 at $899, I feel like it has to be compared directly to the Zoom F8 which is only $100 more.  The Zoom is a better value from a features standpoint (8 preamps, more recording channels, dual-media recording, full TC function) but the MixPre-6 wins on design, powering, and (probably) overall quality, certainly in pedigree and in customer service.  The analog limiters are also a huge if your work needs limiters.  Which way will customers in this price range go?  Even if SD wins handily in absolute sound quality (and we'll have to wait for the tests on that), is the target customer of the MixPre series (podcasters and DSLR filmmakers) going to even notice or appreciate that quality difference?  I feel if SD could have squeezed in two more combo jacks and preamps, it would be much more attractive, even if they had to raise the price to $1000.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:18:09 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2017, 02:56:18 AM »
I have a 702 which I love.  I would like to hear how the new mp6 compares.  Do the new Machines have the same solid build quality?  What features does my 702 have that are not included in the new recorders?   Is there any reason why a 702 might make a better recording than the new units?  Why are the new units so inexpensive compared to what I paid for my 702?  Thanks.

Look at a photo of your 702 & the new mix-pre machines side by side and I think that you will have your answer.  The new Mix-pre's are a "cheaper SD unit" to compete with the sub $1,000.00 Zooms...  They are NOT in the same league as the SD 700 series recorders in my opinion...  You get what you pay for in most cases.

I really would like to see a 744 replacement from SD with 4 mic pre's... that is not part of the budget series. 

Paul can you please prevent me from spending money on an outdated SD recorder if there are new, SD recorders on the horizon, to update the 722 - 744 - 788 machines?

thank you,

David
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:02:52 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2017, 03:02:02 AM »
would really like all of this but with 8 xlr/trs inputs. 

tempted for the mixpre6 but don't want to jump the gun if they have an 8 coming...

Honestly when I saw the $250 price difference between the MixPre-3 and the -6, I figured the -6 must have 6 combo inputs / pres.  I was very disappointed when I saw it only has ONE more, and the only other added functionality seems to be enabling options in software, unless the 3 and the 6 really do use different chips and typologies.  In other words, are these recorders sort of like the AETA 4Minx in the sense that the different versions have the same core hardware and software, and you pay more for the added hardware pieces and to enable the software to use them? Maybe Paul can shed some light on this.

^
These recorders are nothing like the AETA 4MinX in terms of hardware...  And I know that is not what you are referring to.  The AETA pricing scheme, meh...   :shrug:  Works for me, that is why I purchased that machine.  4 world class AETA pre's with a recorder / mixer with a multitude of features for less than the price of a new SD744.  And I love the SD line of audio gear.  I've had a SD722 for 10+ years, never getting rid of it.  Rock solid, world class gear.  I have a SD788-SSD, again rock solid, world class audio gear made next door in Wisconsin.   ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I liked the AETA pricing scheme that allowed me to purchase 8 channels, 4 independent, 48V phantom AETA pre's for less than the cost of a new SD744T.  Variety is the spice of life!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:15:53 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
What's the best way to input into a Canon 5D MarkIV to record on the camera's card with audio?
i don't think you can unless you used the headphones out
That's the huge plus of the ta scam 60d, it has a dedicated camera out that you can adjust too

There is a dedicated stereo out on the left side.
you can almost guarantee that it's not adjustable though and so it will overload most cameras/camcorders.
Depends on the quality input or if you had an attenuater. I have had good results using one but it's so much easier with an adjustable out
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »
i may pull on a mixpre 3 . a already have a 744t and a few really good preamps for different situations . i really like my audioroot upre mk11>744 aes in . These new decks are not in the same ballpark. no aes or spdif like the 744 . i have the same routing as these new decks . the mixpre 3 looks small enough for  those times when i want to go small rig or stealth. i have a tintbox and m10 already but this may be a good piece to add to the arsenal.but i'll probably hold off until i here some reviews ( battery life & the new pre's etc etc.)
i wish sd would have updated the 744 ( touch screen and usb3 or thunder bolt.and Maybe with the new pres . if they are that good.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

Touching the meter area switches between stereo meter view and multi-channels views. There are 3 different views.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »

Wow lots of questions! Sorry haven't got to this sooner, but at NAB in Las Vegas!
There is no compromise on build quality. Chassis is die cast aluminum - very solid.
The Kashmir mic preamps are a totally new design and comparable in quality to 7-series. We do plan on getting some demo files online soon so you can listen.
There are many reasons why there is a cost difference between the 702 and MixPre: the 702 is over 10-year old technology. Progress in component performance and DSP/FPGA, efficiencies in manufacturing and design, different code architecture, use of different materials and components, different I/O, different feature sets and more.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2017, 12:51:04 PM »
The MixPre-6 with its 4x XLR/TRS mic/line inputs and 2 additional unbalanced aux inputs on 1/8" make this a 6 input device. You can record those six inputs as ISOs, hence the '6' in MixPre-6. You can record the mix of those for a total of 8 track 192 kHz / 24-bit recording.
This would make a great alternative to the 744 for those wanting 4 high quality mic preamps.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »

What's the best way to input into a Canon 5D MarkIV to record on the camera's card with audio?

There is a dedicated stereo out on the left side.
you can almost guarantee that it's not adjustable though and so it will overload most cameras/camcorders.

You can adjust the level of the stereo output so you can prevent overload of cameras. We've included this specifically to make it compatible with a wide range of cameras, DSLRs, and other down stream devices.

Offline raoulduke

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Got Gefell?
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
Paul, is there a front panel lock option on the MixPre-3/6, similar to the 'backlight key/tone key' menu on the 7xx series?

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »
looks like you can link channels 1&2 for mid side recording on the mixpre 3 . probably can as well for the 6

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-6

:facepalm: Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com