Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems with church audio mics  (Read 5718 times)

Offline one8ung

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Problems with church audio mics
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »
Mics: DPA 4061

Power: CA-UBB - SP-SPSB-10 (9V)

Recorders: Tascam DR-2d (4x)

Offline Lostbrook

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »
I had similar, intermittent problems with my CA11's and my CA14's.  Never solved it so I just stopped using them.  Got a lot of use out of them before they started to act up so no complaints. 

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
SPL exceeded?

MAR 2020

No, I mean sound pressure level. If the max SPL of the mics is 125dB, and you're in front of a speaker pushing 135dB, you're going to get some distortion
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline one8ung

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
SPL exceeded?

MAR 2020

No, I mean sound pressure level. If the max SPL of the mics is 125dB, and you're in front of a speaker pushing 135dB, you're going to get some distortion

It could be... i was 3 meters from the speaker and you could feel the air movement.

I will try to record Depeche Mode sunday in Amsterdam.
See what's going to happen with a fresh battery and a seat ticket.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »
wal, he said he replaced the battery at each show, so that would be doubtful unless it was a bad brand or somehow defective?

I had it happen with a new battery in a CA-UGLY (preamp) way, way back when.  The battery was new and measured fine outside the device using a Voltmeter. It took me a while to figure out what was going on.  I then realized that it actually measured way under-voltage when measured while under load, even though it measured fine by itself.  Just a bad new battery.  Ever since then I've been careful to measure them under-load.  I've mentioned this about 3 other times in TS threads since when this type of problem has occurred where it turned out to be the same issue.

So not saying that's definitely the problem here, only that it's an easy first check and a good procedure to implement for all important battery checks anyway.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
To fully rule out the battery, recheck it's voltage after the show, while it's still powering the mics.  If it measures good then prior to being disconnected, then the problem is elsewhere.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline one8ung

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 11:09:46 PM »
Okay i recorded Depeche Mode last night in Amsterdam without distorting... https://clyp.it/sehubivf

At the description on the church audio site stated "for tough acoustical challenges when you are farther away from the sound source and more susceptible to room reverberation."

So maybe i was too close to the speaker at the Golden Earring show for the CA-11 microphones... or it was a bad battery but certainly not the mics!

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 02:22:28 AM »
So maybe i was too close to the speaker

Most likely this. I have no personal experience of Church Audio but loud and bass heavy shows puts a lot of preassure on the microphones. I had the same problem with a couple of Sound Professionals I used a few years ago.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Good to hear your latest recording worked out for you.

Okay i recorded Depeche Mode last night in Amsterdam without distorting... https://clyp.it/sehubivf

At the description on the church audio site stated "for tough acoustical challenges when you are farther away from the sound source and more susceptible to room reverberation."

So maybe i was too close to the speaker at the Golden Earring show for the CA-11 microphones... or it was a bad battery but certainly not the mics!

You might have been close enough to overload the mics at Golden Earring.  However just to be clear, that description on the Church Audio site- "for tough acoustical challenges when you are farther away from the sound source and more susceptible to room reverberation." is referring to the cardioid versus omnidirectional pickup pattern.  It's is not a comment on the microphones overload susceptibility to high SPLs, but applies to all SPL levels at which the mic is suitable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com