Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "skipping" in recording with marantz pmd-671?  (Read 3005 times)

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
"skipping" in recording with marantz pmd-671?
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Ive searched a bit and didn't really see anyone with this issue in the old pmd-671 threads. Randomly over the last couple weeks I've noticed very infrequently a few "skips" in my recordings. Then last night while listening to a recording after a show, half way through the second set I got this loud almost exactly like a CD skipping noise, continuously. The strange thing is that I recorded another set of a different show after and that set was fine. When I tried loading it into my computer I got an unreadable error. First time that's happened. I have a feeling it's the card. Ive been using a 32 gig SanDisk ultra, which has been flawless for a year till a couple weeks ago. Ive been formatting it with the marantz and it's been working top notch. Im not the most experienced cf card user so my guess is the card but any tips would be appreciated. Is the card junk, should I scrap it? Is it a fluke and reformatting it again would be the solution. Could it be power related? Thanks for any advice.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: "skipping" in recording with marantz pmd-671?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:23:53 AM »
Based on your description, my fist suspicion would be the CF card.

Try using an "approved" card recommended by Marantz. Then, see if you can duplicate the problem.

Good luck in solving your issue :)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:21:58 PM »
I used a 671 for about 5 years and never had this issue

I was always using legit sandisk cards and bought new ones to use every 6 months or so and ended up uaing the new ones til i bought a newer one

What are you using for power? I almost exclusively used internal aa's of meager quality and fairly decent capacity. I carried two sets and swapped them at setbreak always

jcable77

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:04:34 AM »
I use the biggest of the talent cells. It powers the mini- me 12v out and the pmd-671 9v out. I don't think it's a power issue but it could have been? Honestly I have a few of them and even recording for 3 or more hours the things don't get past the first led. Maybe a loose connection? Im gonna grab a couple 16 gig lexars from the photo shop (marantz suggested cards)and see if there's any issues. I have been using that 32 gig sandisk alot and it's worked great. Just lost half a second set sunday and it was a good one. Wanna nip this in the bud before it happens again. Is there a certain point when re-formatting and recording 24/96 would deteriorate the card? I'm due if you say you change up every 6 months. I have a couple 2 gig cards but running 24/96 I feel like they're useless. I love the 671. Thing is a gem. Just hoping it's a card issue that can be easily remedied. Thanks for responding guys. I appreciate the input.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
I personally never ran 24/96 with mine. Always 24/48. The only reason i cycled so many fresh cf cards through was purely being lazy. I would drive to the next show before transferring the last, and just stop and grab a new one on the way.

I am doubting that its a power issue, having ran so many years on the same sets of walmart rechargeables myself

My money is on the card

Doug is doing an acm mod on a 671 for me right now, im excited. Always loved that box as an all in one, and ran it like that for more shows than any other single rig.

jcable77

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
Nice, I saw you were looking for another one. Glad you found one and it's getting hooked up for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on these new cards. I knew I was stretching it with the 32 gig, but it's worked fine till this weekend. Haven't run the pres on this one yet, more of just a bucket, but I have feeling even stock is decent. Good luck with your new acm. Btw if your looking for a new bag for you 671 the dimensions on this are pretty
nice. I can fit mine with a mini- me and sd302 with room to spare. It's tight but super portable and efficient.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=asc_df_B00CF5OHZ24967316/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00CF5OHZ2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167143377764&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10824157101165513487&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002281&hvtargid=pla-124784955195#

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Im not sure il be using it a whole hell of a lot, maybe more second stage festy stuff

I snagged a 788 the other day for a couldnt pass up price!

I never used bigger than an 8gb card in mine fwiw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com