Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the MixPre-3 of the Microphone world?  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
What is the MixPre-3 of the Microphone world?
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:00:35 PM »
My question is, what is the microphone that has shaken up the market recently? Any mics that have made folks who have run the same rig for years jump ship?

It seems like the MixPre-3 is going to (especially considering the price point) shake up the Yard Sale for some time (in terms of preamps and recorders)

I need to finally pop on my first set of "better" mics (I have run some Franken-Naks for years).

Let's just say that a guy was going to buy a MixPre-3 (released sometime this month), and he had $500 (ish) budget to try and get some better mics....are there any that stand out from the crowd?
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What is the MixPre-3 of the Microphone world?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »
If you are looking to get new mics, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your $500 than a pair of Rode NT5 condensers.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:38:36 PM »
U Need to go on the LMA and listen to as many shows as u can at diff venues using diff mic's and see what YOU like.  People can point u in the right direction, but everyone has diff tastes.  I find the search for what I what then the hunt to buy what I must have the best part of a hobbie.  Get online and listen and read up on all available too ya out there, and have fun with it.  Ed

But round your price range.  Mbho's 440 set new.  Akg 460 set used.  Both known and HQ,  and keep there value on the resale end.  Always need to keep resale in mind.  Tapers come and go just as fast or the upgrade bug gets ya, just my .02
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:41:33 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:27:54 PM »
Don't.

Just save up now, bit by bit, for the more expensive microphones you'll eventually want.

The good news is that the nbob/naiant products mean that you can get into a high end Schoeps, AKG, Gefell, etc **active** rig, for far less than the OEM gear.

In the meantime, download shows, and continue to run your naks, which sound just fine.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
Don't.

Just save up now, bit by bit, for the more expensive microphones you'll eventually want.

The good news is that the nbob/naiant products mean that you can get into a high end Schoeps, AKG, Gefell, etc **active** rig, for far less than the OEM gear.

In the meantime, download shows, and continue to run your naks, which sound just fine.

Great advice right there!

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:14:46 AM »
U Need to go on the LMA and listen to as many shows as u can at diff venues using diff mic's and see what YOU like.  People can point u in the right direction, but everyone has diff tastes.  I find the search for what I what then the hunt to buy what I must have the best part of a hobbie.  Get online and listen and read up on all available too ya out there, and have fun with it.  Ed

But round your price range.  Mbho's 440 set new.  Akg 460 set used.  Both known and HQ,  and keep there value on the resale end.  Always need to keep resale in mind.  Tapers come and go just as fast or the upgrade bug gets ya, just my .02

Yes, well, I've done this before. I know I like several super nice brands...I guess I was trying to find the best bang for the buck mic.....obviously you think that "bang" occurs north of $500....which I can understand. Thanks for the advice.

Another complication of using LMA is the mixpre-3 is an unknown (soon to be released) and there won't be anything out there (probably) that is using the mics I like with the SD unit with its new Kashmir circuts.

I don't want to waste money on inferior mics, I just want to find that mic that makes me feel "ok" with not having the really nice stuff.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:16:50 AM by Mr.Fantasy »
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 01:36:43 AM »
What kind of mod are your naks? Hit me up if youd like to get rid of them to help with upgrade. I love mine. With nice pre's and conversion im overwhelmed with how much I enjoy my recordings. If your planning on getting the mix-pre3 maybe wait until you have that until you upgrade. My naks into the 302 sound pretty darn good IMHO.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 02:02:30 AM »
What kind of mod are your naks? Hit me up if youd like to get rid of them to help with upgrade. I love mine. With nice pre's and conversion im overwhelmed with how much I enjoy my recordings. If your planning on getting the mix-pre3 maybe wait until you have that until you upgrade. My naks into the 302 sound pretty darn good IMHO.3

I'm planning on giving that a go...good to hear of another Nak man out there!!

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 02:10:47 AM »
Last night I ran a friends akg 480s ck61s through my sd 302>mini-me and the week before ran the same thing at the same place for the same band with the naks in front. I don't love either recording any less. I thought it would be night and day, but man Im really happy with my mics. I keep feeling like I need to upgrade but in all reality I think I just need the cp-3's and 4's. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 02:59:42 AM »
Last night I ran a friends akg 480s ck61s through my sd 302>mini-me and the week before ran the same thing at the same place for the same band with the naks in front. I don't love either recording any less. I thought it would be night and day, but man Im really happy with my mics. I keep feeling like I need to upgrade but in all reality I think I just need the cp-3's and 4's. Good luck with whatever you decide.

So mine are Franken Naks...done by someone named LeggEddy or something like that I believe. They were modified when I bought them so I don't know the specifics. In fact I am thinking of sending them to the gentleman who does service and p48 modifications...name escapes me at the moment but there is an active thread that has his info. I want him to take a look "under the hood" and maybe modify some other Naks that my dad has.

But I digress...

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »

Yes, well, I've done this before. I know I like several super nice brands...I guess I was trying to find the best bang for the buck mic.....obviously you think that "bang" occurs north of $500....which I can understand. Thanks for the advice.

Another complication of using LMA is the mixpre-3 is an unknown (soon to be released) and there won't be anything out there (probably) that is using the mics I like with the SD unit with its new Kashmir circuts.

I don't want to waste money on inferior mics, I just want to find that mic that makes me feel "ok" with not having the really nice stuff.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ u really need to just feel better than "OK" with gear u have and the recordings u make. It u don't walk out of a show feeling u have the best recording out there and can't wait to hear it threw your home stereo,  y record??????  In 1999 that happened to me. Before that I was a busy beaver recording just about everything I could and was making " good " recordings.  Deff worth listening too and trading,  but one of my friends I was trading with kept giving me shows with a certain set of mic's with a certain pre amp that kept blowing me away and my recordings away.  I had to make the decision ,  keep making ok recordings or buy what I need to make recordings that blow " ME ". Away.   They key word is ME.  I doesn't matter what mic, pre , recorder combo u use as long as YOU dig it when u get home
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:22:51 AM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 08:08:24 AM »

So mine are Franken Naks...done by someone named LeggEddy or something like that I believe. They were modified when I bought them so I don't know the specifics. In fact I am thinking of sending them to the gentleman who does service and p48 modifications...name escapes me at the moment but there is an active thread that has his info. I want him to take a look "under the hood" and maybe modify some other Naks that my dad has.

But I digress...

"LeggEddy"

I think you mean LeeGeddy... A former regular on here that stole gear from a bunch of us here after gaining our trust then vanishing all of a sudden never to be heard from again.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »
"LeggEddy"

I think you mean LeeGeddy... A former regular on here that stole gear from a bunch of us here after gaining our trust then vanishing all of a sudden never to be heard from again.

Snap! That is crazy!

I bought them from another member in 2009.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
"LeggEddy"

Snap! That is crazy!

I bought them from another member in 2009.

His name is Marc Kim. If your naks are the same ones he lent me when my DPAs were in the shop in 2005, then the source info I used for them was "Nakamichi CM-300 + CP-1 (LG active mod)".

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com