Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Common "Workflows" Post-Recording- Specifically file management  (Read 8786 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Common "Workflows" Post-Recording- Specifically file management
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
In what way do your Dad & Brother have problems with the file sizes?

Well, I have a paid Dropbox account, so I have lot's of space. I put the tracks into a folder on my dropbox and shared it with them. When I was at my folks house last night, he was having trouble because his dropbox (free account) didn't have enough room to download the files to. I really am not trying to get this stuff into his dropbox, but onto his computer. So I was thinking, either I transfer the files to him a different way, or a reduce their size.

And yeah, I do FLACs myself, but these guys aren't hip to all of that. They need more consumer-level files. I was thinking of going all the way to mp3s...but it just kills me to do that.

Why? If the listeners don't care, why should you?

You recorded Dead & Co from a PA system with a max dynamic range of maybe 20-12,000Hz from like 100-200 ft away. It's always good to store stuff for yourself in hi-res format, but it won't make any appreciable difference in listening, certainly not to most people. A V0 MP3 or 320 MP3 will be just about indistinguishable from those WAV files and much easier for your listeners to handle, and presumably you're making the stuff available for them to enjoy...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Thanks for even more replies! I do appreciate it!

How about file naming philosophy? How do you name your stuff?
kindms and I are constantly discussing this.
I like:
artistyyyy-mm-ddmicinfo.bitratedxtxx          so a typical one would be: erevival2016-07-16ck22ck61.24d1t01   
kindms prefers to put the bitrate at the end of the string with no period separators as he feels Windows handles the period separators oddly:
erevival2016-07-16ck22ck61d1t0124              ( I may be wrong, hopefully he can chime in to affirm or correct this)       
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
kindms prefers to put the bitrate at the end of the string with no period separators as he feels Windows handles the period separators oddly:
erevival2016-07-16ck22ck61d1t0124              ( I may be wrong, hopefully he can chime in to affirm or correct this)       

In Windows particularly but proper file naming convention in general what follows a "." should be the file type extension (wav or mp3 or jpg or txt, etc.).  More modern editions of Windows probably won't be thrown by a bunch of "."'s in the middle of a file but I don't like it.  That's why I said I use a "-" rather than a "." in my thoughts above. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »
More modern editions of Windows probably won't be thrown by a bunch of "."'s in the middle of a file but I don't like it.  That's why I said I use a "-" rather than a "." in my thoughts above.

I don't like it either. I definitely prefer the "-" hyphen character over a "." period or dot as a separator. The Underscore "_" and "~" tilde characters are also useful if you need to separate words or sections within a filename sequence.

Also note that some file systems, especially Linux/Unix-based ones (like the ones that power archive.org) ARE cASE sENSITIVE!  :-X

Be cautious that your file naming is all consistent, and if you make changes, be sure that the case of your extensions is ALSO consistent! foo-bar.FLAC is NOT the same file as foo-bar.flac on SOME systems, though it may be on yours!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
Thanks for all the responses....those are great suggestions.

Thank you all!
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
After Mastering,

Split and Name Tracks in Goldwave
Then Convert to Flac in Media Monkey.  Media Monkey has a cool "mask" feature where it will automatically name and then transfer to a folder of your choice in whatever format you want.  Mine look like this:  Artist/Show/Artist - xx (track number) song title, so under the folder "Live Concerts" will be Clapton, Eric, within that folder is Eric Clapton 2017 05-19 Royal Albert Hall London UK.  Within that folder are the tracks Eric Clapton - 01 Layla.flac

Sharing is easy, burn to CD or convert to mp3 using Media Monkey

I have 10TB of music, stored in a Raid 1 Format (LSI Raid Card) backed up to JBOD with Raid 0
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »
As far as file naming is concerned, Windows is tolerant of more than one "." in a file name, so these "rules" mentioned earlier are really personal preference at this point. 

An important thing to be aware of when/if you split the tracks: it's a good idea to split at the sector boundaries.  If you're not familiar with this concept, it pretty much boils down to this: the smallest time segment that can be stored on a CD is 1/75th of a second, and the boundaries between these segments are called "sector boundaries."  If your track split does not fall on one of these sector boundaries, you will hear an unpleasant artifact (a pop or click) as the CD player transitions between tracks.

I use free software called CD Wave Editor for my track splits.

Hope this helps.
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »

I use free software called CD Wave Editor ....

I feel obligated to correct this statement.  CD Wave is shareware, and is not free.  If you have not paid Mike the $15 to register it you really should.  If you use it as often as most of us do it is a pittance for the value that we get out of his work.  /public service message
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »

I use free software called CD Wave Editor ....

I feel obligated to correct this statement.  CD Wave is shareware, and is not free.  If you have not paid Mike the $15 to register it you really should.  If you use it as often as most of us do it is a pittance for the value that we get out of his work.  /public service message

Thank you rigpimp.  I believe I did pay for this software, since as you said $15 is quite reasonable.  It has been a while... thank you for keeping me honest!
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »
An important thing to be aware of when/if you split the tracks: it's a good idea to split at the sector boundaries.  If you're not familiar with this concept, it pretty much boils down to this: the smallest time segment that can be stored on a CD is 1/75th of a second, and the boundaries between these segments are called "sector boundaries."  If your track split does not fall on one of these sector boundaries, you will hear an unpleasant artifact (a pop or click) as the CD player transitions between tracks.
Note that these boundaries are only meaningful on 44.1 kHz recordings. 48kHz is not used for direct CD burning, so split points will not be able to be correlated with CD sector boundaries.

Audacity can snap to nearest sector boundaries too, and it's open-source freeware.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com