Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Common "Workflows" Post-Recording- Specifically file management  (Read 8787 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Hey there!

I have recording stacking up and I am trying to share all this stuff (.wav files) with my dad and brother.

Just recorded Dead & Co. at Folsom Field, and I took my masters, did some normalization, split tracks, and dithered to 16/44.1 in Audition...then exported. But my .wav files are pretty large...so my dad and brother were having issues with them. So I feel like I might need to compress these files a bit for them. Don't really want to loose much quality, but would like to get smaller files.

I have the concern above, and then I was wondering what most people do with their recordings? As in, do you end up burning to CD? Do you just keep FLACS? How about sharing with friends & family?
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Common "Workflows" Post-Recording- Specifically file management
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:00:19 AM »
In what way do your Dad & Brother have problems with the file sizes?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
You could certainly compress to flac for sharing.  I'm keeping my raw original master files (wav), and the "final product" in flac.  I don't burn to CDs for myself, but I do have redundant hard drives for backup.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »

Well, I have a paid Dropbox account, so I have lot's of space. I put the tracks into a folder on my dropbox and shared it with them. When I was at my folks house last night, he was having trouble because his dropbox (free account) didn't have enough room to download the files to. I really am not trying to get this stuff into his dropbox, but onto his computer. So I was thinking, either I transfer the files to him a different way, or a reduce their size.

And yeah, I do FLACs myself, but these guys aren't hip to all of that. They need more consumer-level files. I was thinking of going all the way to mp3s...but it just kills me to do that.

I guess I have never really settled into a set "process" so I have been slow in processing recordings, etc. I want to get a system going where I do x, y, z (or however many steps) and I do that every time so my stuff is consistent.

Like naming for instance....I have no set naming philosophy. I see some file names on LMA and it takes a decoder ring to figure them out.
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »
I save the raw files (usually 24/48) and the edited file(s) (after EQ, normalization, fades, etc.).  Then, I resample and dither to 16/44.1, track and flac.  I throwaway the resampled/dithered file and the tracked wav files.  I also save the CDWave track file and flac fingerprints.  So, in the end, I have the raw and edited files and tracked flacs. 

To transfer, try putting the wav files in a folder and zip it, then transfer via WeTransfer.  Break it into two folders if necessary.  This is free and easy.  Also, you can install a flac converter in Foobar which is simple to use.  Transferring flacs is much easier...

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »

And yeah, I do FLACs myself, but these guys aren't hip to all of that. They need more consumer-level files. I was thinking of going all the way to mp3s...but it just kills me to do that.

no, no and no.  I use wetransfer, but hightail also works.  Just zip the folder and send as one link.  Again, do not go the mp3 route.  Stick to 16 441 wav files.  Its not too hard.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

FWIW, there are a few 'hybrid' audio  formats like wavpack with which you can create small (lossy), high-quality audio files and a delta 'correction' file that allows you to restore the original input file. No idea hough, if there's any decent hardware support for wavpack.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!

I will take the zip and transfer route.

Also, I am going to educate the group on FLAC....as that is a better solution long-term.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
Well, I have a paid Dropbox account, so I have lot's of space. I put the tracks into a folder on my dropbox and shared it with them. When I was at my folks house last night, he was having trouble because his dropbox (free account) didn't have enough room to download the files to. I really am not trying to get this stuff into his dropbox, but onto his computer.

Dropbox gives the ability to download to your computer. The function might be hidden a bit, so try sharing the direct link with them instead of adding them to the folder, then they can just click on Direct Download.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Several things:

This first:

I'm keeping my raw original master files (wav), and the "final product" in flac.  I don't burn to CDs for myself, but I do have redundant hard drives for backup.

Second:  If they're having trouble with Dropbox they may have trouble with flacs (and with burning files)...  If they have a player that plays flac and will be playing by computer or a flac player that may work, otherwise it could be somewhat a rabbit hole. 

Third:  Dropbox has a way to offer downloads without saving them to your Dropbox but it's not obvious.  Dropbox wants you to use their not very intuitive system so you'll send files to other people who have only minimal free space and it will be confusing enough they'll have to subscribe too in order to get what you (and others) sent them.  It's an effective business model but not an efficient way to share files...

Fourth: As noted Hightail is a good free one.  I like WeTransfer (wetransfer.com) better (free and up to 2 GB in a transfer either as a single file or multiple files within a transfer).  You can send wavs of long shows in a single set or multiple transfers if needed and they can burn those directly.  If they can figure out flac and how to play them then virtually show can be sent in one WeTransfer.  It's very simple to use (one of our friends on this board had not been able to figure out how to share files short of burning data discs and I kept suggesting WeTransfer).  That worked well even for them as an uploader.  I've never had anyone say they couldn't retrieve the files (unless the transfer expired since the free version is only good for 7 days)

On the MP3 thing (though anathema to us here!) lately I've been making those for most sets I send to the musicians since even most musicians don't know what to do with flac and they're on the move so much that when they play music it's mostly on their ipod so they need MP3's anyway.   I always send links to both (sort of my way of testing) but most musicians only download the MP3's.  If they need the pure files they know where to find them :-)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:37:07 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Also, I am going to educate the group on FLAC....as that is a better solution long-term.

I have struggled with this part in the past.  Now I can say something like "Have you downloaded VLC?  It plays FLAC files."  Sometimes the things that we are picky about others are not.  I have been recording demos for a local car collecting band that plays hits from the 50's and 60's and I have to dumb stuff down to MP3 for them.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
MP3 is fine for what it is, but folks need to know what it is not. It is not a mastering format. It is not an archival format.

It IS a convenient, limited-quality playback format.

As long as MP3 is recognized as a reference and not an original, I fully support its use. But don't throw out those lossless masters!  ;)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 11:03:51 PM »
I would say the best solution would be to upload to the archive, since this is DeadCo and they allow for it. Archive will create downloadable mp3s for those worried about file size, while retaining the FLACs and allowing for streaming via mobile devices, etc.

Well, I have a paid Dropbox account, so I have lot's of space. I put the tracks into a folder on my dropbox and shared it with them. When I was at my folks house last night, he was having trouble because his dropbox (free account) didn't have enough room to download the files to. I really am not trying to get this stuff into his dropbox, but onto his computer.

Dropbox gives the ability to download to your computer. The function might be hidden a bit, so try sharing the direct link with them instead of adding them to the folder, then they can just click on Direct Download.

I always just send bands and people I'm sharing recordings with the Dropbox link. Highlight the "Share" button to the right of the folder name on the Dropbox web portal, and copy and paste the link it will create. In fact, it never even crossed my mind that the person receiving the link had to actually put the files in their Dropbox, or even have a Dropbox account at all.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 05:18:24 PM »
Thanks for even more replies! I do appreciate it!

How about file naming philosophy? How do you name your stuff?

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »
Mine are always:

Artist-city-yyyy-mm-dd{-sx}-trxx-xxbit

I don't abbreviate the artist.  The set indicator is only there if the show was more than one set.  Track number always (at least) two digits (Audition seems to default to three digits when I start at track 0).  The bit rate may be optional as well if you only provide one.  Some will add indications of the taper or the gear used (which may help when numerous sources are around).  I use "-" not "." in the naming string. 

Others' MMV. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com