Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 108803 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
Bummer.

Yeah. I think I can live with it through the baker's dozen, as I tend to use the wingman app anyway, but hopefully SD will respond, and I'll send it back after phish.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »
Maybe try it with a different SD card. What kind/size card are you using?  Someone was reporting some wonky behavior when using a 128gb card.

Seems like a stretch, but you seemed to have tried most else. Or try downgrading to an earlier firmware if you have a copy.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:37 AM »
Maybe try it with a different SD card. What kind/size card are you using?  Someone was reporting some wonky behavior when using a 128gb card.

Seems like a stretch, but you seemed to have tried most else. Or try downgrading to an earlier firmware if you have a copy.

I'm using a 64gb card which was recommended by paul. I think the 128gb issue was related to an erlier bug in the firmware. I actually don't own another card, but I need to make a B&H run for gaffers tape before the BD anyway.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
Just trying to think of all the possibilities, though I doubt that a 64gb card recommended by SD would be an issue.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »

I'm using a 64gb card which was recommended by paul. I think the 128gb issue was related to an erlier bug in the firmware. I actually don't own another card, but I need to make a B&H run for gaffers tape before the BD anyway.

Are you anywhere you can plug in a USB keyboard? Just to see if keyboard commands will operate the transport.

Ctrl + R = Record

Ctrl + S = Stop

Spacebar = Play

Also, if you have some way of downloading and saving your current files, you could try re-formatting your memory card.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline thumper88

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
And another powering option... mine runs just fine off my Macbook and Mackbook pro USB-C chargers. Def handy for mixing at the desk.

Offline dpower

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
And another powering option... mine runs just fine off my Macbook and Mackbook pro USB-C chargers. Def handy for mixing at the desk.

When you say "mixing at the desk", are you using it as an interface? I ask because I'm unable to figure out how you get audio into and out of the MixPre with the USB-C port occupied by the charger.

Perhaps you're using it as a recorder "at the desk"?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2017, 01:31:53 PM »
From last night, DPA 4023>mixpre-3, 23rd row center:

https://soundcloud.com/user-499246530/rogerwaters2017-07-18t02

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »

Nice sound!  Any plans on upping the whole show?  My buddy took his daughter and it was her first concert ever.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »

Nice sound!  Any plans on upping the whole show?  My buddy took his daughter and it was her first concert ever.

I'll have it up on Trader's Den in the next couple days. Glad your friend was able to get his daughter out to the show. I saw alot of kids in the crowd that were probably a few years too young to understand the greatness they were witnessing.

Offline thumper88

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »

When you say "mixing at the desk", are you using it as an interface? I ask because I'm unable to figure out how you get audio into and out of the MixPre with the USB-C port occupied by the charger.

It seems to run fine for vocal tracking in via the USB-A port on the MixPre. So, power into MixPre through USB-C port, either from a Mac charger or Anker-type battery etc..... Then data out of USB-A port on MixPre-3 though a USB-A/USB-C cable, with the C end run intone of  the MacBook Pro USB-C ports.
I'm using a phantom powered mic (not that it matters but in this case a Sennheiser 8060) run into 1st XLR on MixPre and tracking directly from the MixPre without recording  into Adobe Audition with no issues that I can discern.
This very minute I'm using an Anker to do exactly this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:09:51 PM by thumper88 »

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2017, 04:38:36 PM »

It seems to run fine for vocal tracking in via the USB-A port on the MixPre. So, power into MixPre through USB-C port, either from a Mac charger or Anker-type battery etc..... Then data out of USB-A port on MixPre-3 though a USB-A/USB-C cable, with the C end run intone of  the MacBook Pro USB-C ports.
I'm using a phantom powered mic (not that it matters but in this case a Sennheiser 8060) run into 1st XLR on MixPre and tracking directly from the MixPre without recording  into Adobe Audition with no issues that I can discern.

This is the second time someone has suggested that you can use the mixpre's USB-A port when you want to use it as an audio interface. I thought the USB-A port was for keyboards...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline celticrogues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »

I asked Sound Devices twice if it was possible to use the USB-A port for audio interface connection to a computer and got a resounding "no" both times. But you're saying it's working?

Edit: It is NOT working for me. Have my MP6 powered by AA batteries and USB A connection to my MacBook Air USB A port and nothing shows up on the computer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:03:54 PM by celticrogues »
Michael Fowler
www.mobilemikesny.com

Offline rigpimp

• Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:18 AM »
I used my MP-6 as a USB interface today to record a NPR re-broadcast.  USB-A to USB-C.  I had to set channel 1 & 2 both to USB 1 input, that was it and change USB-C from "Power Only" to "Audio".  After getting everything set I created a preset for it.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline waltmon

« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
Ok...finally have mine ordered...delivering in time for Baker's doz      :guitarist: :headphones:
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com