Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 108814 times)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »
My MP3 gets hot in the bag. It doesn't matter if phantom is engaged, if the machine is recording or in standby, it gets really warm.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #346 on: September 12, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »
Mine gets warm, but nothing like the 722,744t, 788t. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #347 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
My understanding is that heat is generated by the battery and the CPU. Just like a laptop, they get hot when the processor is hard at work. Batteries get hot when they are discharging, but the CPU is the suspect with so much of it's operation driven by the processor that it's likely all it is. More reliance on pots and switches may explain the cooler Zoom F8.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2017, 02:28:50 PM »
+1 on this

Mine gets warm, but nothing like the 722,744t, 788t.

Offline ben_r_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
Just ordered a MixPre-6 from B&H. Whats everyone using for powering it off the wall outlet? Surely there is something cheaper than the Sound Devices MX-Charge.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
Just ordered a MixPre-6 from B&H. Whats everyone using for powering it off the wall outlet? Surely there is something cheaper than the Sound Devices MX-Charge.

I would think any USB-C charger would work that puts out 3 Amps.

I have one at home that I can try when I get back from work.

This is what I have. Doesn't look like it's available now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BVLLC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline ben_r_

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »

I would think any USB-C charger would work that puts out 3 Amps.

I have one at home that I can try when I get back from work.

This is what I have. Doesn't look like it's available now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BVLLC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I was thinking, as long as it has a high enough current output and a correct/compatible USB-C cable is used, any USB charger should work. I just couldn't find anyone mentioning that they use one and it worked. I guess that's because most are more concerned with using the MixPres on portable power. I will be using mine for a for person podcast and it'll be plugged into the AC outlet most of its life along with the other gear we use. I just like it small and portable as I have to carry all the gear in and out from the location.

Im wondering if anyone has tried this combo:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B06Y427WT7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XYBPMN

Same prices as the MX-Charge, but is at least a bit more universal.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:27:32 PM by ben_r_ »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
Ran the MP6 at an outdoor festival in Cali on Saturday ... man, it heats up in the bag. We've known that but it really does get hot.
The Zoom F8, however, stays pretty cool. What's the technical reason why?

From my admittedly limited knowledge of the topic, the relatively poor efficiency of the MixPre's class A discrete pre-amps should generate a lot of excess heat compared to the F8's IC pre-amps (?)...

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:44 PM »

I've been using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Samsung-Microsoft-Supported-Devices/dp/B01MFCGR0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505267323&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=USB-C+Wall+Charger%2C+Volutz+27W

and this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKZ1VA/ref=twister_B06W2PMP6C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No problems so far.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #354 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
Honestly, until the Sound Devices bozos figure out how to get a decent powering solution that doesn't involve only one or two brands of battery via unstable USB-C, or their giant and ungainly L-mount solution, not to mention some basic firmware upgrades, this thing is an embarrassing bust. Reality is that for recording PA systems, these fancy pres really don't matter. What does matter is the lousy battery life, lack of a standard professional HiRose connector, and ridiculous user experience of the "polyWAV" which is a giant time-waster.

I loved my USBPre2 and found that intuitive, and even the SD7xx I think are pretty simple once you get the hang of them. This thing so far to me is pretty weak other than just looking cool. Of course, once you've added on the silly looking batteries, etc. just to get it to last longer than an hour, it doesn't look as cool.

I know the herd has flocked to it, but I kind of wish I had not joined that herd. The Zoom F8 does everything I needed and more and runs beautifully on AAs if it has to.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
So, you bought the wrong bit of kit for your usage and you are calling the company the bozo? Sorry, but that doesn't make much sense.

I have been researching extensively this product and haven't yet decided to buy. I agree that some of the powering options don't work for everyone, but there seem to be a few that work just fine. Will I buy it? Probably, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:42 AM »
Honestly, until the Sound Devices bozos figure out how to get a decent powering solution that doesn't involve only one or two brands of battery via unstable USB-C, or their giant and ungainly L-mount solution, not to mention some basic firmware upgrades, this thing is an embarrassing bust. Reality is that for recording PA systems, these fancy pres really don't matter. What does matter is the lousy battery life, lack of a standard professional HiRose connector, and ridiculous user experience of the "polyWAV" which is a giant time-waster.

1. Users are reporting that this works just fine with multiple brands of usb-c battery packs. Can you point to a properly designed usb-c battery which doesn't work with the mixpre? Further, why do you claim that it is "unstable." Mine works just fine, and is at least as secure as the mini usb port used on multiple recorders. A hirose connector doesn't help me, the USB-C batteries are far less expensive and run longer than any 12v battery I've found.

2. What "basic firmware upgrades" are you referring to? As SD has posted in multiple places, channel linking can be done in "Advanced mode."

3. I record PA systems, but I also record string quartets and small Jazz ensembles. I like the preamps, the form factor, and the user interface.

4. Don't all the other SD multitrack recorders use Polywave files? Wave Agent splits and combines these files however you like quickly and for free.

SD had to cut some features out to get the price down to $899. Thankfully they didn't compromise on sound quality.

I'm sorry that the product doesn't meet your needs, perhaps you shouldn't buy it.

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:34 AM »
No issues powering mine!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182854.0

Honestly, until the Sound Devices bozos figure out how to get a decent powering solution that doesn't involve only one or two brands of battery via unstable USB-C, or their giant and ungainly L-mount solution, not to mention some basic firmware upgrades, this thing is an embarrassing bust.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:49 AM »
4. Don't all the other SD multitrack recorders use Polywave files? Wave Agent splits and combines these files however you like quickly and for free.

I'm not jumping into the fray in terms of arguing about the MixPre3/6 (I don't own either, but as far as I can tell they're pretty badass), but I just want to point out that some recorders give you the option of polywave or a bunch of individual mono files.  Not that it's necessarily all that important of a feature either way.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
this thing is an embarrassing bust. Reality is that for recording PA systems, these fancy pres really don't matter. What does matter is the lousy battery life, lack of a standard professional HiRose connector, and ridiculous user experience of the "polyWAV" which is a giant time-waster.

I don't know, I've run the 744, 722, Tascam DR100mkIII, and mixpre-6 mic in with 4023s and 4028s and the mixpre-6 results have been a considerable upgrade vs all of the others whether stealth or open taping.

Because the preamps are so good, I haven't missed leaving my V3 and Sonosax at home and so I'm also not bothered by having 2 L-mount batteries sitting in my bag instead of the extra space taken by external preamps and the DVD batteries needed to power them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com