Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 109311 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2017, 07:31:46 PM »
Those of us with mp6 units should continue to experiment and report back with findings.

For me, I'm going to try to run the mixpre6 on 0db for 5/6, control gain with the littlebox and see what happens.
In mp-6 you can adjust the signal strength to aux input:
In line mode -40 - +40 dB
In the microphone mode -20 - +60 db
This should suffice in most situations, without need external attenuator.
I applied -10 dBu from the mp-d to the 5 and 6 aux input of the mp-6, mode line
5 channel level 14 db set
6 channel level 20 db set
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-M9vh-K8KZmSGF0R2NsRUp1aVE/view?usp=sharing
The same is in the microphone mode.

I sent an email to Sound Devices to get more information, but my instinct tells me that the +10dB Maximum Input Clipping Level is an absolute spec and that the gain range will have no effect. In other words, setting the Aux Gain to -10dB would NOT mean the Aux 5/6 input can accept a +20dB signal.

Will follow-up when they respond.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
Those of us with mp6 units should continue to experiment and report back with findings.

For me, I'm going to try to run the mixpre6 on 0db for 5/6, control gain with the littlebox and see what happens.
In mp-6 you can adjust the signal strength to aux input:
In line mode -40 - +40 dB
In the microphone mode -20 - +60 db
This should suffice in most situations, without need external attenuator.
I applied -10 dBu from the mp-d to the 5 and 6 aux input of the mp-6, mode line
5 channel level 14 db set
6 channel level 20 db set
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-M9vh-K8KZmSGF0R2NsRUp1aVE/view?usp=sharing
The same is in the microphone mode.
i have a feeling you are right and in my situation, running 5/6is a must but if he t can't handle the signal from my tiny box there is no point

I sent an email to Sound Devices to get more information, but my instinct tells me that the +10dB Maximum Input Clipping Level is an absolute spec and that the gain range will have no effect. In other words, setting the Aux Gain to -10dB would NOT mean the Aux 5/6 input can accept a +20dB signal.

Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks man.

Just run your ipa into the mp3, turn off P48. Let the ipa power the mics. Will run a long time on 4 AA's if no P48.
Just an idea, i'm going to use my Babynbox the same way as soon as i get a cable.

1/8 line
 input?

No, i dont think that works as good as the xlr inputs (it might be just me, someone correct me then)
You can go line in via xlrs and shut off P48, i'll be trying it out very soon.

Personally, I'd much rather use a balanced connection if at all possible...

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2017, 11:29:42 PM »
I suppose something like this could live in my bag for loud shows or hot sbd patches: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/971344-REG/microphone_madness_mm_at_1_attenuator_cable_13.html

FWIW, Naiant also makes RCA and TRS attenuator cables, not just XLR.  The link Bean posted earlier, for convenience. >
http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/mpd-inline-attenuator-2/

Offline b_curl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2017, 01:34:06 AM »
This is probably very obvious to most, but I learned the hard way that channels need to be armed for them to be written to separate wav files .

I recorded an interview with a translator and mic'd them up separately only to discover they wrote to the one recording. The main issue being that one of the mics was quieter than the other but I didn't bother to correct it as the interview was halfway through and I intended to fix the separate wave file in post.

If anyone knows of a way in Adobe Audition to normalise the recording so that one subjects voice is the of the same loudness as the other, it would be greatly appreciated!

Very new to Sound Devices gear and multiple channel recording (apart from stereo recording) but I must say I am extremely happy with the results so far. I recorded a choir at a church service on a remote island in Melonesia with a pair of DPA 4060's and it sounds unreal!

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2017, 02:40:40 AM »

Perhaps, it depends on the circuitry.
Thank you for your request to SD.
It will be useful to know exactly.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
This is probably very obvious to most, but I learned the hard way that channels need to be armed for them to be written to separate wav files .

I recorded an interview with a translator and mic'd them up separately only to discover they wrote to the one recording. The main issue being that one of the mics was quieter than the other but I didn't bother to correct it as the interview was halfway through and I intended to fix the separate wave file in post.

If anyone knows of a way in Adobe Audition to normalise the recording so that one subjects voice is the of the same loudness as the other, it would be greatly appreciated!

Very new to Sound Devices gear and multiple channel recording (apart from stereo recording) but I must say I am extremely happy with the results so far. I recorded a choir at a church service on a remote island in Melonesia with a pair of DPA 4060's and it sounds unreal!

Did you open the file in Waveagent? Maybe it was recorded in stereo in the LRMix.

How did you connect the DPA 4060's to the MixPre?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 02:54:40 PM »

Got a reply and it was pretty much what I expected.

Thank you for contacting Sound Devices.  Based on the output of the pre-amp that you are using, setting the AUX input to either MIC or LINE level should allow you to set proper gain for a condenser microphone.  The AUX input has a large gain range from that can be adjusted from -40db to +40db when this input is set to LINE and -20db to +60db when this input is set to MIC.  If your AUX input setting is MIC, per the manual, this input signal should not exceed -10dBu.  If set to LINE, please make sure the input signal does not exceed +10dBu.  Yes, these are maximum input levels and if they are exceeded, your input will be too hot.  We don't currently have a diagram of the AUX-IN signal processing.

Offline b_curl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »

Did you open the file in Waveagent? Maybe it was recorded in stereo in the LRMix.

How did you connect the DPA 4060's to the MixPre?

I opened it on Waveagent, but I had  stupidity centred the pan on both channels on the MP3.

I connect it via xlr. My only critique of the mics is their fragile connection points.

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2017, 04:08:25 PM »

Thank you for contacting Sound Devices.  Based on the output of the pre-amp that you are using, setting the AUX input to either MIC or LINE level should allow you to set proper gain for a condenser microphone.  The AUX input has a large gain range from that can be adjusted from -40db to +40db when this input is set to LINE and -20db to +60db when this input is set to MIC.  If your AUX input setting is MIC, per the manual, this input signal should not exceed -10dBu.  If set to LINE, please make sure the input signal does not exceed +10dBu.  Yes, these are maximum input levels and if they are exceeded, your input will be too hot.  We don't currently have a diagram of the AUX-IN signal processing.

Exhaustively.
Thank you.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
I opened it on Waveagent, but I had  stupidity centred the pan on both channels on the MP3.
You can use a compressor, this will help to some extent.
Perhaps a little EQ, depending of the voices.
You can make a double track, cut quiet phrases, boost the level and mix with the main track, if the recording is worth it.

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
ok. I recorded an acoustic set last night with my MixPre-6.  Ch 1-2 were the SBD.. my levels looked great all night, think I even turned them down slightly at one point..came home to almost seeing a flatline wavform..levels peaked at -49db.  I've used it before and this didn't happen...what gives? anyone know?  on the plus side..I brought the levels up to 0 in Soundforge and still sounds great, I hear no hiss at all.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:36:57 PM by mountaintaper »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »

thanks
So for me the mp is pretty much useless as I need to run 5/6 the way my mics are set up, i.e. Requiring the tinybox unless I bought all new cables which defeats the point for me :(
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
^ For most mics and recording situations, the +10 dBu line input should be usable.  As an example, a Schoeps MK41 (14 mV/Pa) puts out +10 dBu at 139 dBSPL, which is insanely loud (Schoeps specs the max at 132 dB).  Even a few feet from the drums, it is unlikely to reach that level.  If you add gain, though, it's definitely possible.  I would think that a pre-amp with zero (or little) gain should almost always be OK, whereas something like an nbox (which I recall has 20 dB fixed gain) might cause problems.  I think in Noah's case, the issue was the 20 dB he added at the recorder.  I guess SD's specs could be off too (actually takes less than +10 dBu).

Soundboards are a different thing entirely, though...

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
My second outing with the MP6:

https://archive.org/details/dco2017-06-22

I had AA batteries in for backup and it seemed to rely on those first as I got a low power warning in first set. My assumption is that I hadn't kicked on the USB battery pack first, so it defaulted to AA.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com