Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Graphine speaker membranes?  (Read 5816 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Graphene speaker membranes?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
Perhaps not snake oil.

In 1990 I spoke with Dan Healy before the Grateful Dead show at Sandstone, and he was lamenting that there had not been a real advance in speaker technology in many years.

Graphene drivers (and for that matter graphene dynamic mic diaphragms) would not be a bad idea, though it might not be revolutionary.

Remember how the use of "Rare Earth" magnets allowed Sony to increase output and decrease size and weight of their headphones in the early '80's and the Walkman became a thing!?

I see that one point touted for the Graphene products is that the lighter materials will improve battery life (energy efficiency)  - That's hip.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Graphine speaker membranes?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
In my limited grasp of all things tech, I came away thinking that they might be talking of small devices that you'd find in hearing aids, head phones, cell phones e tc... where the speaker was small to microscopic. Not something you'd find in an 8 to 10" driver of your home stereo.  I'm likely wrong.

Their target market for what I saw does seem to be small devices.

But if you had an efficient enough process, you could make a larger transducer out of a large number of these, (any perfect square would work) 64 of them? 525 of them? 65536 of them?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »
I want some Jensen 6x9's for my Sanyo bi-amp 8-track in my '76 Nova :coolguy:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »

I almost thought you might be the guy that stole my car.....but my Sanyo 8-track wasn't bi-amped..... :yack:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »

I almost thought you might be the guy that stole my car.....but my Sanyo 8-track wasn't bi-amped..... :yack:

I used to keep a box full of matchbooks in the car to jam under the 8-tracks when they started dragging. Hi-Fi baby!!

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »
ya'll some ole farts...and yes I had a 8 Track in my first vehicle...a Raleigh Parks and Rec. Forest Green 1967 Ford Bronco my father bought at the junkyard and we repainted & repaired in our basement.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »
ya'll some ole farts...and yes I had a 8 Track in my first vehicle...a Raleigh Parks and Rec. Forest Green 1967 Ford Bronco my father bought at the junkyard and we repainted & repaired in our basement.

Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster" just sounds better on 8-Track

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 11:20:04 AM »
In my limited grasp of all things tech, I came away thinking that they might be talking of small devices that you'd find in hearing aids, head phones, cell phones e tc... where the speaker was small to microscopic. Not something you'd find in an 8 to 10" driver of your home stereo.  I'm likely wrong.

Their target market for what I saw does seem to be small devices.

But if you had an efficient enough process, you could make a larger transducer out of a large number of these, (any perfect square would work) 64 of them? 525 of them? 65536 of them?

True digital speaker? with lots of pixel-like on/off driving elements?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_speaker

Sort of actual example via MEMS- http://www.icsense.com/cases/128-channel-mems-driver-with-1-8v-to-90v-dc-dc/

^ Except looks to have 87 one volt steps per element rather than two if I read this correctly..
HV switch matrix, 64 columns and 32 rows
Individually programmable outputs with 1V steps
On-chip DC-DC converters (2.9V to 90V)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com