Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photobucket Boldly Pioneers Revenue Generation and Predicts Bright Shiny Future  (Read 2298 times)

Offline DigiGal

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boycott Photobucket, start moving photos now!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
 :alert:  Photobucket Boldly Pioneers Revenue Generation and Predicts Bright Shiny Future. . .  :banging head:

On June 28, 2017, Photobucket changed its Terms of Use regarding free accounts and third party hosting (hosting on forums, eBay, etc). Only the most expensive plan, at $399.99 per year, now permits third party hosting and linking to forums, etc. Which effectively alienating a very large percentage of their users, whom only used Photobucket for third-party image hosting. Photobucket made this change with no input or consultation with their current users, or the public. Adding this to photobuckets use of excessive pop-up ads, scams, clickbait advertisements, and in some cases viruses embedded in ads, the number of active account quickly decreased.

This new business model has caused thousands of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. Ebay and Etsy have also been affected, in addition to many forums and blogs. Thousands of images promoting goods sold on Amazon and other shopping sites have been removed after the photo-sharing service changed its terms.

Photobucket offered free and subscription based (Plus) accounts. Free account users received 2 GB of storage for photo and video uploads, 10 GB of transfers (which they call "bandwidth") per month for sharing and linking, and unlimited access to Photobucket’s editing, slideshow, and Story features. "Plus" accounts were structured into storage tiers offerring unlimited bandwidth, use of site features, and an advertisement free experience.

The following described subscription pricing as of October 2016:
2 GB - free
20 GB - $2.99/month, $29.99/year
50 GB - $4.99/month, $49.99/year
100 GB - $8.99/month, $89.99/year
200 GB - $16.99/month, $169.99/year
500 GB - $39.99/month, $399.99/year <<--- (As of June 30, 2017, the only option that allows embedding/hotlinking)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:54:09 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 | Shure VP88 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 "StarQuad" w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: Sound Devices MixPre-D Recorder: Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 27"3.4GHz QuadCore i7 iMac | OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 | Wave Editor | xACT  | Transmission | Final Cut Pro X                                                            

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
Unless my avi is blank and no one's told me... (thanks,kids...) then my PB account is still working as designed. Maybe it's been "grandfathered" in.  :wink2:
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline DigiGal

Unless my avi is blank and no one's told me... (thanks,kids...) then my PB account is still working as designed. Maybe it's been "grandfathered" in.  :wink2:

Dude, your avi is/was blank [?] wasn't there then it was again !  They appear to be rolling this out in batches or groups so it will affect everyone.  I didn't get hit until the second round myself, I've been using them for linking for about ten years.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:02:41 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 | Shure VP88 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 "StarQuad" w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: Sound Devices MixPre-D Recorder: Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 27"3.4GHz QuadCore i7 iMac | OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 | Wave Editor | xACT  | Transmission | Final Cut Pro X                                                            

Offline Ben Turnbull

Wow... So you're suggesting it's gone now, or was and is now back?  I can see it. Is that possible?  What are our hosting options?  I've been using PB for ages too. :shrug:
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline Lynx Rufus

• Eat A Peach
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting on the next cladogenetic event...
    • Oceana North America
https://www.google.com/search?q=free+image+hosting

Hey, man, everybody's got something to hide, except me and my monkey.

Yeah, the Grandkids are back in town, to see Trump's U.S.A . for the Summer.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones
"We tape to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect"
                      (with apologies to Anais Nin)

Offline DigiGal

Wow... So you're suggesting it's gone now, or was and is now back?  I can see it. Is that possible?  What are our hosting options?  I've been using PB for ages too. :shrug:

Yes, it was missing when I first typed my response, then it was there later when I came back.  When I clicked on your missing avi it took me to your profile where it was missing too so I grabbed a screen cap to show you and went back to the post and your avi was there.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (9)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
I got that email too. I clicked the link just to see how much it would cost to continue to use the service.

I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. These guys are out of their gourds if they think anyone is going to pay that amount.

If it were something like $1-$2/month I'd consider it. I really don't use the service much except to host images of items I sell (here and other places).
-24      -12              -6             0       OVER
||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []  
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (17)
    • my list
I got that email too. I clicked the link just to see how much it would cost to continue to use the service.

I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. These guys are out of their gourds if they think anyone is going to pay that amount.

If it were something like $1-$2/month I'd consider it. I really don't use the service much except to host images of items I sell (here and other places).

same!  it's unbelievable they people will go from free to $40 a month just to 3rd party image host.
Mics: Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA, km140
Pre:  Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/gordonlw

Offline Ben Turnbull

DigiGal, so you're saying you do not see my avi now?  Odd that I see it, or do I just not get it?

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
DigiGal, so you're saying you do not see my avi now?  Odd that I see it, or do I just not get it?

I see it now but it was gone earlier...  They're messin' with it. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Be neat if the Wayback machine at the archive.org had a copy of the relevant images...
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline DigiGal

I see it now but it was gone earlier...  They're messin' with it.

Yeah Ben, your avatar seems to come and go, gone this morning and back again.

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
I don't see it at all Ben. but I use FF with Ublock origin.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline ilduclo

• Trade Count: (3)
my photos are still there in my account on PB. I seldom used them as 3rd party hoster. A good alternative host for photos is blogger

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Is there any "business reason" to intentionally charge so much that you guarantee you go out of business? I'm thinking so sort of (legal) write off scam?

||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (23)
  • goes to 11

Wouldn't be the first time someone deliberately ran a business into the reef to get out of a massive amount of debt... :hmmm:
MK41 > PFA > Aerco MP2/RAD MS2 > DR60d/DR2d
MBHO KA300 > Naiant PFA > SD MixPre6 (currently under construction)

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Thank you for posting this.  I was wondering why people's avatars started to disappear, including my own. 

After using Photobucket for over 15 years I just deleted all of my photos and my account.

I suggest backing your data up and/or removing it before it is held hostage.

I just used this site to replace my avatar:  http://tinypic.com/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:43:07 AM by rigpimp »
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Team Milab | TeamVW:2004 TDI Beetle -Malone1.5
yes I noticed while I was away at OCF and NWSS I returned so see my new avatar...
 :(
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  •  Busman BSC2 BusBox (K21-O, K41-SC, K11-C)  • Line Audio CM3's
PreAmps:  SD USB-Pre2  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox (no bodies) • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: Zoom F8 • Tascam DR-680 • Tascam DR-60D • Marantz PMD 661 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
RODE  NT5's • Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics
==============================
Extra:  Denecke AD-20   |    Presonus FireB

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Thanks, it works!

(I had to dig for the raw link but I found it)

Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
I moved my avatar to imgur.com. I don't see them going anywhere soon.

Luckily I don't really have anything valuable on Photobucket, although it was interesting to see what I had up there. I've sold a lot of stuff that I've completely forgot about. Also some good trips down memory lane (like seeing a photo my old JB3).

Offline Lynx Rufus

• Eat A Peach
    • Oceana North America

I stopped using PB in 2005 when it was taken over by Brazilians  ???

Brazilians?!  Dang, that's a pretty big number....

FYI, googlespace is free up to 15gb

To make files public, although still subject to Google's TOC, set folder as "public".
Then access with URL in the form of:
https://googledrive.com/host/<folderID>/<filename>
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

Offline Ben Turnbull

Thank you for posting this.  I was wondering why people's avatars started to disappear, including my own. 

After using Photobucket for over 15 years I just deleted all of my photos and my account.

I suggest backing your data up and/or removing it before it is held hostage.

Hummmm

From the terms of use doc, ... first paragraph, bold is  mine

TinyPic.com Terms of Use Agreement

May 2, 2008

Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com (the "Site"), which is an image and video sharing service that allows Users (as defined in the following paragraph) to store images and videos and share them across the internet and create unique personal profiles online. TinyPic allows Users to upload images and videos and associate them with a unique URL to create online access to the images and videos for themselves and others, on the site and on other websites where a User posts the URL ("the quick link feature").

Good luck, campers. I think I'll try to use DropBox.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:35:51 PM by Ben Turnbull »

Offline bombdiggity

Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com

:cheers:
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!

Photobucket, Inc. ("TinyPic" or "we") operates TinyPic.com

:cheers:

Ironic that it is free and the other Bucket is not.  I don't mind shuffling my Jarts Avatar around a couple of times, as needed.  Hell, I could host it myself if it really came down to it...
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline Ben Turnbull

I - AM - NOT - A - ROBOT!!!   :angry3:

Geez, I hate that verification scheme. Took 4e4 to delete my account. Couldn't download anything either, despite the "download album" option.

And my linking a file in DropBox doesn't work as is.  That's disappointing. Binky will do till I can reinstate Johnny V.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:11:57 PM by Ben Turnbull »

Online lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
I've always wondered why you can't load an image from your local machine?
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-70D

Offline Lynx Rufus

• Eat A Peach
    • Oceana North America

I - AM - NOT - A - ROBOT!!!   :angry3:

Human thinks it a bad thing

Find a robot addicted to television, or anything for that matter, ...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (33)

Care to leave your machine on all the time and be our new image host?  ;)

I currently have my avatar on imgur.com and I don't even have an account. The nice thing about their site is that the server holds onto the file 6 months, so long as the file is linked/accessed, otherwise it gets deleted. However, I wouldn't recommend the site for storage of picture collections.

Unfortunately, the fate of all image sites seems to be the way of bloat.

Offline Ben Turnbull

Not to make more work for the TS mods, but I wonder if, say site supporters, could upload their avis to the TS server and have it as available to membership as my little friend Binky?  (And those boiler plate images are handy to get nOObs going, but really,  how many shots of Trey etal is enough? Just sayin'.  Same for the suite of Jerry shots.) . . .  grumpy old man goes to bed now.   :zzz:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (27)

Generally, you can upload images from your local machine.  The policy for a long time has been:

we prefer TSers upload pics directly to TS only if they relate specifically to taping / recording / gear content and are instructive or illustrative in a useful way.

But we restricted avatar uploads ages ago, before I became a mod, I assume because it was becoming an issue in some way.
Milab VM-44 Links >
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (27)
Oh, hey -- while I have some potentially interested parties here:

One of our users is having trouble editing old posts (like 7 years old) to update image links.  I checked permissions and settings and everything seems fine -- edit permission enabled, with no post 'age' cutoff to prevent users from editing after a certain period of time.

Can one or a couple of you with some seriously old posts go back to try to edit one and let me know what happens?
Milab VM-44 Links >
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Team Milab | TeamVW:2004 TDI Beetle -Malone1.5
well - just to try to attempt to keep my old bucket of photos in one place I was / am trying to dowload my pics. Used both chorme and safari so far, and after I click I am not a robot, I can not download my albums. I am not (domn't want to try to d/L each photo individually.
I want to cancel my account now that all the images I have posted here are  not appearing. But I do wan tto back them up asI have years of pic there.

any suggestions?

EDIT: - well that sucked- I downloaded each pic individually, then deleted them all... all during many (too many) pop up ads. then deleted my account after proving I'm not a robot, clicking on the the squares with pants, then cars... DONE.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:03:49 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  •  Busman BSC2 BusBox (K21-O, K41-SC, K11-C)  • Line Audio CM3's
PreAmps:  SD USB-Pre2  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox (no bodies) • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: Zoom F8 • Tascam DR-680 • Tascam DR-60D • Marantz PMD 661 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
RODE  NT5's • Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics
==============================
Extra:  Denecke AD-20   |    Presonus FireB

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
Oh, hey -- while I have some potentially interested parties here:

One of our users is having trouble editing old posts (like 7 years old) to update image links.  I checked permissions and settings and everything seems fine -- edit permission enabled, with no post 'age' cutoff to prevent users from editing after a certain period of time.

Can one or a couple of you with some seriously old posts go back to try to edit one and let me know what happens?

Just successfully edited this one from January, '06-  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=57742.msg760995#msg760995
Text exit only, no pictures. Hope that helps.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

Offline Ben Turnbull

I moved my avatar to imgur.com. I don't see them going anywhere soon.

<snip>

bingo! +T for the tip.  Did I read that that site holds the pix for a set time, unless they get accessed? Is TS'ers reading posts going to serve that end?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:00:56 PM by Ben Turnbull »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (33)
^ Yes, I've been using it more than 6-months now and it hasn't been removed (see my previous post). Of course, it's a good idea to also keep a copy on your machine or backup just in case.

Unfortunately, imgur has been bloating little-by-little. It's bound to happen so be prepared.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.434 seconds with 57 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com