Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R26 - discontinued?  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Kamen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Roland R26 - discontinued?
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
Dear oh dear. Now, I was getting used to the idea that the era of high-performance, pocket recorders might be coming to an end (what with the Sony PCM-M10 and now Edirol/Roland R05 being discontinued), but this seems more serious. Roland's R26 appears as "discontinued" at BH:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821260-REG/Roland_R_26_R_26_6_Channel_Digital_Field.html

...and over here in Europe, Thomann.de aren't carrying any handheld recorders by Roland whatsoever. Is Roland abandoning this market sector? Or is it preparing an overhaul? There's been some stiff competition in the handheld recorder field recently (Tascam, Zoom), and the Zoom F8+F4 seem to have taken over the R-88 and R-44 market share, but still.

Any ideas, thoughts, pointers?

Best,

K.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Roland R26 - discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:51:12 PM »
I'd be happy if phones can replace the small recorders...makes stealth that much easier.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Kamen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:36:07 PM »
I'd be happy if phones can replace the small recorders...makes stealth that much easier.

It certainly looks like things are headed that way. Interesting times...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »

Eh, I think I'd prefer a $200 - $300 recorder, like the m10, over a very expensive wonderphone. The recorder has one job and it won't be slowed down for app updates and interrupted by phone calls.
I do get the appeal of having a high quality device that can make good audio and video recordings and then upload it to the internet, but I don't think that kind of device is for me...yet.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:57:43 PM »
I've started messing around with a Shure MV88 > Iphone...and I see a lot of potential. The dpa dvice seems like a more evolutionary step.

On the flipside, I've the happy owner of a R26 for the last few months...and super happy with it.

Most of the smaller shows I tape are super open and friendly to taping, and I love those situations. But everything else (even bigger shows that are open-ish) seems to be getting tougher, and more of a hassle. I think we're basically at the point where using a phone is on the same level as bringing in a recorder, and maybe a preamp.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:47 AM »
^ The way I see it, a smart phone does many things moderately well, but not much of anything really well (compared to dedicated devices).  They have to cram a lot into a small space, and a high-quality audio recorder is not a real priority.  So I think an actual recorder, designed solely for that function, generally does better.  The d:vice is kind of a special animal because with that all the phone has to do is capture the bits...

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:02:24 PM »
^ The way I see it, a smart phone does many things moderately well, but not much of anything really well (compared to dedicated devices).  They have to cram a lot into a small space, and a high-quality audio recorder is not a real priority.  So I think an actual recorder, designed solely for that function, generally does better.  The d:vice is kind of a special animal because with that all the phone has to do is capture the bits...

Yeah, I agree. Smart phone as a recorder isn't there yet, and may never be. But it's to the point where it's a legit option, IMO. Given the choice, I'll always set up my best, most dedicated gear - but I see plenty of potential for these other kinda  >:D new phone-based options.

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »

I agree. In ultimate stealth situations, where there are searches on the door, I have been using with some success the Tascam iXJ2 device with an iPhone 4s, but it's not as simple as using a dedicated device (I use the M10). Using an iPhone will always involve adding something else to the loop, that's another connection that can fail. Then you have the reliability of any recording app that you might use and battery life. What I prefer about using the M10 is that I can look down into my pocket, see the flashing green dots, and know I'm okay. When I use the iPhone I have to remove it from my pocket, whilst being careful not to loosen the iPhone connection, unlock the phone, and then open the app to check the levels. Whatever app you use, it will be obvious to anybody that sees your screen that you are recording.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com