Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Countryman B3 protective caps

(1/1)

heathen:
Has anyone tried the various protective caps for the Countryman B3, other than the stock caps?  I'm considering giving the "bright" caps a try to bring out the high end a bit more (see attached chart).  I'm curious, though, if the caps work as advertised or if it would be better to just EQ a recording with the stock caps.  EQ'ing is pretty intimidating to me, though, because I have almost no clue what I'm doing and when I try it I usually just make things sound worse.

morst:
YUK!

If you don't like using EQ, then don't use these! I think they'd be for speech intelligibility, not musical balance.

This is like using an EQ with only one setting. HOPE YOU LIKE IT!??!
 :tomato:

You would definitely be better off attempting to EQ a few of your existing recordings with those same EQ settings to see how you really like +4 or +8dB of boost in that range!!
The chart for Very Bright looks like +5dB/octave, centered at 16kHz!? 6dB is a more normal filter number... Try 3dB/octave to imitate the +4?! If you have a parametric EQ, try starting with a Q setting around 0.5, which is equal to a filter which is 2 octaves wide. (q is simply the inverse of the filter width in octaves)

--- Quote from: heathen on October 20, 2017, 01:18:45 PM ---Has anyone tried the various protective caps for the Countryman B3, other than the stock caps?  I'm considering giving the "bright" caps a try to bring out the high end a bit more (see attached chart).  I'm curious, though, if the caps work as advertised or if it would be better to just EQ a recording with the stock caps.  EQ'ing is pretty intimidating to me, though, because I have almost no clue what I'm doing and when I try it I usually just make things sound worse.

--- End quote ---

Gutbucket:
I had only the "bright" high-boost grids when I was playing around with the B3s.  Didn't like them, found them peaky and resonant sounding, and preferred using no grid and EQing to find the right top balance.  I never had low-boost grids for them but figure those would probably be a good middle-ground starting point.  That's partly from my experience using the DPA 4060/4061 where the low-boost grid is my preferred baseline over either the high-boost grid or no grid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version