Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Maximum “acceptable” vertical spacing for near coincident configurations

(1/4) > >>

ycoop:
My current mic bar doesn’t allow me to run full bodied mics in DIN or ORTF without the XLR plugs overlapping (I see the advantage of active cables now ;)). I can solve this by flipping one of the 5/8” threaded connectors upside down to introduce vertical spacing (see attachment).  I know most custom mounts have a slight vertical offset which doesn’t noticeably introduce any issues. I know I can purchase a small extender to elevate one of the shockmounts, but I’m taping Phish in Tahoe on Tuesday and don’t have time to purchase one beforehand.

How wide of a vertical spacing would you feel comfortable with? At what spacing would this start to be introduce noticeable differences between channels? In the picture the capsules are spaced ~17cm apart on the vertical axis.

heathen:
I think you'd be fine with the spacing you're using.  What the upper limit of vertical spacing is, though, I don't know.

Gutbucket:
You're good as pictured.  Try to keep the elevation angle identical for both microphones.

ycoop:
Thanks folks!

jcable77:
You could have Ted build you some right angle xlr’s to help with your problem of cables being in each others way when there both up on the vertical. Otherwise ones kind of pointing up and the other is pointing down while in DIN. You could try NOS also which is a wider spacing at 90 degrees and that would help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version