Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Good EQ Standards and Practices

(1/3) > >>

ThePiedPiper:
I have a show that I was playing it safe with the levels during the recording, and it's very low, so I'll be raising it approx 14db in Audition. I want to do some (minor) EQ. My question is what is the "best practice" here?  EQ the show BEFORE raising the levels or EQ the show AFTER raising the levels? Also I imagine most dither and then re-sample (in that order) is that correct?

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: ThePiedPiper on July 16, 2018, 07:42:34 PM ---I have a show that I was playing it safe with the levels during the recording, and it's very low, so I'll be raising it approx 14db in Audition. I want to do some (minor) EQ. My question is what is the "best practice" here?  EQ the show BEFORE raising the levels or EQ the show AFTER raising the levels? Also I imagine most dither and then re-sample (in that order) is that correct?

--- End quote ---

I always get the levels up before EQ. In a break from standard practice I add dynamics after EQ. I find that the gentle compression that I add to my recordings works better if I EQ first.

Can't comment on resample or dither - I record in 24bit/44.1kHz so I leave it as is.

Gutbucket:
If resampling to a higher rate, there may be some advantage to doing so prior to EQ.
If resampling to a lower rate, best practice would be to do so after EQ.

In general its best to make gross level adjustments prior to EQ, but if you are doing the level adjustment and EQing in the same editing software and saving a new file after all your editing manipulations, it doesn't really matter if you EQ first or adjust levels first, as the signal is represented within the much larger 32-bit floating-point calculation space within the software editor until is is saved as output.

Bit reduction should should always be your last processing step, other than tracking if you do that outside of your editing software.  Dither when reducing bit depth, which is usually done as a single processing step (dither being applied just prior to truncating the excess bits).

ThePiedPiper:
Thank you Goodcooker and Gutbucket for the knowledge. It's the eternal hunt for "the best methods". I appreciate any and all knowledge.

opsopcopolis:
If you’re just raising levels it doesn’t really matter. With any sort of dynamics, you should always EQ first, as you don’t want frequencies that you are cutting to have an effect on the compression

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version