Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in Mono rooms  (Read 18946 times)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:Taping in Mono rooms
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2003, 12:58:57 AM »
I never said that the seats left and right would sound the same.

but you did!...  ;)

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1722;start=45

if you always want to be right Tim, no problem, please just say so.

but if you're going to disagree with someone, please be prepared to back up your opinion.  just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they have some kind of negative attitude.  please get over yourself.  

i see no need for sending numerous nasty private messages.  ;)

but that's beside the point here.  we're all waiting to hear what bands run in stereo if you have the time.  i think this information should be shared, as this could have a major impact on how we tape PA systems, and is a pretty important subject.  

peace

~S

« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 10:45:53 AM by hippies »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2003, 07:08:20 AM »
>>Besides DMB what other big bands punk out and go with mono mixes?<<

the list is a lot easier if you just name what big bands run stereo, because it's not a big list

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2003, 08:22:16 AM »

the list is a lot easier if you just name what big bands run stereo, because it's not a big list

I am always amazed how everyone assumes that DMB is the ONLY one running mono...yet when pressured can never give you an answer of who runs stereo.....

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »
I cant recall too many stereo shows ive seen recently... I know Dylan runs stereo,a nd Im pretty sure the Neil shows from summer of 2000 used a stereo rig, but ill have to check tapes.
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Tim

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2003, 01:03:31 PM »

I am always amazed how everyone assumes that DMB is the ONLY one running mono...yet when pressured can never give you an answer of who runs stereo.....

Sorry Scott B., Nick  and all for my poor phrasing... just being sarcastic as usual. DMB is definitely not the only one running mono, I'd love to see who else is just for my own curiosity. Serious question, just put out there in an unserious manner... my bad!

Tim

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2003, 01:49:45 PM »
I never said that the seats left and right would sound the same.

but you did!...  ;)

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1722;start=45

if you always want to be right Tim, no problem, please just say so.

but if you're going to disagree with someone, please be prepared to back up your opinion.  just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they have some kind of negative attitude.  please get over yourself.  

i see no need for sending numerous nasty private messages.  ;)

but that's beside the point here.  we're all waiting to hear what bands run in stereo if you have the time.  i think this information should be shared, as this could have a major impact on how we tape PA systems, and is a pretty important subject.  

peace

~S

Okay, I re-read what I said and I still don't see where I said that each seat left and right would recieve the same sound. I said the same thing that I have been saying this whole time. Each cabinet throws to a specific point in the room. Read it again, I don't see where you are coming up with this.

At this point I don't think you are actually reading what I am saying or have said. I can't make it any clearer for you. If someone other than Scott would like to step up and point out to me what I need to clarify I would really appreciate it. Either I am not clear or Scott is not understanding and I'd like to fix the problem either way  :)

I have no need to be correct all of the time. I love discussion and disagreements, that is what I do all day long.

If you don't like what I told you in private, keep it private. You've been around the internet long enough to know that.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2003, 02:25:25 PM »
So, then, theoretically, if most shows are in mono, why don't we stack tape pretty much all the time?  I have been under the impression that the sweet spot is still the best place to tape, irregardless of mono/stereo setups.  Is this not true?  Woul;d the best, most realistically representation of what is being played be captured directly in fron of a stereo stack?  Also, say in a small bar, and under the assumption that one has free riegn to setup wherever they so desire, how close to a stack would be too close assuming that the moitors are putting out all the frequencies at once!

Daryan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2003, 02:37:04 PM »
So, then, theoretically, if most shows are in mono, why don't we stack tape pretty much all the time?  I have been under the impression that the sweet spot is still the best place to tape, irregardless of mono/stereo setups.  Is this not true?

This is a great question. My opinion would be that we would want to run from the sweet spot in all cases.  However, running in the sweet spot has it's own set of problems...namely that some bands shoot video for the vid screens from the soundboard and therefore you cant run higher than head height.  Crowd noise could end up killing the tape, even if it is a perfectly centered recording.  

There is definitely more to this discussion...interested in seeing where it goes....

Nick

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2003, 02:46:08 PM »
so just had another thought....It may be a safe statement to say that clubs and theaters run stereo mix....they are so small that a person on one side of the room is not far enough from the other sound source to miss it, but when you get into coliseums, sheds and stadiums is where the problem would be compounded, I think.

Nick

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2003, 03:18:49 PM »
right, Nick.  this is what i'm getting at here.  larger venues are just not conducive to stereo configs.  small venues, sure.  but the problems in presenting a stereo image over a wide area simply outweigh the effort or benefit of the attempt.    

sure, some larger bands do use a stereo config for certain effects they want to add to their show.  Pink Floyd comes to mind.  however, these bigger bands using stereo are few and far between.  if you can't tell by listening, or are in doubt at a show, it never hurts to ask one of the techs if you can catch them when not busy.  done this quite a few times.  ;)

peace

~S      

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2003, 04:17:38 PM »
I would say that MOST of the bands that I see run a stereo config.  Mono IS NOT 95% of the same music being played through both L and R speakers.  Mono IS 100% of the same music being played through both L and R speakers.  Line arrays most certainly can be configured to run in stereo and I believe SCI and Phil and Friends, along with TOO this past summer/fall all ran Stereo PA's.

Why we don't run stack tapes at all venues, even if mixed mono?  Well, if it's a theater or club, you may still get a small amount of stereo imaging from the stage, and therefore we'd be better off running from the sweet spot.  If you wanna capture the room, or 'being-there' sound, then run from the room, not 3' from a stack.

I don't think I'd ever purposely run a stack tape for any band unless it was the only way.  Large outdoor venues or VERY shitty sounding indoor venues running mono PA's would be the exception to that rule.  Right now, I can only think of one band that would apply, and that's DMB... even them, I'd rather run from the sweet spot, but there'd be 1000 teenage girls screaming into the mics all night ;)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2003, 05:50:49 PM »
I'd rather run from the sweet spot, but there'd be 1000 teenage girls

Who said that's NOT the sweet spot?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 05:51:35 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2003, 05:53:12 PM »
hehe... I didn't wanna go there, but now that you mention it :)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2003, 06:33:21 PM »
who else runs mono?

i'll list who i've seen in the past few months who had a mono mix, yes, some will be totally random, but hey, i taped some random shit.

def leppard
ben harper and the innocent criminals
flecktones were mono last week (which is weird)
peter gabriel
bruce springsteen
ben folds
beck
the flaming lips
david bowie
gnr
norah jones
david gray
coldplay
toad the wet sprocket
counting crows
rusted root
kansas
reo speedwagon

what was stereo?  mule, allmans (@ the beacon, i'm not convinced they're stereo at amphitheaters), kimock, hornsby, pat mcgee band (1% stereo).  that might be it.  robert randolph

i'm forgetting a lot of bands i taped in the past year, but they'd all fall under the mono category
« Last Edit: April 15, 2003, 06:39:27 PM by scott brown »

Tim

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2003, 06:49:31 PM »
how many of those bands tour with a PA and how many use either a house system or where using a rented house system?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com