Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping in gyms  (Read 5505 times)

Offline dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
taping in gyms
« on: October 09, 2002, 07:48:52 PM »
hello, i just taped my second show on tuesday(rusted root at loyola chicago)! the show was in a small gym- a little bigger than a high school gym. the sound was terrible, and the p.a. was low, like less than ten feet.
       i have audio technica cardiod condenser mics>ps2>ad20>md(i know, really cheap). anyway, i like the sound of ortf, but i ran the mics at a little less than 90 degrees, because i was afraid of the bad sounding room.   Was this the best way to run the mics? How will I find out? sorry, these questions probably don't make sense      
thanks,      dave chapman

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
Re:taping in gyms
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 10:24:37 PM »
hey dave,
Sounds like high ceilings, which is a nightmare. If I were taping it, I would probaly ask the guy running mix if he is running stereo. For a small event like that, it is likely he is running mono. In that case I would bring the AT as close to one of the speaker cabinet sets as possible, trying to point it in between the sub cabinet and the high. Tilted slightly away from the subs. I'd walk up to them while he is playing pre show music an move my head around till I found a sweet spot and put my mic right there. Those AT's can take the pressure levels, if you can.

If it's stereo, and you are running XY, position youeself as close to the speakers as you can while still being able to see the front  of the high freq cabinet pretty well. Again, listen. thats the best way to tell. Opening bands are great for that. That's what I would do, however... I am sure there are alot of well calculated ways to approach it. Listen, then setup.

Good Luck!
Bri

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com