Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mk22 advice wanted  (Read 1197 times)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mk22 advice wanted
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 10:06:04 AM »
Thanks for all advice!

I owned these and they were, by far, my favourite Schoeps caps to run and I pulled some AMAZING recordings with them.  Depending on if a show was mixed mono (and in many cases, the ones down on the "beach" in Toronto were), I would simply pick a stack and stand about five or six rows back with my hat tilted towards the speakers.   I generally do PAS when using a hat anyhow... if I could only own one set of caps, these would probably be it.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2024, 12:46:43 AM »
Wide card is mathematically halfway between cardioid and omni.
In a good sounding spot, these should be the semi-directional butter!

:headphones: :headphones: :headphones:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 01:53:24 PM »
Wide card is mathematically halfway between cardioid and omni.
In a good sounding spot, these should be the semi-directional butter!

:headphones: :headphones: :headphones:
Most likely the reason I love my Line Audio CM3's.  Definitely not the same mic but a lot more affordable.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 10:36:52 PM »
The mk22s have become my favorite caps, and I've used 4s, 5s, 21s, and 41s. When deployed properly, their sound is everything I'm looking for: detailed yet expansive, warm but not dark, and capable of great imagining and a rock solid sound stage.

I use them 4' split in an OMT4 config, with 41s in the center, outdoors and in reasonable-sounding rooms. Also, had I Nick modify my actives to put a binder m & f inline on one cable, so I can use a binder extension cable to split them as much as 17'. Most commonly, I split them 6' to 14' onstage, about a foot up from the lip, at 8"-10" off the deck, and they are amazing in that setting, producing a wonderful, clearly separated image. Matrix with a pair of 41s ortf above the drums, and vocals off the monitor mixer. Getting my best recordings of Steely Dead this way, to my ears.

Here's an example, a bit of soundcheck from Kona:
https://archive.org/details/sd2024-02-24.matrix
About 2 minutes in, during the keys solo, is a good example of the sound stage, w keys & guitar on L, drums C-R, and bass R.

After 40+ years of recording, learning so much these days. What a blast!
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:34:15 AM »
Thanks much!
I just got home from recording Black Pumas. I was 5th row from the stage.
I used the mk22s in a dina hat mount.
My first impressions: much more omni sound than cardioid sound. Full rich sound without being too bass heavy. The show was very bass heavy but the mk22s capture this beautiful without being boomy. It will require a bit more work in post (screamers, clapping etc.) I think I prefer this sound over cardioid and hyper cardioid.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:36:58 AM by robeti »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 05:27:13 PM »
Thanks much!
My first impressions: much more omni sound than cardioid sound. Full rich sound without being too bass heavy. The show was very bass heavy but the mk22s capture this beautiful without being boomy. It will require a bit more work in post (screamers, clapping etc.) I think I prefer this sound over cardioid and hyper cardioid.

There are times where the 41's are clutch but if you're up close, the 22's are gold as you've just learned.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:12:38 PM »
Thanks much!

I ran my HO subcards in dina quite often. The high end is very directional but the low end seemed to end up sounding very mono due to the caps being placed close together. I did it this way to minimize my footprint when recording onstage same idea as what you can fit in a hat. Best compromise for the result.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:36:15 PM »
There are times where the 41's are clutch but if you're up close, the 22's are gold as you've just learned.

The mk22s have become my favorite caps, and I've used 4s, 5s, 21s, and 41s. When deployed properly, their sound is everything I'm looking for: detailed yet expansive, warm but not dark, and capable of great imagining and a rock solid sound stage.

I use them 4' split in an OMT4 config, with 41s in the center, outdoors and in reasonable-sounding rooms. [snip]

Don't mean to take this OT, but one of the design intentions of OMT4 is to accommodate a wide range of taper situations via the ability to tweak the balance between the two very different yet complementary stereo pairs by leaning a bit more on one verses the other as needed, sometimes even working cross-balances between the two.  Open patterns like Mk22 and mk21 are particularly attractive for this as I see them as inhabiting something of a sweet spot over on the omni side side of continuum of pickup patterns, with super/hypercardioid inhabiting a similar position on the opposite bi-directional side, and the 50/50 "cardioid-compromise" inhabiting the middle.  The pattern-continuum sweet spots strike me as being not 100% omni nor 100% bi-directional fig-8, nor a straight 50/50 combination of the two like a straight cardioid, but more of a Goldilocks "just right" balance on either side.  Seems to make an especially good combination when both pairs are arranged to work together and support each other as a team without elbowing in too much on what the other does well.

An interesting irony is that OMT4 still works and remains robust when setup the inverse way. That is, setup either in the typical way with the highly directional pair in the center (X/Y supercards, say) with the more open pattern pair spaced out to either side, or in the opposite way with the more open pattern in the coincident center (say as a Mid/Side pair with mk22 Mid, mk8 Side) and the more directional supercard pair spaced out to either side of that in PAS.

Over the past weekend I was going through some SD cards and ended up listening to an OMT4 setup I recorded a few years back similar to that, which used a much more open MG cardioid as Mid in the center M/S pair and MG m21 supercards in the wide pair positions.  Direct PA clarity was primarily contributed by the wider spaced supercard pair while the ambience, depth, sense of space and dimension were primarily contributed by the more open-cardioidish M/S center pair, rather than the other way around.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com