Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 65422 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2005, 12:12:28 AM »
I don't recall where I read it but reverting is not a problem.

I installed fridays firmware release prior to this evening's Code Talkers show and did not experience any problem.

DISCLAIMER:  I also did not have a problem with the previous release until I had about 8 hours of music captured, so YMMV.

If you haven't seen the CodeTalkers with Herring, go.  The show fucking smoked and Herring is, without any doubt, a guitar god.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2005, 09:33:43 AM »
So Joe got a media too slow error last night midway into the first set...after a fresh format and drive repair before the show. 

What firmware is in that box?  I didn't have any of these media speed problems prior to the most recent firmware update and I was hammering on the drive with all kids of fragmentation causing file manupilations over firewire.  This may be a latent bug, but it seems to be a causal relationship beterrn the appearence of these errors and the last firmware installation.

My opinion is that this has nothing at all to do with the speed of the media device.  This is a bug in the new firmware.  I want to know how that media speed error is detected.  If it is reported as media speed but is really a buffer overflow problem in the sample flow, that could be any number of things not at all related to the HD performance.

The stock 744T ships with a 5400rpm drive capable of sustained recording at 192/24 over 4 channels.  At  2 channels of 24/96, this thing should be getting bored at 1/4th the expected datarate.

I think you hit the nail on the head. it has to be a bug in the new firmware. we had NO issues before the upgrade, and we did 10 shows at 24/96 without a problem.

this thread is somewhat rediculous and its frustrating to see a great product and company getting some undeserved bashing

i have seen zero problems with the stock drive...i know some of the people complaining on this thread are using aftermarket upgrade drives...methinks you might have created some of these problems yourself

also, regularly formatting the drive on this type of device should be standard practice...its a recorder, not a storage device

-clear drive of contents
-reformat
-record show
-copy recordings to workstation
-verify md5s on both sides
-delete from recorder
-reformat

the fiesystem checking/format tools on the 722/744 itself are going to be less sophisticated that those available from the workstatoin itself...as witnessed by the defragmentation issues...these are only aggrevated by the fact you are dealing with large files that are easily fragmented even with minimal overall drive fragmentation

have the people having problems tried running "chkdsk <drive> /r" from their workstation connected to the device?

i will repeat...

-i have seen no problems with transfers over firewire (EVER) (all at 24/96)
-i have seen no probems with HD recording media (EVER) (again all at 24/96)
-i have had problems with CF media with the original firmware, but that is a different issue since resolved

i am using the stock HD and i typically reformat the HD before each recording run

get that old garbage off the recorder and/or cleanup that drive using the workstation

boogie

I see your point boogie, but does the box not have problems? several?! You pay 2500 bucks for a device, it should work properly. I don't want to update firmware every 5 days and when I do, i expect it to fix bugs, not create them.....I don't want to pass md5s back and forth, that's rediculous. I think the bashing on here has been quite tame. I have yet to even begin to express my frustration with this box. since the new firmware, several drive repairs and a reformat, I have taped 4 shows and walked away with 1 stinking complete show, and that was only at 24/48.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2005, 09:37:13 AM »
I really sympathize with you guys. That thing should be rock solid with all the extra time they took to get it out.

I've been running two seperate rigs since I've had the R-4.

I just don't like having to pay for the honor of being a beta tester.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2005, 09:46:33 AM »

I just don't like having to pay for the honor of being a beta tester.

JAson

exactly.
2016 National Champions

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2005, 09:56:22 AM »
I feel bad for the people that sell their v3, mini me, for this box.  if you ask me the SD is over priced/overrated and yet has problems.
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2005, 10:01:34 AM »
I think you hit the nail on the head. it has to be a bug in the new firmware. we had NO issues before the upgrade, and we did 10 shows at 24/96 without a problem.

FWIW-
Joe, I upgraded the firmware before the Fox run, so it was fine during the Truckers show (old FW) and fine during the Fox run.  The issues are coming after 10-11 hours of use.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2005, 10:33:12 AM »
I feel bad for the people that sell their v3, mini me, for this box. if you ask me the SD is over priced/overrated and yet has problems.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but imo, the box sounds fantastic, and as stated earlier, I have had no problems that weren't user created.  Tim and Carrington ran a V2 in front of the 722 at panic on saturday and the tape sounded great, though I am not convinced how much of it was attributable to the V2 vs. it being the first time we ran it outside as compared to having run it indoors before...I am guessing there may be a difference, and it may be audible, but I am doubting it will be enough to convince me to carry a 6Volt again, an extra box, and more cables to fail (and if it is the minime, deal with the crap ergonomics). 

As for the problems that are having, yes it is absolutely frustrating...and I agree with Joe, to not walk away with a tape because a ~$2400 device fails sucks....That being said, I have had cases where I have not walked away with a tape, when the D100 misloaded, when the cables had shorts, when the SBM1 got too hot, when the MP2/V3/Deck/SBM1 Batts died, etc....bottom line, in those cases, I had alot more places for an error to occur.  With my current setup MG200s->cables->722, I have less spots for failure, no more external batts to carry, resulting in a smaller setup and lighter bag, and a great sounding 24 bit solution.

I have no doubt they will fix these problems....honestly sound devices and grace are the only 2 vendors in this arena who imo are at the tops of customer service...sound devices has always gone to the next level to address issues for me in the past, and appears to be doing it now as well..but as I said earlier..everyone is entitled to their opinion....

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2005, 10:42:30 AM »
what happens at 24/48? does the message show up?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2005, 10:43:14 AM »

Joe didnt have it come up on Saturday night....

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »
I feel bad for the people that sell their v3, mini me, for this box. if you ask me the SD is over priced/overrated and yet has problems.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but imo, the box sounds fantastic

I'll second this: the box does sound fantastic.  I have not yet done the V3 high res comparison but my feeling is that I may just hang with the 722 by itself.  There is a bit of warmth or low end presence that differs from the V3+ANSR.  I find it to be a good compliment to the SD neumanns.

I have yet to even begin to express my frustration with this box.

You should have seen my the posts before I decided to edit them ;-) Losing the DAR fob recording was a heartbreaker.

BTW, the new firmware seems to have fixed the HD repair utility.  I ran it after the update but before a format and the old unrepairable errors were corrected this time.   In response to the opinion that I should not expect robust file system utilities on a device like this, wrong!  A device like this should have extensive testing and recovery capabilities because it is a field device.  Unlike my sorry ass attempts to pull a decent tape, there are guys who make their living with these things and they deserve to have exceptional tools available to ensure their captures make it home.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2005, 11:03:56 AM »
Losing the DAR fob recording was a heartbreaker.

Now, I'm pissed :P

I really wanted to hear that tape
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2005, 11:16:08 AM »
Losing the DAR fob recording was a heartbreaker.

Now, I'm pissed :P

I really wanted to hear that tape

Yes, there were many unkind words spoken in the direction of Reedsburg WI.

I did get some chunks of it off the drive before the reformat.   If you want to hear those just to get a sense of how it sounded, I can offer those up.  I haven't tried to track them yet, it's too painful.  But I could do it this week.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2005, 12:01:37 PM »

but we did yesterday in columbia @ 24/48. 5 mins. into the damn show. as far as I'm concerned, I have NO confidence in this box right now......and that pretty much makes it a POS in my book. That's a little harsh, but so is leaving a great show with an incomplete tape after running 21's from 12th row center...or 6' split 2's fob.
2016 National Champions

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2005, 12:02:17 PM »
Well, I'm gonna try this 1.32 for tonight ... hope this works.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »

but we did yesterday in columbia @ 24/48. 5 mins. into the damn show. as far as I'm concerned, I have NO confidence in this box right now......and that pretty much makes it a POS in my book. That's a little harsh, but so is leaving a great show with an incomplete tape after running 21's from 12th row center...or 6' split 2's fob.

Unacceptable IMO

i think the only folks who are backing it up are the ones that are trying to justify the 2500 they dropped on it :P

and hard disk messages are a random thing, shorts/batts/misloads are MOST times user errors, not device errors :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com