Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: playback-pr0n  (Read 57019 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: playback-pr0n
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2005, 09:54:28 PM »
Music Hall CD-25 with upgraded op-amps (OPA627)>Cardas Neutral Reference .5M>Sennheiser HE60/HEV70 (aka Baby Orpheus)

Nice headphone rig, I'd like to get a new amp for the cans though. 

This is a great thread btw, i gotta go back and see pics of everyone's rigs...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 10:37:24 PM by gloco »
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2005, 10:21:23 PM »
Scott,

How do you like the rockets at curiosity?  Are they the sig version or not?

That room is quite nice, what are you using for treatments?  Tweaks?

D

I have really enjoyed the rockets.  I got them when they first came out (right about the time Mark stopped selling Swans due to the pending B&W lawsuit) after I bought the Swan 4.1's that I think you own now!  ;D  I sold them to Jonny.  They have a pretty laid back sound, but the new sig's change that.  The center is the best I've heard hands down.  This was directly compared to a B&W HTM1 (the big B&W w/ FST drivers).  They use the same vifa driver as the custom Von Schweikerts (VR-4 SEIII, VR-4SR).  Like anything else I'm sure I'll change someday.  The cabinets are of great build quality as well.  Much better than most of the garbage coming out of China these days.  I'm pretty sure Mark is now making cabinets for VMPS and a few others.

Room treatments are all based off of Knauf duct liner.  True RTA was used to take room measurements.  Most difficult part is finding that happy medium between a theater room, multi channel audio and 2 channel.  Finding that "live" but also "dead" sound is hard.  Had to make some sacrifice to get this where it would work well for both.  Next house= 2 rooms!  For the most part I'm happy with the system for right now.  Next year I will be upgrading to something like the Anthem D1 or Aragon Stage One and EAD Powermaster amp or similar.  Anybody wants me to take a look at a room I'd be more than happy to help you spend some money.  Actually, I'm helping a buddy right now.  He is going all out with motorized theater seats and riser.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2005, 10:30:14 PM »
I actually just parted with the Swans.  The upgrade bug had been absolutely killing me, and bonus time was right around the corner, so I paid, in cash for once, for a new pair of VMPS 626r's with all the fillings.  They are being built by Brain Cheney as we speak.  The upgraded cabinets are directly ordered somehow or another from Mark of rocket fame.  I actually had one of Mark's reps walk me through fixing one of the cabinets of one of the swans as UPS abasolutely destroyed one of the corners (long story) on the way to my buyer.  Thanks god for insurance and lawyers!  I loved the swans, so I was kind of assuming they were of similar sound.  The 1000's look awfully tempting for when I move back East come early next year for my agency.  I should be buying a place and can actully house two systems, two and HT.  I would love to take a listen sometime, and bring the 626's with!

D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2005, 10:58:30 PM »
Looks great!!!!!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jessedscott

« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2005, 11:16:09 PM »
god DAMN Cervin! So can we watch the super bowl at your pad next year? :P

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2005, 02:16:28 AM »
wow, all of this stuff is fun to look at.

Can I ask roughly how much did some of you guys spend on this stuff.  Not including the tvs and junk, but mostly just the amps, speakers, receivers, and cd/dvd players.  doesn't have to be exact, just estimates if you don't mind.

I'm hoping that one day when i'm finally happy with my taping rig i can start working on my home audio setup.  Just wondering how much money i'm gonna have to drop one day.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2005, 07:44:36 AM »
6 grand and counting...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2005, 07:52:14 AM »
m0K3-  Don't ever get rid of that Plinius.  Man what great amps!  Speaker placement rocks, my wife would shoot me before that ever happend.  Well done my man!

Scott B-  Great setup!  Arcam gear looking sharp as always.  The guy I deal with just moved companies and no longer can get that Arcam gear at a great price.  I should have taken advantage while I could.  Do you find the amp getting hot under there?

JDS- Sure thing, $2 squares paying out $50/quarter

gloco- How do you like that CD-25.  I like the mods many are doing to these players.  The Onix version at $299 is a steal, and they are having folks perform the mods in house in the near future.  Level 1 mod players are going for $650 now (1+ are $750).

Lil Kim- loving the Pulsars right now!  Will be getting the RS Audio Silver Illume soon.

Great rooms guys!  Wish I had some of the amps you guy are running!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2005, 08:20:49 AM »
gloco- How do you like that CD-25.  I like the mods many are doing to these players.  The Onix version at $299 is a steal, and they are having folks perform the mods in house in the near future.  Level 1 mod players are going for $650 now (1+ are $750).

I'm loving it but i'm also considering going all out with mods (level 3) because i'm planning on purchasing a DIY amp for the headphones (KGSS).  It sounds quite smooth and extended.  I consider it pretty much non-fatiguing and can listen to it for hours and it seems to have just as open a sound at a very low volume. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2005, 08:49:25 AM »
wow, all of this stuff is fun to look at.

Can I ask roughly how much did some of you guys spend on this stuff.  Not including the tvs and junk, but mostly just the amps, speakers, receivers, and cd/dvd players.  doesn't have to be exact, just estimates if you don't mind.

I'm hoping that one day when i'm finally happy with my taping rig i can start working on my home audio setup.  Just wondering how much money i'm gonna have to drop one day.

Agreed--this is a fun thread, I love seeing other people's rooms.

I have had up to $30k in equipment, but I find about $15k to be the sweet spot.  Any more and I feel bad having so much money tied up in it, and I don't enjoy it as much.  Right now I'm a little high.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2005, 09:41:18 AM »
wow, i'm at about $600 right now, around $1000 if you count the tv.  guess i'm 1/15th of the way there. haha.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2005, 09:45:34 AM »
  Right now I'm a little high.

Wake and bake?  ;) :D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2005, 09:51:11 AM »

Scott B-  Great setup!  Arcam gear looking sharp as always.  The guy I deal with just moved companies and no longer can get that Arcam gear at a great price.  I should have taken advantage while I could.  Do you find the amp getting hot under there?

i got lucky with my p7/av8 combo.  a dealer was selling showroom equipment for under half price. 

i haven't had a heat problem with the amp at all.  there are no sides to the shelves,  so the p7 amp is sitting in there and there is a ton of open space to its left, going out to the side of the whole unit.  so it's not in an enclosed space at all.  i'm not sure how it'd be if it was.  i do know that it's definitely not lacking power when all 7 channels are hooked up :)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2005, 09:55:52 AM »
wow, i'm at about $600 right now, around $1000 if you count the tv.  guess i'm 1/15th of the way there. haha.

My amp, a Premier 11A, has a going rate $1500 on audiogon.  It replaced an MF2300 that I had for a few years.  I sold that for the $1200 I paid for it.   So in my mind, I only paid $300 for the 11A.

Remember that we didn't all just go out and buy this gear at once.  Most of these systems are the result of incremental upgrades over as much time as a decade.  The thing that has helped me is that I'm patient.  I do my research and watch a few sales cycles on agon.  I usually buy gear at a price near the low end of the range.  As a result, I get to use the gear for almost no cost until I upgrade.   If you can devote 20/wk (less than the cost to feed Sally Struthers for a day), you can do incremental upgrades over about 5 years and have a system that lists for over $10K.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2005, 09:58:01 AM »
The greatest accomplishment is the placement of my left speaker! ;D

The great respect I already held for you has more than doubled after seeing that ;-).  I need you to coach me through the room treatments battle.  Do you do onsite counseling?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com