Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Varying length LC3 cables?  (Read 10273 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Varying length LC3 cables?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 11:04:15 AM »
lemosax works with the neumann's... I have the tapes to prove it :)

So the /LS is generic and may be used with a variety of active cable + cap systems?  Cool, I thought it might be manufacturer specific, i.e. the Neumann actives / cap requirements are different from Schoeps.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 11:42:11 AM »
AFAIK - there is just the /LS and there is no further customization required to use neumann's or schoeps.... I have some neumann actives in my closet still but no caps, otherwise we could test it when you fly out here
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 11:56:43 AM »
The Sonosax SX-M2/LS is 'generic' in the sense that it will work with several microphone systems.  The SX-M2/LS2 has the same LEMO connectors as well as a Schoeps-specific BINDER connection for the Schoeps KCY active cable.  In theory, there's probably no reason that you couldn't also use this connector with Neumann caps and cables if you wired up a BINDER connector on your cables following the correct spec.

From the SX-M2 manual on sonosax.com:
16. SPECIAL VERSIONS

* SX-M2/LS

Designed for use by sound engineers, working frequently with the same pair of condenser or electret microphones, this version provides the same high quality amplification and features as the SX-M2.

The difference between the two versions is that the SX-M2/LS allows the user to directly connect the capsules without the microphone body thus creating a significant diminution of power consumption.

Technical changes

To be able to place the electronics of the microphone body inside the SX-M2/LS, LEMO connectors are used instead of the NEUTRIK XLR for the microphone inputs.

LEMO in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

LEMO in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

The SX-M2/LS can be used for all condenser or electret microphones having the possibility of changing the capsules on the microphone body, such as: Colette series of Schoeps, Blue Line of Sanken, or the similar line of Neumann.

It is important for these kind of microphones to use a good quality active cable. When buying the cable from a microphone manufacturer, do inform them that the amplification electronics often used in the cables is not required.

The translation from French was clearly pretty poor.  For the microphone compatibility, the original in French is easier to understand:
La série Colette de Schoeps, Blue Line de AKG, Sanken Cos 11 ou encore le système KM100 de Neumann.
ie: Schoeps Collette series, AKG Blue Lines, Sanken COS11, or the Neumannn KM100 system.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 05:57:05 AM »
AFAIK - there is just the /LS and there is no further customization required to use neumann's or schoeps.... I have some neumann actives in my closet still but no caps, otherwise we could test it when you fly out here

weren't looking to sell the LC3s were ya?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 10:58:33 AM »
nope, holding on for a bit longer.... they might be the base for my next rig if I ever find a job :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 02:47:49 PM »
Nobody ever *really* leaves team Neumann!!   ;)
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »
true, true!

I've actually really been liking the sound of the 140's lately. I think they have a tone that really sounds great on my tubes

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2005, 03:44:32 PM »
true, true!

I've actually really been liking the sound of the 140's lately. I think they have a tone that really sounds great on my tubes

tubes warm up and detail that neumann low end eh?

gosh i need a decent playback....badly

Offline Stuartw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »
Hello,

My name is Stu and I'm new here. Unfortunately I am starting with a question rather than some input to someone else's question but hopefully I will be able to reciprocate at some point. I have chosen to resurrect this topic as it is exactly what I am trying to do. I have tried shortening an old style LC-3 cable to around 50cm and although I still get a signal when attaching my Ak40 to Km100 it is at a very low level I'm guessing maybe a 20 or 30dB drop. This holds true when connecting with just the 50cm shortened LC-3 or with a further 10m Neumann extension Lemo to Lemo cable as well.

My intended use is as a super lightweight boom mic for run and gun TV sound work where I would have an Ak40 or 50 in a small Rycote suspension with a breakaway connector at the bottom of the basket and around 5m of "active" cable running to the KM100 body in my bag. I am talking to Neumann about my plan but I am currently working through the scripted marketing type responses stage.

Thanks for any help.

Stuart

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com